‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

A Missing Piece

I awoke from my sleep just before dawn and went straight to the shower. The warm water reddened the flesh on my back as I stood underneath the stream of water but at least it took away all the grime from yesterday. Today I'm going to take the file I have on Jayla to Gibbs and the team even though there's a part of me that wants to keep it all to myself but that's a selfish act. I haven't really been with the team lo g enough to learn much but one thing I have learned is that they don't give up. Gibbs is pretty persistent when it comes to investigating crimes so I know he won't let anyone give up. After my shower, I got dressed and went to the kitchen to start a pot of coffee. To my surprise mom was already up and getting ready to prepare breakfast.

"Mom you didn't have to get up early." I said as I poured myself a cup of coffee. Tsunami and Jethro wagged their tails happily at me. Mom must have fed them already as well.

"The beginning of a good day starts with a good breakfast. Besides I'm always up this early at home."

"Yeah I know. What are we having?" I asked sipping her strong brew.

"Eggs, sausage, and my homemade biscuits with sausage gravy."

"My mouth is already watering. I'm gonna take Tsunami and Jethro out." I said and at the very mention of going outside, they began jumping around like they were puppies again.

"Breakfast will be ready in a few minutes." I nodded and I opened the back door. Tsunami and Jethro ran out into the fenced in back yard playing and occasionally marking places along the fence.

I got into my pocket and took out my cigarettes and my Zippo lighter. I fired up the smoke and inhaled the calming nicotine. The smoke seeped out of my parted lips as I watched my boys play tug of war with a stick. The way they played brought me back to the days of my service when Tsunami and Jethro would play with the Iraqi and Afghani children. The smiles that those 2 gave the children sent a smile to my face. It was nice to see them smile amidst the chaos that could ensue at any given time. I flicked the cigarette into the grass and called Tsunami and Jethro back into the house.

The aroma of my mother's cooking hit me as soon as I walked through the door making my stomach growl fiercely. I helped mom get the table set and sat down with her. I let mom fill her plate first before I piked the food onto mine. The first bite sent a tingling sensation through my jaw and the taste was so delicious. With one plate down, I filled it up again. I looked at the food as I ate and Jayla came into my mind. She wouldn't be able to resist eating several plates of her grandma's cooking. She would most likely eat herself into a sickness. I finished mg second helping and stood up from the table as mom finished. Again I tried to help her clean up but she wasn't having any of it.

"You have important work to do honey. Jayla needs you to catch the person who killed her."

"I know mom. I love you." I said hugging her tightly. I kissed her cheek sweetly before grabbing my gun, badge, and car keys. The boys followed me out of the house and jumped into the backseat once I got the door opened.

"Well boys, let's get to the port."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I got to the port just as the Sailors were emerging from the ship. It didn't take long for me to spot Anita and Blair amongst the crowd of uniformed men and women. As I approached a smile lit up on their faces.

"Blayke! It's so good to see you." Anita said hugging me.

"How have you been?"

"I've been alright considering the circumstances." I said and they both looked at me with confusion as my facial expression changed.

"What's going on? Did you find Jayla?"

"Jayla's body was found in Anacostia Park yesterday morning." I said keeping my composure.

"Oh my God. What happened to her?"

"She was beaten to death. I know I asked you girls a long time ago of she was seeing anyone but I have to ask again. Think carefully. Was there anything strange going on with her?" I inquired.

"No. She was just like she always was. Always happy to get off of the ship and go see you."

"Could one of you take me to your CO? I'd like to have a word with him." I asked and Anita was the first to nod her head.

"I'll take you."

"Thanks. Blair, here's my number. If you remember anything even if it's the slightest detail. Please call me." I said handing her one of my new NCIS cards.

"Don't worry I will." Anita and I walked away from Blair and on to the USS Nimitz. She led me through the ship's winding corridors to the Commander's cabin. Anita knocked and waited patiently for her commander to give her permission to enter.

"Commander Harris, this is Special Agent Blayke Carrington from NCIS. She would like to speak with you."

"Thank you Petty Officer Ryans. You're dismissed." Anita saluted her superior officer before leaving his cabin.

"What can I assist NCIS with today?"

"I'd like to as you a few questions about Petty Officer Jayla Carrington." I said pulling a small notepad from my pocket.

"You must be the Captain I've heard so much about. It's a pleasure to meet you. So have you found my missing Petty Officer?"

"I'm afraid her body was found in Anacostia Park yesterday morning." I informed him.

"I'm very sorry for your loss ma'am. I'll cooperate in any way I can."

"Thank you sir. I was just wondering how well you knew Petty Officer Carrington? Do you know if she had any enemies on or off ship?" I asked.

