‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

Researching the Team

Halfway through the autopsy, I slipped out of the morgue undetected by Ducky and Jimmy Palmer. I hated to have to leave bit I couldn't stay one more minute listening to the man ramble on. I wonder if anyone else does the same thing. As I walked into the squad room, DiNozzo was giving McGee a description of the Staff Sergeant's car and a plate for the BOLO.

"Probie, aren't you supposed to be observing Ducky's autopsy?" DiNozzo asked turning his attention to me as I sat down at my desk.

"I snuck away. Don't like rambling."

"Ducky is a creature of habit. You'll get used to it. Anyways look up these people and see what's going on about them." He said putting a file down on my desk.

"Are they the Staff Sergeant's friends?"

"Yes now get to digging Probie." He commanded. I rolled my eyes as I opened the file and took out the list of names. It's only partly through my first day and I'm back to doing Probie work though I don't mind it. Paperwork is one thing I can quickly get done.

"Staff Sergeant Woodruff. Tell me about him." Gibbs said as he came into our cluster of desks and stood in front of the flat screened TV between DiNozzo's and McGee's desks.

"Staff Sergeant Michael Woodruff: 26 years old from Stafford, Virginia. 3 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He's been on leave for a week, received a Purple Heart and Bronze Star; exceptional record. Background shows he had one altercation when he was 16 years old but the case was dismissed. Joined the Corp right after high school. Married to his high school sweetheart and has one child. No hits on the credit cards or the BOLO."

"What did his wife have to say?" Gibbs asked.

"Mrs. Woodruff said that her husband left last night to go celebrate the engagement of one of his friends from his unit at a bar called The Golden Nugget. It's a strip club just like the one from that really great..." Gibbs looked at DiNozzo with annoyance, "In which you don't care."

"DiNozzo you're with me. McGee Abby's lab."

"What do you want me to do?" I asked. Gibbs went over to his desk and grabbed a stack of files and set them down in front of me.

"Put these in the computer and file them. Then get the friends the Staff Sergeant was partying with last night in here. Think you can handle that?"

"Yes sir." I said glaring into his eyes. I really didn't appreciate his tone but I know what he's trying to do and it won't work. I don't intimidate easily.

I opened up the first file and got to work. I've always been a faster types so it didn't take long to finish the stack of files Gibbs had given to me. Once that was done, I put them into the filing cabinet beside DiNozzo's desk. Now I've got to get all the friends in here for questioning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I finished my last call as McGee came back into the squad room.

"You're finished already?"

"Yes. It wasn't too complicated to do. I also called the Staff Sergeant's friends that he was partying with last night and they're on there way. Can I ask you a question McGee?" I said.

"Sure."

"How long did it take Gibbs to accept you and let you go out into the field?" I asked purely out of curiosity.

"Not very long. Gibbs has a hard time trusting. The 2 agents who occupied that desk before you were great agents."

"I could show him show him I'm a good agent if he would give me the chance." I said truthfully.

"I know. It will take some time. He wants everyone to pull their own weight around here."

"So it would be a good idea to anticipate his every move?" I questioned.

"Yeah and remember the rules."

"What rules?" I inquired.

"You'll learn in time."

"Oh I see. Well I think I'll got check with Ducky on that autopsy." I said which made Tim smile. I held my hand up to gesture Tsunami and Jethro to stay before getting on the elevator and going down to the morgue. I pressed the down button and when the doors opened I stepped off to see Ducky and Jimmy talking. I walked through the automatic doors and Jimmy looked up.

"Ah Jethro so nice of you to finally join us. I was just telling Mr. Palmer the fascinating aspects of the human brain."

"I never knew you saw me as a man Ducky. Hell we just met." I said making him turn around on shock.

"I'm terribly sorry Miss Carrington. I thought you were Gibbs. You both have a particular way of knowing when I'm about to call."

"It's alright Ducky. So what do you got?" I asked.

"Besides an acute case of embarrassment, I suspected at the crime scene that the cause of death were these gunshot wounds but I was entirely wrong. You see how the edges of the wounds have extensive powder burns?"

"Yes. That means he was shot after he was dead." I said.

