‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

The New Team

Yesterday when I returned home from the meeting with Director Vance, I went down to the basement to rebuild a new kitchen table with a set of chairs since I turned the other one into firewood but I guess being angry brings out my appetite for destruction. Plus it helps me concentrate on Jayla and figuring out where she could be. For some reason working with wood clears my mind just enough to focus but tonight it wasn't working. An hour before I hhad to hit the sack, I gave Tsunami and Jethro a bath so they would be fresh and clean for today. I didn'twwant to give my new partners any bad impressions.

I parked my car into a space and brought Tsunami and Jethro out ofthe backseat bbefore attaching their leashes. We got through security fairly easily and I took the elevator back up to the top floor where the Director's officer was located. Tsunami and Jethro were the first to step off of the elevator once the doors opened. The Director's secretary door was opened so I went on in with my companions. The nicely dressed woman let me go right into his office.

"Good morning Miss Carrington."

"Good morning to you as well Director Vance." I said smiling as I shook his hand.

"Before I introduce you to your new team, I have a few things for you." Director Vance picked up a black backpack along with 3 bullet proof vests and placed them on his desk.

"Here's a vest for yo, Tsunami, and Jethro along with badges and ID cards. The bag is equipped with everything you'll need to document crime scenes and lastly your weapon." I took the badge along with the gun and secured them to my belt. I'll put the new vests on Tsunami and Jethro later in the day.

"Sir, can I ask you something?" I said petting Tsunami and Jethro's heads.

"Shoot."

"What is the team like? I mean is there anything I need to know?" I said asking a valid question.

"They're good investigators. Very dedicated and determined."

"We're looking forward to meeting them." I said nodding.

"Let's not waste anymore time then." Director Vance came around his ddak and escorted me from his office. We took the same route down the stairs as yesterday but instead of going to the elevator, we stopped at the first cluster of desks where Agent DiNozzo was sitting a few days ago when I needed to find the Director's office. An older man with silver hair stood amongst the 2 younger agents who stared at us as we approached.

"Agent Gibbs, I'd like you to meet the new member of your team." Director Vance said. The silver haired man sized me up before looking directly at the Director.

"Excuse us a minute Agent Carrington." I nodded once and Director Vance walked over to the window with the man he called Gibbs.

"I'm sure you remember me."

"Agent DiNozzo." I said shaking his hand.

"I'm Special Agent Tim McGee."

"Nice to meet you." I said shaking Tim's cautiously extended hand. I could see the confliction in his facial expression.

"Don't worry Agent McGee. Tsunami and Jethro are very gentle."

"Jethro?" Agent McGee asked.

"Yes." Agent McGee looked at DiNozzo before looking over my shoulderat his boss, "Did i miss something here?"

"Jethro happens to be the boss's name."

"Are you sure they are friendly? We've both had bad experiences with dogs." Agent McGee informed me.

"Yes. Tsunami, Jethro, Freund McGee and DiNozzo." My companions left my side and nudged their hands with their heads to show the men they were friendly. McGee and DiNozzo tensed up at first but soon relaxed when they saw how gentle they are. The 2 men gladly gave them a scratch to the head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~Gibbs's POV~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"I thought we had an understanding here Leon." I said somewhat coldly.

"Agent David has been gone for some time now. I can assure you that Agent Carrington will fit right in with the team but in case you want to argue then I suggest you look over her file before you make any decisions." Leon handed over the file before speaking again.

"I know Agent Carrington will be great asset to the team. I'm not telling you to instantly like them but I want you to read that file and give them a chance."

"IF they don't work out, I won't hesitate to tell her to get out." I said and Leon smirked.

"I wouldn't expect you to do anything less." Director Vance walked away and I rejoined my team and Agent Carrington.

"Hey boss." DiNozzo said as her 2 dogs joined back at her side.

"I'm looking forward to working with you and your team Agent Gibbs." I looked into the eyes of the woman standing in front of me as I shook her hand. Without having to read her file, I knew immediately that she was a Marine.

"Grab your gear. Dead Marine on Stafford." I announced still staring into her cold but also warm eyes.

"You stay here."

"And do what?" She asked as I walked around her. I turned back and stared at her again but unlike the other members of my team she never looked away. I broke contact and got on the elevator with DiNozzo and McGee to get to the crime scene.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~Blayke's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I watched Agent Gibbs walk away and get on the elevator with the members of his team. Well Director Vance did warn me about this happening but the way Gibbs stared at me was familiar. He must have been a Marine at some point in his life. That icey cold glare only comes from one rank. The Gunnery Sergeant. I sat down at my desk unsure of what to do to help on the case. I didn't know the name of the victim so I couldn't do any background checks or put out any BOLOs. I decided to use my time to switch out Tsunami and Jethro's old vests with their new ones. Their tails wagged happily and I scratched them behind the ears.

"Don't worry boys. I'm sure we'll be able to go out into the field soon." I said as I scratched them. To pass the time until they got back, I decided to go out to my car and get my personal effects for my desk. I didn't have much. Just a few office supplies and a framed picture of Tsunami, Jethro, and I in our gear while we were in the Marine Corps. I just hope sitting here at the desk doing nothing won't last very long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I really want to make an impression on this team and the only way I can think of is the one important thing I know Gibbs likes. Coffee. Before Gibbs returned from the crime scene with DiNozzo and McGee, I went down to the break room and got the biggest Styrofoam cup I could find and filled it with coffee that I brought from home. Gibbs looked confused at first but I quickly let him know that I had got it from home and not from the break room. He must of liked it because he downed it before setting his much larger cup on my desk. I gladly refilled it.

Now while DiNozzo and McGee are out talking to the wife of our murder victim Staff Sergeant Michael Woodruff, I'm doing probie work which I don't mind. I could be running errands for the team and that's one thing I do not do. The rest of the day was tense for me. I tried to get out in the field and even leave my desk and get out into the field but Gibbs wasn't having any of it. At the moment I'm heading down to autopsy with Gibbs. Evidently all agents here whether they are new or have been transferred from a sister agency must view an autopsy. I've viewed a lot of them so it doesn't bother me.

"Got anything Duck?" Gibbs asked as we walked into the morgue.

"Not yet Jethro. Who's this?"

"I'm Special Agent Blayke Carrington." I said introducing myself.

"It's a pleasure to meet you my dear. I'm Dr. Donald Mallard but everyone calls me Ducky. It was a bit strange at first to be nicknamed after a water fowl but soon it grew on me."

"You got anything for me yet Duck?" Gibbs asked persistently.

"No. I'll call you when I'm done with my preliminary findings." The automatic doors to the morgue opened as Gibbs left the morgue while Ducky was looking over the body.

"Is he always like that Doctor?" I asked.

"Sometimes. I'm guessing you're here to observe."

"Yes sir." I said nodding. I watched meticulously as Ducky and his assistant, who had come in as Gibbs was leaving, got started on the autopsy. As Ducky searched through the mans body for evidence on how he died, he began telling me facts about random subjects. Interesting but boring. I like straight forward answers not long drawn out ones but I can understand why the good doctor does it. I really just want this day to end so I can hopefully get out into the field tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not really sure about this chapter but I promise you that it gets better.

Please let me know what you readers think!

A special thanks to my first commentor Brokendreamer728! I appreciate your comment!