"Not that I'm aware of ma'am. She was well liked by everyone. She mostly stuck close with Petty Officers Ryans and Creedy. If Petty Officer Carrington had any problems with someone on PR off this ship I would know about it."

"Would it be possible to take a look at her bunk? Maybe even Falk to the people she worked so very close to?" I asked as I wrote down notes.

"Of course. I hadn't filled that area yet so everything is still the same."

"Thank you sir." Commander Harris pushed a button on his intercom system and ordered another Sailor onto his office.

"Seaman Gosla will escort you anywhere you want to go on the ship."

"Thank you Commander." I said and Gosla politely opened the door andet me exit first. As we walked through the ship, I talked to him and took down notes on what he had to say.

So far the Commander's words are true about Jayla not having any issues on board. We got to an open door and he announces himself to the people inside before stepping inside.

"Agent Carrington, these are Jayla's bunkmates; Petty Officers Jordan, Ramone, and Koch."

"Can we help you ma'am?" Jordan asked in a respectful tone. She was a very petite blonde haired girl with blue eyes. Kind of had me wondering why she was so interested in being in the Navy. She certainly doesn't loom the type.

"I'm with NCIS. We are investigating the murder of Petty Officer Jayla Carrington." I flashed my badge at the women as I spoke.

"She's been murdered?" Koch questioned with shock riddled on her face. Koch stood to be about 5'6 with brown eyes and hair but not as slinky looking as Jordan.

"I'm sad to say that she was. Her body was found early yesterday morning in Anacostia Park."

"Oh God. What happened to her?" Ramone spoke in a thick southern accent. Ramone sported the greenest eyes I've ever seen with shoulder length black hair and was in good physical shape. Her accent and the decode around her bunk told me that she was from Alabama.

"I haven't received the official autopsy report but it looks like she was beaten to death."

"What would you like to know ma'am?" Ramone asked as she sat down kn her bunk.

"Did Jayla have any problems with anyone on or off the ship before she disappeared?"

"Not that we saw. She treated everyone equally. Always very respectful. She got along with everyone including the higher ranking officers." Koch answered.

"She's right. If there had been anything going on with her we would know about it and so would Commander Harris."

"Did she talk about her personal life?" I questioned.

"All she ever talked about was you. She couldn't wait to get home."

"So no troubles that you can think of?" I inquired.

"No ma'am."

"If any of you remember anything at all please get in contact with me day or night." I said giving each of the girls a card with my name and number.

Seaman Gosla then escorted me to the Logistics section of the ship where Jayla worked. I questioned each person individually and I got the same story. How could someone so well liked on the ship disappear and then be murdered several months later? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Seaman Gosla escorted me from the ship and I thanked him for showing me around.

"Agent Carrington, please find out who killed Jayla. All of us want to see the bastard put behind bars."

"I plan on it." I said nodding and I patted his shoulder. I walked back to my car and got into the driver's seat. A smile came onto my face after hearing what kind of impression Jayla had made with the crew members. I need to check in with Ducky.

Miss Carrington, I was just about to call you.

"What did you find doctor?"

I think we should discuss this in person.

"I'll be there in 20." I said ending the call. Maybe Ducky has found that missing piece of the puzzle that I've been looking for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Once I got to the Navy Yard, I parked my car and went straight to the morgue with Tsunami and Jethro to find put what Ducky had for me. I walked through the automatic doors where Ducky and Jimmy had already sewn up Jayla.

"You wanted to talk with me Ducky?"

"Yes. I finished your daughter's autopsy a few minutes ago. I have to warn you my dear that some of my findings are terribly disturbing." Ducky said and I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Just tell me."

"Upon first glance you can see that she's covered contusions. Some of them are new and some are old. The ligature marks I discovered on her wrists and ankles indicate that she had been restrained." He explained with sympathy echoing through his voice. I fought against the anger that threatened to escape.

"Do you know what causes them?"

"I pulled some fibers from the wounds and sent them up to Abby for testing. Blayke, are you sire you want to hear the rest?" He questioned and I nodded.

"I deserve to know."

"Jayla's blood work came back a few minutes before you called. It showed high traces of Rohypnol in her system. Most likely to keep her under control while....while she was raped repeatedly. I found evidence that she had been raped by 3 individuals that occurred over a period of 8 months. He explained uneasily. More anger and hatred for the bastards who did this to my baby girl boiled inside my veins.

"Was there any DNA?" I said composing myself.

"Sadly no. Her body was extensively cleaned after she was killed. In hoping Abby can find traces of DNA on the fibers I pulled from her."

"What is the official cause of death?" I asked.

"Blunt force trauma to the head. I found something that looked like metal shavings in her head wound and gave them to Abby for analysis as well." I sighed heavily as my phone began to ring.

"Yeah Abbs?"

Can you come to the lab?

