Cry, Baby

two of two

A slight breeze gently lifted strands of Lillian’s brown hair from her head. She had taken the short walk down to the small local market near the farm to purchase a few fresh vegetables and a jar of lard.

Against her husband’s better judgement and although they couldn’t really afford it, she got a sweet for each of her five children. Her heart skipped a beat. Four children, she corrected herself in her head. Heaviness washed over here as she took a few more steps on the dirt path. Lillian took a deep breath in attempt to clear her head of dark thoughts.

Her attitude brightened when she approached the old bridge she would have to cross at the top of the hill. The weathered bridge and rusted nails formed into a platform traveling over the fast moving river underneath her, that was named . The water cascaded down rocks and plants and flowed right down the side of the hill. She always enjoyed the sound of the rushing water. In a way, it calmed her. She used to stand on this bridge for minutes at a time enjoying the sound of nature.

Eyes closed, she turned her face up, relinquishing her skin to the feel of the breeze and the warmth of the sun. A light smile played across her lips. She hadn’t felt this pleasant in a long time.

Her peace was ripped from her when she heard what she thought was a baby’s cry. Her eyes snapped open and she listened intently over the roar of the water. When the cry came again she simultaneously gasped and hurried to the other side of the bridge. Without thinking about her actions she hurried down the steep embankment. Her brown wicker basket carrying her goods swung on her arm and her worn out shoes slipped in the mud on her way down.

She finally made it to the bottom. The river spit up droplets of water at her, initiating small sensations on the skin of her arms and legs that were not covered by her quarter sleeved dress. She stood by the river and waited for the sound to come again. Her rushed breath caught in her throat when she heard the cry again but further down the embankment. She started to chase the cry. This time it was incessant and Lilian continued to run towards it taking no mind of the slippery mud that could cause her to fall in. The river that was once peaceful to her now seemed angry and menacing.

The land under her feet came to a steep decline and suddenly the crying stopped. Although it was dangerous, it also gave her an advantage. She was able to see all the way down to the end of the river where the water settled and came to a very small pool. The pool was shrouded in trees, casting a slight shadow but it was still visible. She silently prided herself in her good eye site. Her pride disappeared and her heart throbbed at what she saw. A small body, the lifeless body of a baby, floated in the pool. It was bobbing up and down with the slight movement of the water. Pale and blue, fat, and full of water. Her heart told her what she didn’t wish to know. It was her little Thomas. Her baby Thomas that was pronounced dead at birth by her husband. She knew he hadn’t wanted another child but inevitably she became pregnant. She didn’t know her husband was capable of such cruelty. An agonizing cry escaped Lillian’s lips and she took a step down the embankment to reach her deceased child.

Before she could catch her balance she fell into the cold waters and the river swallowed her. She was immediately forced to the river floor. Water filled her lungs and she fought to the surface. She flailed her arms frantically as she choked. She couldn’t tell what direction she was forcing her body in due to the murky water encompassing her. Her throat, chest, and lungs burned. She had to reach her baby, she thought, as she tried again to break the surface. All the pain she had been feeling would finally be relieved as long as she could hold her baby. The rushing water dragged her down again and her head struck a rock jutting from the side of the embankment. Lillian succumbed to the painless darkness with her son’s name in her mind. Thomas.

***


A few hours after the river had claimed its second victim, both baby Thomas and his mother Lillian’s lifeless bodies were found bobbing in the small pool that ended the river. As the years passed and the city of Columbus became more populated, the river continued to claim the lives of individuals who heard baby Thomas’ cry and intended to rescue the crying child. Water logged bodies were found at the end of the river with no explanation. After some time, the bridge and river earned its name of Crybaby Ghost Bridge.
♠ ♠ ♠
fin.