Eden Is Dying

And God Said, "It was Good."

Castiel honestly did not mean to leave Dean in charge of the Eden's survival for six months. Searching for God had been harder than he had anticipated. Even with the pendant's help, God had proven to be as elusive as ever. Since time meant very little to angels, Castiel never thought of the repercussions of taking Dean without warning anyone. Thus a week into his search he received a frantic prayer from Sam. Surprising the youngest Winchester, he appeared in the bunker with a cocked head.

"Thank God, Cas!" Sam sighed in relief even though panic and anxiety still clung to him. "I need your help finding Dean. He's been gone for over a week and he isn't answering up my calls."

Crap. The angel thought to himself before he put Sam at ease. "I'm sorry for not telling you earlier, but Dean is helping me with something."

Pausing in his panicked pacing, Sam looked at him confused. "He's helping you with something?" His words were slow as if he was still processing that Castile had said. "Why didn't he leave a note or call me?"

"He didn't have time to leave a note and I believe he does not have any cellphone reception in Heaven."

"Why is he in Heaven!?" Had Cas killed him?

"Rude, I did not harm Dean." The Seraph frowned. "The Garden of Eden was dying and I required Dean's help in protecting it."

Settling down, Sam nodded before frowning. "Eden is dying? How is that possible?"

"Heaven has been in Chaos since the Apocalypse, no since God left. Joshua has disappeared and the Cherubim are no longer protecting the borders of the Garden. While I search for God, Dean is making sure no one enters to further harm it."

"Cas... you've-"

"I am aware." He was suddenly feeling quite annoyed with the younger Winchester. Not only had he already had this discussion with Dean, but he wanted to continue his search. "However, I believe God has come out of hiding." He produced the amulet that was glowing a little stronger than before.

"Holy shit." Sam's eyes widened. "How much longer do you think it'll take?"

Cas deflated a little. "I don't know. Hopefully not long."

With a nod, Sam offered, "I'll do research on any supernatural occurrences that might point you in the right direction. You still have your cellphone?" Cas nodded. "Good... Dean's okay right? I mean he does have the Mark of Cain. Cain's parents were thrown out of the Garden and he did commit the first murder."

"Yes, Dean is fine. I would know if something happened to him."

Of course you would."Alright. Go find God and I'll keep-" Sam sighed. He didn't even finish his sentence and the angel was gone. He shouldn't have been surprised, Cas and every other angel had a habit of disappearing whenever they wanted.

Six months later Castiel found himself back at the Garden with God. He didn't know what to expect when he returned but it definitely wasn't this. Last time he had been here it had been depressing, it almost physically hurt him to look at the once glorious Garden. Now, now Castiel felt his Grace hum with aw.

Castiel was brought out of his surprise by God looking at him and saying, "Castiel, I thought you said Eden was dying?"

"It was."

"Apparently not anymore." God hummed. "Although, this isn't the Garden I left to Joshua." Castiel had to agree. It didn't shift to the witnesses fond experience and the life within was unique. There were plants inside that Castiel had never seen before.

"I don't understand." He commented as the pair started to walk deeper in.

God touched the different life forms as they walked passed them. "You said you put Dean in charge of Eden while you searched for me?" The angel nodded. "This is his will, not mine. Some of these plants are my originals but many are created from him. This is, to some degree, what his soul looks like." A smile spread across his lips. "I forgot how beautiful Humans are, how much potential they have."

Castiel looked around again, seeing and feeling the Garden with more scrutiny. He missed it before, but actually paying attention he could feel how Dean this place was. The feeling was quite similar to seeing the man's soul; it was strong and beautiful. He only paused when he saw a small section that looked not quite right. The life here reminded him of what the Garden looked like previously, but at the same time different. The life here was cruelly beautiful. It drew you in, but you knew that it would lead to pain and possibly death. These plants and creatures did not belong in Eden.

Turning to see what had caused Castiel to pause, God gave a sad smile. They reminded him of his sister. "Another part of his soul. You must have noticed that there is darkness within him." As much as he wanted to deny it, Castiel knew that although Dean was the Righteous Man he also had tortured souls and killed in cold blood. "Dean has been here many years Heaven time and has had time to confront some of his demons. The Garden has reacted and grown as a result."

