‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

Final Goodbyes

Putting another murderer behind barrs both made my leaving the team harder and giving myself a sense of personal fulfillment. I've had some good years here but my good years stopped 5 months ago with Jayla's disappearance. I just haven't been right about the whole thing. The FBI completely gave up on her and I feel as if I'm failing as both a mother and an investigator but I don't give up very easily. A few days ago, I was able to make a copy of the FBI's case file on Jayla's disappearance. I couldn't take the original FBI file just in case there was something to reopen their investigation. Now when I leave I'll have everything I knew they were holding back from me. Half of it I couldn't even believe. The FBI had wrote down that Jayla was possibly in a secret relationship and tried to leave but was made to disappear. That's bullshit. Jayla and I have no secrets. I sighed as I picked up the frame photo on my desk of Jayla and I with Tsunami and Jethro. I need to find her. I placed the photo into the box with my other stuff and sealed it with clear packing tape.

"Hey Kodiak! You aren't going to leave without saying goodbye are you?"

"I wouldn't dream of it." I said putting on a fake smile as Lee came over and hugged me.

"Don't let the new team push you around."

"That's definitely not gonna happen. You know I can hold my own." I said making her chuckle.

"Please be careful out there and let your new teammates in on Jayla. A few new sets of eyes could help."

"I don't think so. After what those FBI dumbasses did, I ain't about to take that chance." I said shaking my head.

"I understand. Just call me when you get settled and if you locate her." I nodded my head and Lee hugged me one last time.

Tsunami and Jethro rubbed their heads against Lee's legs giving her their own farewell before we headed to the elevator. We got there just as the doors opened and the few people exited. We stepped on and I pushed the button for the ground floor and the doors started to close but stopped when Nikhil put his hand in the door. He cane inside and pushes the door close button.

"Lee told me that you were just getting on the elevator to leave so I figured I would ride down with you."

"To say goodbye?" I asked.

"Well yes actually. Listen I know we didn't get along at times but you will be missed on the team."

"Thanks." I said giving him the cold shoulder.

"I mean that sincerely Blayke."

"I know you do. I'm just preoccupied." I said truthfully. Okay maybe it wasn't the whole truth.

"Thinking about Jayla?"

"I never stopped thinking about her. Unlike a certain few people from the FBI." I stated.

"Agent Fornell was just doing his job. I know it was shitty of him and his Director to just give up after a 5 month search but have you ever looked at it from their perspective?"

"Yes I have Nik and they're wrong. They need to keep looking. Of I were the one missing, they wouldn't have been so quick to give up." I said as the elevator stopped on the ground floor and the doors opened up.

"I know. Have a good life in Washington." I stepped off the elevator with Tsunami and Jethro right behind me. We left the building and went straight to my car where I put the box with my personal belongings into the trunk. Tsunami and Jethro got into the backseat and laid down as I cranked up the engine and sped away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


As soon as we arrived home, I gave Tsunami and Jethro some food and water before heading down to my basement to work on my ongoing case. I spread out each documens onto the table and studied everything all over again hoping to find something I missed. I know I need a fresh pair of eyes but I don't want people to see how obsessed I am about finding my daughter. Most people would understand a worried mother obsessing about her missing child but others would think of it as being too involved. I think a mother or a father that isn't involved in a search or checking up on any person investigating just doesn't care. Of course many people would disagree with me but I'm not giving up on her. I will find Jayla and bring her back home. I looked over at my phone as IG rang to see Lee calling me.

"Hello?"

Hey Kodiak. What are you doing right now?

"I'm in my basement working on a few things."

You think you could pull yourself away from whatever you're doing for a goodbye dinner?

"I guess I could." I said which made her chuckle.

Good. Meet us at the steakhouse in an hour?

"Better make that an hour and 30 but I'll be there." I said smiling even though she couldn't see.

Alright. See you then. A click on the other end ended our conversation. I put away my papers on Jayla and headed upstairs for a shower. After the warm water washed away the all the tension in my muscles, I dressed in something casual before leaving Tsunami and Jethro to keep guard on the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"And the he went down." Lee said laughing as she told a story we've all heard a thousand times before but somehow they still seem proud or maybe it was just funny.

"Yeah thanks to Blayke. We caught one of the most wanted men in the US."

"Tsunami and Jethro helped too but I was just doing my job." I said modestly.

"Speaking of job, I'd like to propose a toast." Nikhil stood up with his beer in his hand, "Here's to Blayke Carrington, Tsunami, and Jethro. Without them we wouldn't have been able to catch the bad guys. I wish the 3 of you good luck and happiness at your next destination." We clanked our bottles together and the night continued on. I couldn't help, when we were leaving the steakhouse, but wish that Jayla was here to spend this special night with me and my friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I hope you like this first chapter. Second one to follow then I'd love to hear from you readers!

Oh also when you see the italicized part it means phone conversations (also the lack of quotation marks).

Let me know what you think and a little friendly reminder. The more comments I get the fast updates will be posted.