‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

Leave It Alone

When DiNozzo and I arrived back to the NCIS building at the Navy Yard, we went straight to Abby's lab to see if she had found anything else while I was checking out the surplus stores. Of course I wasn't gonna go empty handed so I picked up Abby's favorite caffeinated drink. A CAF-POW. I've tried to drink that stuff once and I don't see how in the hell the girl has the taste for it. The elevator doors opened up outside of her lab and my ears were immediately met with her invigorating music.

"Abby, you got anything?" I asked as she looked up.

"The DNA I got off the fibers that Ducky found in your daughter's wounds, I ran it through AFIS and didn't GEF anything. Then I pit it through a civilian database and got a hit." Abby reached for the drink but I pulled it away.

"Information first and then the CAF-POW." I said keeping the drink out of her reach.

"You're getting to be like Gibbs all the time."

"Trust me we are very different people. So who's DNA is it?" I said.

"The DNA matches to a man named Edward Plano. He's got a long list of criminal charges in his background. Everything from breaking and entering involving a firearm to the rape of a 16 year old girl.

"Thanks Abbs." I said handing over the drink.

"I'm not finished yet. I also analyzed the particles taken from underneath her fingernails. It's got traces of brick dust, mortar, dirt, and gravel."

"Which means she was most likely held in a basement." DiNozzo commented.

"Or a place of construction or where a company would keep its supplies."

"Do you know where?" I questioned.

"Blayke I'm good but I'm not that good. If you could bring back samples then I can compare the 2." Abby set her drink down on the surface of the table before wrapping me in a bone crushing hug. I must look more frustrated than I feel.

"We will get the people responsible. Don't ever doubt that."

"I don't Abby." I said smiling as she let go of me.

"I'll let Gibbs know what you found." I watched DiNozzo leave the lab and I noticed Tsunami and Jethro were no where to be found.

"Where's my boys?"

"Back there waiting on you." I peaked around her workstation and saw them laying on the cold marble floor. They probably didn't hear me come in over the music. I whistled loudly and they came running out of the back. Thank god the automatic doors open quickly. I'd hate to have to replace them.

"Thanks again for watching them."

"It's not a problem. I'm sorry that I had to tell Gibbs where you were." She said.

"I appreciate the concern Abbs. I'll see you later." Abby nodded and we left the lab. The elevator took us back up to the squad room.

The metal doors opened up and I saw Gibbs had returned and were in the middle of discussing what we had gotten so far. When I got closer to the group, Tsunami and Jethro began to growl viciously so I tightened my grip on their leashes.

"What's wrong with you 2?" I questioned to my companions as they almost drug me across the floor. Gibbs, DiNozzo, and McGee turned around to look at us and that's when I discovered the reason for their growls.

"Hello again Agent Carrington."

"Now just when I thought I seen it all. A piece of shit emerges from the depths of hell just to make my boys angry." I spoke angrily at FBI Agent Tobias Fornell.

"I see you still think that I'm responsible for all of this."

"No really Tobias? I wouldn't have ever guessed that." I said sarcastically while calming my boys.

"Both you in the conference room now." Tobias and I stared at each other before Gibbs took us by the arms and lead us to the elevator.

I signaled my boys to stay and they listened obediently. The conference room is just a floor up and I don't see why we couldn't have taken the damn stairs. The doors opened up and we got on. Gibbs made the doors close before flipping the emergency stop switch.

"If you 2 want this case resolved with justice then you better start getting along with each other." Gibbs said in a demanding tone.

"Ill do it if it's an order."

"It wasn't a damn suggestion." He said staring me down with his icey blues.

"Wait a minute. She can't be working this case Gibbs."

"Leon said she can as long as she doesn't go out into the field, interrogate, or interview anyone." Gibbs informed him.

"Which I understand she already did."

"Leave it alone Blayke. I stopped her before she could get any answers. Now are we clear?" Gibbs said looking between us. We both nodded out heads and he flipped the switch again which made the doors open back up.

I went straight to my desk and Gibbs glanced at me as he walked by. I listened to the team as DiNozzo and McGee explained what they had found on Edward Plano. I hate that Tobias is here after what he did with Jayla's disappearance case but I guess I'm just gonna have to live with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"McGee, what do you and Blayke have on the list of customers I gave you?" Gibbs asked and McGee put the first name up on the Flat screen.

"I have a 67 year old man with dementia."

"I think I have something." I said getting up from my desk.

"What is it?"

"This guys. Abby found his DNA on the fibers pulled from Jayla's wounds. His name is Edward Plano. I didn't recognize him until now." I said mentally slapping myself in the back of the head.

"Did you arrest him one time?"

"No. I think he used to work construction with my father." I stated.

"McGee, I want everything on this guy. DiNozzo you're with us." I got up from my seat and sat over with mcgewanting to help all I could since I couldn't go out in the field.

"You know you don't really have to help me."

"I know but I want to." I said.

"Excuse me? I'm looking for Blayke Carrington." I looked up as my name was called and I quickly stood to my feet.

"Colonel Daniels, what are you doing here sir?" I asked shaking his hand.

"I just heard about your daughter and I wanted to offer my condolences."

"Thank you sir. We're still trying to figure out who did this." I said.

"Good. I know you'll find the bastard. I also stopped by to give you this. It came to the base a week ago. I kept it since I was retiring at the end of the week. I thought it would be a good idea to deliver it in person." Colonel Daniels handed me the envelope addressed to me but I didn't recognize the sender's name.

"Thank you Colonel. Is this important?" I asked.

"No. It's probably a letter from one of the soldiers families who you wrote. I better be going. I have a meeting at the Pentagon in an hour. If you ever need anything, I'm a phone call away."

"Hopefully I won't have to take you up on that offer sir. It was good seeing you again." I said shaking his hand. He nodded his head and returned to the elevator as I looked down at the address again. I slipped the envelope into my pocket to read later.

"Don't you want to see who that's from?"

"I will later. This is more important." I said sitting back down at my desk. I gave Tsunami and Jethro a quick pet to the head before getting back to Edward Plano's background.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any idea's as to what the letter says or who it's from?