Status: Thanks so much for reading!!

Mistake

Tell Me 'Bout It

Amai and I had finished our bath together - which was a strange experience for me, as I had never had a bath with someone else in the room who wasn't there to help me wash myself - and we scurried to her bedroom.

I stood at the side of her rather-small bed and waited for her to invite me in.

I was never sure if anything I was doing was right when it came to social cues. She patted the comforter and I slipped under the covers.

I had never slept with someone else before. Never felt the comforting heat of someone else's back pressing against my own. Not until that first night at the Akiyama's.

~

It was around 11 when Amai was tapping my back with her finger.

I panicked for a moment before realizing where I was.

"What is it, Amai?" My words sounded sleepy to my own ears.

"Chika, where're you from?" The panic I had only just banished crept back into me.

"I already told you, I'm from here." I heard the lie and so did she.

"D'ya even know where here is, Chika?"

"Well, I don't know the right answer either, so I can't answer the question!" I was a step away from yelling. Amai grew quiet, a shock.

"Where'd you come from?" Her hand came up from wherever it was underneath the sheets and gently laid her fingers on my birthmark. "Tell me 'bout it." None of her words sounded accusatory, she just wanted to know more about me, I could tell. I could've cried.

And so I told her, and she didn't look at me differently than when she woke me up on the pier.
♠ ♠ ♠
"The Akiyama's had simply accepted me as one of their own, which was what I had wanted all along."

I'm thinkin bout using that as my last line for this story. I'm not there yet obviously, but I think this is fitting.

U GUYS BOUTTA GET TIME-SKIPPPPED BY SEVEN YEARS