Without thinking Castiel commented, "Many will see it as a blemish, an imperfection. Something that doesn't belong in Eden."

"What do you think?"

A bit surprised, Castiel looked at God for a moment before looking back at the plants that were beautiful as much as they were cruel. "I think they should stay. Heaven isn't as perfect as we like to think it is." God placed a hand on his son's shoulder for a moment before turning and walking deeper to where Dean was. The pair remained silent for the rest of the walk only stopping when they saw the caretaker of the Garden.

Unbeknownst to him, Dean was being watched. At the moment his attention was on the giant tree in the middle of the Garden which had finally bloomed. After God knows how long, the tree was finally filled with little pink and white flowers with tiny apples growing on it. A few times he doubted this day would ever come especially after a particularly bad storm his temper had apparently summoned. He grinned up at the tree proud that it had weathered almost death, storms, and Dean being a shit garden caretaker.

God and Castiel held their breath as Dean reached towards an apple from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. They both knew what happened the last time a human did such an act. The pair sighed in relief when the man merely pulled a branch down a little to look at the blossoms and growing fruit. He nodded his approval before letting the branch go and turning to leave. While whistling a random tune, he continued his patrol.

"Hello Dean." Caused Dean to jump in alarm.

"Jesus Christ Cas! God you need a freaking bell or something." He bent forward trying to calm himself and then froze when he realized there was someone with the angel. He looked up confused. "Hey Chuck?" His eyes went from the prophet to his angel. "I thought you were looking for God? Does Chuck know where he is?"

"Actually, Chuck is God." Cas replied.

Dean narrowed his eyes. "Are you fucking with me?"

"No, I am not 'fucking' with you. I would not joke about something this serious."

"You're God?" Dean's green eyes slid over to the shorter bearded man.

"Guilty." Chuck shrugged with a smile. The smile was replaced with a frown as a fist connected with his chin.

"That wasn't smart, Dean." Cas commented as he walked over to the hunter who cradled his broken hand trying not to whimper.

"Shut up." He gritted out as pain coursed through his body. Cas shook his head as he gently touched and knitted the bones together. Once his hand was no longer broken, Dean turned on his heels to glare at the not prophet. "You're God?" Chuck nodded. "Now I know why all your angels are dicks."

"Dean-"

"No! He fucking abandoned Heaven and watched all the shit that earth went through. Then the Apocalypse starts and we actually meet him, doesn't say anything even after knowing everything Sammy and I have been through, stands on the side lines as Heaven goes into chaos and civil war, doesn't help as Lucifer is released, doesn't give a shit that you released the Leviathan which he specifically put in their own dimension, let us wander Purgatory forever, let Sammy walk around without a soul while Lucifer and Micheal decide to fucking torture his soul, doesn't care that souls are being used/stolen instead placed in their rightful spots, let's Sammy and then you go mental, ditches his job as prophet and then lets Kevin-" He cuts himself off unable to talk about it. "You know what, fuck you." He storms off into the rain that had started near the beginning of his rant.

"Dean!" Cas calls but the hunter doesn't turn around instead continues on his route.

"He's not wrong." Chuck breaks the silence that had fallen over them. "I stood by and did nothing. I knew who I was not long after Dean and Sam found me the first time." Cas looked at him in disappointment. The angel never knew he could feel that way towards his father, but after everything that had happened he realized that God had let him down. He really had abandoned them.

"I'm proud of you, Castiel. You loved humanity more than me." When the Seraph went to protest, Chuck held up his hand. "I told you to and you did. You fought hard, you went against what was written to protect them. To protect Dean." Cas looked away. "The first creature he instinctively brought back were bees." Chuck let out a quiet chuckle as he watched Cas freeze. "Go to him. He's released of his duty as protector of the Garden. The Cherubim are back and I don't plan of going anywhere. Take him home, he deserves to be with his family." With suspicion in his eyes, Castiel stared at God before nodding. As he walked away Chuck yelled, "Thank him for me!"

Cas didn't have to walk far before he found Dean with his hands shoved in his pockets. Before he could say anything, Dean snapped, "Have you come to yell at me?"