"Very good. The cause of death is actually poisoning. I found d this light green liquid in the contents of his stomach and found tiny objects imbedded in the lining. I was about to send these up to Abby for analysis."

"Let me know what she has." I said as I started to leave.

"Have you had the pleasure of meeting her yet?"

"Not yet. I've been a little busy." I said standing in the doorway.

"Mr. Palmer, would you escort Miss Carrington up to Abby's lab with these?"

"Certainly doctor." Jimmy said taking the 2 specimen jars. I left autopsy with Palmer and got on the elevator. He pushed a button and we went up one floor.

Music met my ears as the elevator doors opened. Just by the rhythmic sound radiating through the door in front of us, I could tell that this Abby person was someone I could really get along with. Jimmy let me walk into the Lab first but no one was here.

"Abby?!" Jimmy yelled and another door in the back opened. A woman with black hair tied up into pigtails wearing a very short red plaid skirt, Gothic style boots that came up to her knees, and a black shirt stood before us as the music lowered. She had a smile on her face that could brighten the mood on anyone.

"Abby, I'd like you to meet the new member of Agent Gibbs team. Blayke Carrington this is Abby Scutio."

"It's very nice to meet you." I said holding out my hand but instead of shaking my extended hand, she engulfed me in a hug.

"It's great to meet you. I had a feeling Director Vance would appoint someone eventually. How's Gibbs taking it?"

"I can tell that he doesn't like it." I said truthfully.

"Don't worry. Gibbs, deep down under that Marine Corp hardness, is a compassionate teddy bear. Just don't tell him I said that."

"That'll be our little secret. Besides I know how to deal with Marines. I used to be one." I said chuckling.

"Oh really? Where did you serve?"

"The Helmand Province." I stated.

"That's a dangerous place."

"It is. That's why command gave me 2 companions." I said nodding my head.

"You have 2 German Shepherds? Where are they?"

"Upstairs at my desk." I said which made her face brighten.

"Oh I have to see them!"

"You can do that later Abbs. You got anything for me?" Gibbs said as he came into the room with a large drink in his hand.

"I haven't got anything from Ducky yet."

"Oh I'm sorry. Here." Jimmy said handing the jars to Abby. With one look from Gibbs, Palmer hurried out of the room.

"Gibbs did you know that Blayke was a Marine and served in the Helmand Province? I guess you already know about her dogs. I'll get right on this and call you."

"You finish those reports Agent Carrington?" Gibbs asked looking over at me.

"Yes sir. Called the Staff Sergeant's friends and they should be here by now. Also Ducky said that the cause of death was not by gun shot wounds but by poisoning." Gibbs walked out but not before leaving the large drink on the table behind Abby. No words were spoken as I rode the elevator back up to the squad room with Gibbs. It was a little awkward but I enjoy the silence. The elevator doors opened up in the squad room and Gibbs let me step off first. At least he's a gentleman under that hard exterior.

"DiNozzo, have the Staff Sergeant's friends arrived?"

"Only one. A Sergeant Jordan Knox. I put him in the conference room." DiNozzo said clearly startled by Gibbs's presence.

"You question him?"

"I'm actually going to do that now boss." He said getting up from his seat.

"Nope. Agent Carrington will do that." I watched as Gibbs smacked DiNozzo on the back of the head before gesturing me to follow him.

"Oh DiNozzo. You keep playing that damn game and I'll kill you myself."

"Won't happen again Boss." He said rubbing the back of his head. I couldn't stop the smirk coming onto my face. I followed Gibbs upstairs as if we were headed to the Director's office but we passed his secretary's. Gibbs then stopped outside a door at the end of a hallway.

"Let's see how you do." Gibbs informed me. He opened the conference room door and let me enter first.

"Is anyone going to tell me why I was dragged into NCIS?"

"Sergeant Knox, I'm Agent Blayke Carrington and this is Special Agent Gibbs. Please have a seat." I said sitting down with Gibbs.

"For you? Anything." I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the flirting tone the Sergeant gave me.

"I'd like to ask you a few questions regarding the events of last night while you were with Staff Sergeant Michael Woodruff." I stated taking out a pad of paper and a pen.

"Ask away sweet cheeks."

"So where was he?" I asked.

