‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

The Meeting

Just like every morning, I arose from my sleep before the sun even came up. Since I live in Fairfax, Virginia the drive to Washington DC wasn't going to be long but I have to factor in the traffic. When the sun finally showed its face, I finished getting ready in my Dress Blues with all my medals pinned to me. I led Tsunami and Jethro out to the car and we headed into Washington. Just as I expected the traffic was already getting bad but I have plenty of time before I have to report to Director Vance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Finally we got through all the traffic with 15 minutes to spare. I found the NCIS building with no trouble and parked my car after getting passed the guard gate at the main entrance. Tsunami and Jethro jumped out of the backseat and I attached leashes to their collars. We went into the building where we again had to go through security. Thankfully it didn't take very long and we stepped onto the elevator and I pushed the numbered floor. The door opened up on a few floors before getting to mine. I must have gotten this wrong. I looked around the squad room and spotted a nicely dressed man sitting behind a desk. Maybe he can help me correct my error.

"Excuse me?" I asked once I approached the man's desk. He looked up at me smiling.

"Can I help you with something Captain?"

"I was wondering if you could tell me where I can find Director Vance's office?" I said.

"Why don't I take you?"

"Thank you Agent?" I said probing for his name. He got up from behind his desk and stood in front of me.

"Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo." I smirked slightly at his cocky and confident demeanor.

"I'm Blayke Carrington." I said introducing myself as I shook his hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. Why don't I take you to see the Director now." I nodded and Agent DiNozzo led us over to a set of stairs. I watched his as he eyeballed my 2 German Shepherds. He must not be too familiar with dogs or even being around them. We continued our trek through a hallway before coming to a door.

"Here we are."

"Thank you for the escort." I said before going through the door. A woman dressed appropriately for a secretarial duties sat at a desk as I went inside.

"Can I help you ma'am?"

"I'm Blayke Carrington here to see Director Vance." I explained.

"He's in a meeting at the moment but please have a seat. The meeting will be over in just a few minutes."

"Thank you." I said before taking a seat on the long plush bench that sat against the wall. Tsunami and Jethro laid down on the carpeted flooring in front of my feet. It was long after I had sat down, that the door to the Director's office opened and a few people left. I glances over at the secretary as she put the phone back on the receiver.

"Director Vance will see you now Captain Carrington." I nodded and went into the office with Tsunami and Jethro.

"Captain, it's nice to finally meet you."

"Same here sir." I said shaking his hand. He offered me a seat in front of his desk and I gladly sat.

"I've heard some really great things about you from Director Alexander."

"Just doing my job sir." I said slightly shrugging my shoulders.

"I see here you were in the Marines for a good number of years with Tsunami and Jethro. Earned several medals and accommodations even the highest achievement. The Medal of Honor. Your arrest record for both the Bethel, North Carolina Police Department and our sister agency on Quantico is quite impressive."

"Like I said sir. I was just doing my job." I stated.

"Director Alexander informed me about your daughter."

"I'd very much appreciate it sir if no one knew about Jayla's disappearance." I said.

"Is the case still active?"

"No sir. I'd just like to tell the team I'm assigned to myself." I said shaking my head.

"I admire that but since it's closed I hope it doesn't impact by work."

"I can assure you that it won't Director." I said honestly.

"Good. Now I know Tsunami and Jethro have impressive records as well but I would like to see them in action for myself. I've scheduled an exercise today in a few minutes. So if you'll please follow me, I'll escort you down to the yard." I nodded and stood with the Director. Director Vance let me leave his office first and then held the door open for me. We took the same route Agent DiNozzo had led me to the Director's office.

As we went to the elevator, I glanced over at Agent DiNozzo and 2 other men that had joined him before getting on the elevator. Damn I hope the Director will be impressed with Tsunami and Jethro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Director Vance, Tsunami, Jethro, and I made it to the training yard on a matter of minutes. Along the way, Director Vance explained to me what each building was used for. A few things were different from the NCIS compound in Quantico but other things were the exact same. This really doesn't seem like a new venue to me. We stopped outside a small building with 2 doors about 3 feet apart.

"Behind each door is a maze of items which you will encounter while working here. It's Tsunami and Jethro's mission to find these items hidden in different places. Both rooms were set up by 2 different people and I'll be watching from the observation glass on both sides of this course. Are you ready to begin?"

"Yes sir." I said nodding my head. I took Tsunami in first while a man dressed in Marine Corp BDUs held Jethro's leash for me.

"Okay Tsunami. Achtung!" I told him and he stood at the ready as I turned the doorknob.

"Suchen Tsunami. Suchen!" I commanded and sniffed out everything that was hidden. We went through another door that said a bomb was inside. It didn't take Tsunami long to find it and alert me to the danger. The last door we went through said a dangerous person was hiding in it. I kicked the door open and a person wearing a thick heavy suit pointed a fake weapon at me.

"Angreifen!" I commanded. He ran right at the man and jumped up. The man's arm was now in the relentless jaws of Tsunami. The man went down on one knee and I called him off. Director Vance walked around the glass with a smirk.

"Very good. Now for Jethro." I led Tsunami around the small building and switched leashes with the Marine. Jethro and I stepped the door and I took him through the maze a the way to the end. He did everything Tsunami had done a d followed all of my commands.

"Impressive. You've impressed me with your ability to handle 2 dogs but impression g your new team leader will be the real challenge. In his eyes, you'll be a probationary agent until he accepts you."

"Well thank you sir. Who will I be joining?" I asked curiously.

"That will be revealed tomorrow morning at 0700. I look forward to you working here with us. Tsunami and Jethro will be a great asset to this agency and the team.

"As do I Director." I said shaking his hand. I bid the Director a farewell before taking Tsunami and Jethro back to my car and driving home. I think we deserve a little treat for our hard work today but I still have my reservations about telling them a secret.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all like this 2nd update!

Comments would really help me get that next chapter up and I would love to hear what you think will happen in the next chapter.

So don't be afraid to comment!