"Why would I do that?" Cas frowned.

"I punched and yelled at God. Pretty sure that's at the top of everyone's Should Not Do list."

"He deserved it."

"Huh?" Dean was thrown by Cas's agreement. He was a celestial being, wasn't he supposed to think God was infallible and shit rainbows or something?

"What he did was inexcusable. After everything we, especially you, have been through trying to clean up his mess I think he deserved being yelled at. I don't agree with you punching him though. If you break a bone punching an angel in the face, you definitely would break your hand punching God. I'm surprised that's all that you broke."

Dean couldn't help but let out a laugh. All the stress and anger he had been holding onto melted away with each chuckle. "You're something Cas."

"I am an Angel of the Lord. You know this Dean."

At Cas's confused face, Dean laughed more. "I know, Cas. Never mind." After his laughter died down he rubbed the back of his head. "I guess I should go back and apologize shouldn't I?"

"That is not necessary. God has relieved you of your duty and wants me to take you home. I know Sam misses you."

"Shit how long have I been gone?" He hadn't really thought of it. He knows it's been a while. He's shaved quite a bit, but he'd never really paid attention not like he had in Hell.

"Ah, about that." Dean's eyes widened as Cas pulled his fingers through his hair in embarrassment. "God was harder to find than I anticipated. Six months on earth have passed since you came here."

"Six months!?"

Cas watched as Dean's soul flashed in panic. "Everything is fine Dean. Sam is alright and nothing catastrophic has happened."

"Oh, good. That's good. Let's go home, Cas. I'm ready to leave." With a nod, Cas placed his hand on Dean's left shoulder and within less than a second the two were back in the bunker.

Dean turned when he heard "Dean!" being shouted. He was quickly enveloped in a hug.

"Hey Sammy." The eldest brother grinned not caring at the moment that he was being hugged. They stayed like that for a moment. Six months was too long without seeing his brother. They'd been separated longer, but that didn't mean they liked it.

"Thanks for getting him back safe, Cas." Sam patted the angel on the shoulder. "I guess you found God then?"

"Yes. He is back in Heaven trying to reestablish order." Dean let out a snort causing Sam to raise an eyebrow.

"You'll never believe who God is." Dean smirked with a hint of bitterness.

"Who?" Sam was eager to find out but at the same time Dean's posture told him he wouldn't be happy.

"Our good buddy Chuck. The little prick."

"You're kidding." Dean shook his head supported by Cas also shaking his. "Shit, I totally threatened him." Sam paled a little at the memory."

"When did you threaten, God?" Cas squinted. He felt he should have known this.

"A while back Dean and I ended up at a con for his book series." Dean shuttered at the memory. Fucking Becky. "Before we left I kind of told him if he continued writing the books we would kill him."

Cas scrubbed his hand over his face. "Sam." The name was drawn out showing how done with them Cas was feeling.

"I didn't know he was God!" Sam tried to defend.

"He was still a prophet!"

Getting tired of the bickering, Dean stepped between the two. "Alright enough. I'm finally back on earth and I'm hungry." He turned to point at Sam. "We better have food other than rabbit food." Then he walked into the kitchen.

After making and eating burgers, the trio wandered over to the TV. Sam took the armchair so he could watch whatever Dean put on and read, while Dean collapsed on the couch exhausted. He flipped through the channels until he found one showing Star Wars. He shimmied down lower than usual getting comfortable as tiredness slowly consumed him.

Cas wasn't far behind and took a seat next to Dean, closer than usual. His knee to his hip was pressed against Dean's, the latter too tired to say anything. The three were silent for about twenty minutes, until Cas asked, "Dean, were bees really the first creatures to return to the Garden?"

Dean's head turned sharply to look at his angel, his cheeks and neck slowly turning red. Sam let out a laugh as Dean answered, "Yes, I think so." With a smile, Cas turned his head back to the movie and pressed a little harder into his hunter. With an embarrassed scowl, Dean pressed back and watched as much as he could before sleep overtook him.

For now they were safe. Eden was no longer dying, Heaven was getting back in order, and most importantly Team Free Will was back together. Everything was good.
♠ ♠ ♠
I may or may not add another chapter. We shall see. Cheers