"On my way." I hung up the phone and slipped it back into my pocket. Tsunami and Jethro followed me out of the morgue without another word. We took the elevator up to Abby's lab.

"Abby!" I yelled once we got off the elevator and went into the lab. She came from the back turning down her music before throwing her arms around me.

"Thanks Abbs. Have you found anything?"

"I got DNA." She said smiling.

"Great! Who does it belong to?"

"Major Mass Spec is working on that as we speak. I did find something about the material that binded her hands and feet." She said as she typed on her keyboard.

"Which was?"

"It's a very old synthetic material. Some kind of very tough rope. It's not even made anymore but it can be found in only certain stores." She informed me.

"What kind of stores?"

"Military Surplus stores. I took the liberty on compiling a list of places on this area." Abby said before handing me the printed out paper.

"Thanks so much Abby. If you find anything else call me. I'm gonna check these places out. Keep an eye on these 2 for me please."

"Of course! Be careful!" I nodded as I left the lab and got on the elevator. Maybe this will lead me to finding the men who took my daughter's life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~Gibbs POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


With a good strong cup of coffee in hand, I got off of the elevator to begin the joint investigation with the FBI. Last night I read over the FBI's file on Petty Officer Carrington's disappearance. It strikes me as odd on how a girl that was very respected and well liked in the Navy could just disappear without a single trace. There's got to be more to this.

"What do we know about Petty Officer Jayla Carrington?" I asked before sipping on the hot beverage.

"Petty Officer Jayla Carrington: age 22. Enlisted I to the United States Navy when she was 18. Stationed aboard the USS Nimitz. Worked with Logistics. There's no criminal record nor a record of reprimands on both her civilian or military service record."

"She had no credit card history and nothing suspicious in her banking records. Her cell phone record shows only a few calls to the same numbers which I verified as being to her mother and grandmother." McGee informed us as he put the information up on the Plasma.

"Witness statements taken by the FBI showed no indication of problems with anyone on board of off the ship. This makes absolutely no sense boss."

"Dig deeper. Check out everything and everyone. Friends, family, fellow shipmates. Hell if she went to a bar, check that out too. I want to know how a Petty Officer disappears without anyone seeing or hearing a damn thing." I ordered and they immediately split the work up among them and got to work. I left the squad room and got on the elevator to see what Ducky had found out in the autopsy.

"Finish the autopsy Duck?"

"Yes. I was just about to call. This poor girl suffered greatly Jethro." He said empathetically.

"What did you find?"

"Like I told Miss Carrington, her daughter was beaten profusely for months. Note the way the newer bruises are more profound than the others." He said pointing them out.

"You already told her?"

"Yes. She deserves to know what I have found." He stated.

"What else did you tell her?"

"I told her that I found evidence that her daughter had been drugged and raped repeatedly over the time she had been missing." He explained and I looked at him as I sighed.

"I'm guessing that you wanted to know first."

"Yeah. Did you get any DNA?" I asked slightly irritated.

"No but I pulled some interesting materials from her scalp and fibers from where she was bound at the hands and feet."

"Official COD?" I inquired.

"Blunt force trauma to the head. The x-rays show a subdural hematoma consistent with the severe skull fracture." Ducky showed me the x-rays and you could clearly see the indention on her skull.

"Thanks Duck." I left the morgue and went one floor up to Abby's lab.

"You find what you were looking for Blayke?"

"What was she looking for Abbs?" I asked and Abby tensed up as I caught her off guard.

"Oh...hello Gibbs. How's it going?"

"Answer the question." I said.

"It's nothing. Nothing at all."

"Agent Carrington came down here didn't she?" I asked as I stared at her. Abby sighed before nodding her head giving in.

"And you showed her the evidence?" I continued.

"Yes but Gibbs you have to understand. Blayke doesn't trust other people with this case. I means she's afraid it'll end up like the FBI's investigation."

"What did you give her?" I asked.

"I told her that Major Mass Speis working on the DNA I found on the rope Ducky pulled out of the wounds and the rope that was used was old and could only be found in certain stores."

"Which are?" I questioned.

"Military Surplus stores. Are you made Gibbs?"

"No. Just don't tell her anything else." I said placing a gentle kiss to the side of her head as she handed over a list. I left her lab and went back up the squad room.

"DiNozzo, you're with me. McGee, keep working on that background and call Petty Officer Carrington's Commander and tell him that we want to search her quarters on base." I ordered as I grabbed my gun and badge from my desk drawer before slipping my coat over my shoulders.

"Where are we going boss?"

"Checking out leads DiNozzo." I said pressing the down button kn the elevator as we stepped on. We got to hurry and meet with Agent Carrington.
♠ ♠ ♠
Love that I'm getting comments!!

You all will find out what she's making down in her basement soon so keep letting me know what you think she's building.