Days of Black and Gold

Why Do I Keep Staring down the Barrel of a Loaded Gun?

You would think that trying to find someone, as famous as the Sidney Crosby, would be easy in the Pittsburgh International Airport. For me, this was not the case.

My flight had landed on time, the baggage seemed quicker than usual, yet I was still pacing twenty minutes later. I had checked outside for any sign of the brunette. Nothing.

I was beginning to think that he had forgotten about me, when an airport official approached me and asked that I follow him. Hoping I wasn’t in trouble, I followed him to a separate area, away from the crowds of flyers.

“I’m sorry if we’ve scared you in any way, Ms Fayne.” He held a door open for me. “Mr Crosby wanted to come in, but thought it would be better if you met him in the staff parking.”

“Somehow, I wouldn’t expect anything less,” I chuckled. “Thank you so much. If he didn’t already say it, we really appreciate how discrete you are being.”

“Anything for Mr Crosby,” the man smiled. “He’s always very kind when he comes through.”

I sent him a smile and a nod of agreement. It was hard to believe that Sidney would be anything other than kind to others. He was never publicized as rude.

“He’s just out this door,” he explained, pushing the door open for me again. “The black Range Rover.”

“Thanks,” I said, before turning and managing to get myself and my bags down the set of metal stairs.

Noticing my struggle, Sidney hopped out of the vehicle and walked over to me. “It’s good to see you.”

“You, too,” I grinned and glanced back to see that the official had disappeared. Leaning up, I kissed Sidney’s cheek. “Thank you for picking me up.”

“No problem. Sorry I was a bit late. I pulled into the parking lot, and was going to come in, but got bombarded right there. I thought it might be better to be a bit more inconspicuous. You look nice, by the way.”

“Come on, Sid,” I said in disbelief. I had chosen a pair of black leggings, knee high black boots and an old pullover for my short flight across the state. My hair was pulled into a messy top knot, and I hadn’t even bothered to put on makeup. “I look like shit.”

“I don’t think you do,” he admitted, placing my large suitcase into the back of his SUV. “I hope it’s okay. I made plans for tonight.”

“What kind of plans?” I asked, sliding into the passenger seat.

“Kris and his wife were asking if we’d want to go on a double date,” he explained, throwing the vehicle into gear and maneuvering out of the parking lot. “It’s just the four of us, at a low key restaurant.”

“Kris?” I raised a brow. “Like as in Letang?”

“Yeah, is that okay?”

“Of course,” I nodded.

“I also hope it’s okay that I drop you off at his place. He’s closer to the rink than me, and I need to get to work.”

“Sid, it’s fine.”

“Cath will be there. She even offered to help find you a dress.”

“That’s very kind of her.”

The drive was filled with idle chit chat, until we pulled in front of what I assumed to be the home of Kris Letang and his family.

“Should I be nervous?” I muttered, feeling a bit queasy.

“Not at all,” Sidney shook his head. “They are excited to meet you.” He pulled my bags from the back. “Cath wants to see what you brought with you. She’s finding it hard to believe that someone who works with the Capitals doesn’t have anything worth wearing to a banquet.”

“I don’t go to events,” I shrugged, following him up to the house. I hit the doorbell, hoping to be helpful, since Sidney was carrying a not so light bag for me.

A brunette, taller than Sidney, opened the door and grinned. “Sid, come in. It’s Margot, right?”

I nodded, taken away by how different my name sounded coming from the French Canadian’s lips.

“Margot, this is Kris Letang.”

“Nice to officially meet you,” Kris said, moving to the side to let them in. “When I told Cath about Sid’s girlfriend, she was very excited to meet you.”

“I would be excited, too, except Sid didn’t tell me I was meeting you two until the ride over.”

“Well, make yourself comfortable. Cath will be down in a minute. She had to change Alex’s shirt. The boy loves painting, but makes a huge mess.”

“Are you two off, then?”

“We don’t want to be late,” Sidney piped up.

“Cath,” Kris hollered. “We are leaving. Margot is here.”

“Have a good practice,” she yelled back.

“We’ll be back in a couple hours,” Sidney told me, before kissing my cheek and exiting the house.

*Great* I thought, making my way around the corner and into what I suspected was the living room.

“You must be Margot.”

I turned on my heels and smiled at the blonde woman and the young boy in front of me. “That’s right. Cath, is it?”

“Short for Catherine, but please, call me Cath. This is Alex.”

“Hi, Alex,” I said, kneeling down so I was eye level with him.

“Hi,” he giggled.

“He’s going to be a heartbreaker,” I chuckled, standing back up.

“He’s definitely got Kris’ charm. Now, Sid was saying you don’t have anything to wear for tomorrow night’s event.”

“I’m just not sure that it is the best idea to show up with Sidney in a dress that shows off most of my tattoos.”

“Damn, girl,” she laughed. “Looking at you now, I’d never have guessed you have any.”

“Most people just see the one on my wrist and assume that’s all I have.”

“Let’s see it.”

I pushed the sleeves of my sweater up to my elbow, and held out my left wrist for her to inspect.

“Medical alert,” she observed. “I can see why people don’t think you have anymore.”

“Not the most interesting tattoo, unless you are the EMS.”

“Go put on the dress you brought. Sid said you were unsure about it.”

“Yeah, well, like I said, it doesn’t hide the ink well.” I grabbed my bag and followed the directions given to get to the guest room. I quickly changed into the black, off the shoulder dress and peeked at myself in the mirror before heading back out to the living room. “So?”

“You were right. That definitely doesn’t cover the thigh well enough, and you cannot wear nylons. Turn for me.”

I did as she asked, already knowing what she would be able to see.

“The art is very well done, but I don’t think you will get away with it at this event. Especially when no one knows you, and you’ll be on Sid’s arm.”

“I had a feeling,” I sighed, sitting down on the couch next to her.

“How far up does that one go?” She asked, pointing at my right leg.

“Up to my hip.”

“And on your shoulder?”

“It spans the entire right side of my back and a bit on the side, too. It stops at the top of my hip.”

“I never would have guessed. That must have taken a long time.”

“It did, but I love them.”

“Has Sid seen them?”

I shook my head and sighed. “I’ve been keeping them hidden. They cover a great deal of my body, and I’m just too uncertain on what he will think of them.”

“Well, in that case, let’s go get you a dress.”