Back to Black

Rehab.

2011

“So this week we’ve got two client meetings on Tuesday and then we definitely need to put something on the calendar with-” Quinn looked up from her planner as her assistant’s phone vibrate against the table for the fifth time in the past 20 minutes. Lila gave Quinn a sheepish smile and went to reach for her phone when it was snatched away. “Jesus Christ Lila! You told me you stopped talking to Jon after the Olympics.”

Lila nervously chewed on cap of her pen and sank a bit in her chair, “I mean… technically it’s not Jon?”

Quinn furrowed her brow and looked down at the buzzing phone in her hand, “Seriously Li, Mr. Jones? You couldn’t think of anything more original?”

“I thought it was funny.” Lila shrugged her shoulders as she grabbed her phone out of Quinn’s hand and opened Jon’s text message. She giggled to herself as read through his series of messages describing an unfortunate experience he had with his teammate, Patrick Kane, on their way home from the club the night before.

The lawyer sighed and signaled for the waiter to refill her glass of wine, “Well, I highly doubt we’ll be getting anymore work done today.” She made a few final notes in her planner before closing it and tossing it in her purse. Quinn watched as Lila would bite her lip and smile as she stared at her phone, “Have you always been attracted to men who were spoken for?”

Lila looked up from her phone as she replied to Jon’s text, “What do you mean?”

Quinn rolled her eyes, taking a sip of her drink, “Well for starters, Jon. You knew he had a girlfriend and that didn’t stop you.”

“One guy hardly constitutes as having a problem.” Lila grabbed a few french fries from Quinn’s plate and popped them in her mouth as her eyes followed a rather handsome looking man through the restaurant.

“AH! See! Right there! You’re doing it right now and don’t even realize it!” Quinn exclaimed quietly to avoid any unwanted attention.

Lila feigned hurt, “Since when is it a crime to admire a good looking guy? Sue me, you can take it out of my paycheck.”

Quinn laughed and leaned back in her chair, “You don’t even realize it do you?”

“Realize what?” Lila asked.

“That guy was married! He had the ring on his finger and lovely looking wife walking in front of him.” Quinn laid out the evidence for Lila with a smug look on her face, “I’ve seen you do it a hundred times. You have a thing for guys in relationships.”

Lila nearly choked on her water as she thought back to to past several men she had been with. All but one has either seeing someone or married. She sighed and folded her arms on the table, dropping her head into them with a dramatic sigh. “I’m never drinking again… I just needed a friend!”

“Friend my ass.” Quinn bit out, “I was your friend that night. My husband was your friend that night. You know what you need?”

The assistant picked up her head and looked at Quinn with tired eyes, “What?”

Quinn smiled and held back a laugh as she stared at her assistant, “You need to go to rehab.”

Lila felt her eyes nearly bulge out of her head, “No, no, no. I don’t have time and everyone else seems to think I’m fine.”

The lawyer slipped their waitress a company credit card before turning her attention back to Lila, “Oh come on, you really think rehab like that would exist? All I’m saying is you have a problem that you need help with!” Quinn reached out and grabbed Lila’s free hand, giving it a tight squeeze with a gentle smile, “Let me help you. I’ll teach you how to only sleep with single guys.”

“There’s nothing you can teach me.” Lila pulled her hand back and began packing her work things back into her purse.

Quinn signed the receipt and slid the credit card back into her wallet, “Just here me out. I’ve got an idea that I think will solve all your problems.”

“Honestly Quinn, I think the only thing that can solve my problems comes in a shot glass.” Lila sighed as she stood from the table and grabbed the car keys from Quinn’s outstretched hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you amy.