"With me, Liams, and Haggerson. We were celebrating Haggerson's engagement."

"Where was that?" I inquired.

"The Golden Nugget. I'm sure you could work there too with a body like that. Of course you could give me a private dance if he wasn't here." His friend is dead and he's hitting on an officer of the law. Smug son of bitch isn't he?

"How long were you guys celebrating?" I asked getting his mind back on track.

"We partied up until Liams got us thrown out. Then we went to some bar."

"Got the name?" I questioned.

"I was pretty hammered last night. Maybe Liams or Haggerson knows. Why are you asking me this anyways? Did his wife call you?" From the questioning look on his face he had no idea his friend was dead.

"She did call you didn't she? Damn she can't even let him go out with his friends without causing some kind of dramatic scene."

"Why's that Sergeant? Were they having marital issues?" I asked and he scoffed.

"If that's what you want to call it. Every time he would come home on leave with us, she would act like some kind of psycho bitch. Always accusing him of cheating on her even before he joined the Marines. What did she say this time? That Michael ran off with some girl because he didn't come home last night?"

"No it's more complicated than that." I stated writing down everything he said.

"He's dead." Sergeant Knox's face turned a shade of white as a shocked expression came over him.

"What? What happened to him?"

"We believe he was poisoned and to cover it up someone shot him." I informed him and his hand shot to his mouth.

"Oh God."

"Did he leave with anyone last night?" Gibbs asked.

"No. He got a call and went outside. I figured his wife called and told him to get his ass home."

"Thank you Sergeant. If we have anymore questions, I'll be in contact." I said standing with Gibbs. The Sergeant left the conference room but as I was about to leave Gibbs blocked the door.

"You stay. I'll have DiNozzo escort the other friends as they get here." He left leaving the door open and I sat back down in one of the plush office chairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I rubbed my head feeling the day baring down on me. All 3 men had different stories about what had happened at last night's engagement party. They even had different opinions about Staff Sergeant Woodruff's wife. After I questioned Sergeant Travis Haggerson, Gibbs had me back at my desk to write up a report on all 3 friends plus Staff Sergeant Woodruff's wife to put into the case file. I didn't have to do this much scud work when I first became an NCIS Agent. I can only imagine what Gibbs is going to have me doing until I'm right in his eyes.

DiNozzo and McGee left a fee minutes ago leaving me to finish my last bit of paperwork. I had to finish these reports before I can even think about going home but that didn't stop Tsunami and Jethro from whining at me. I reached down and petted their heads.

"Don't worry boys. We'll go home soon."

"Go home. You can finish that tomorrow." Gibbs said and I looked up at him as he stood in front of my desk.

"No I'm fine sir. They act like puppies when they get tired."

"I'll be happy to take them out for you. I've still got some things processing that won't be done for a while." Abby's voice chimed in making Gibbs look over at her.

"Thanks Abby. I should be done in 20." I grabbed their leashes from my desk drawer which perked them up instantly. Tsunami and Jethro barked happily as I attached their leashes.

"Don't stay too late Abby. You either Blayke." Gibbs said as he put on his long coat before heading to the elevator with Abby, Tsunami, and Jethro.

Once the elevator doors closed, I took a break from my work and decided on finding out about the people I work with. I mostly need assurance to whether or not I can trust them with my most guarded secret. I began with our Medical Examiner and his assistant. Ducky went to the most prestigious medical school in England and gained various praises and recognitions from dozens of people on the medical profession. Jimmy Palmer is fresh out of medical school so he hasn't had a chance to live. Abby Scuito is the adopted child of a mother and father who were hearing impaired. She's seems very we respected forensic scientist on Gibbs's team. Interesting enough, she found her biological brother working jn a pet store.

Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo started off in Philly with a police department before going to other precincts before ending up here. His father is rich man who travels too much. He has to have gotten the ability to quote classic films from his mother. Agent Timothy McGee went to MIT where his knowledge of computing is greatly profound here at NCIS. Definitely a great asset to this team.

Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. As I figured, he's a Marine with the rank of Gunnery Sergeant. As I continued to read through his file, I couldn't believe what I was reading. No wonder he doesn't let people in. His poor wife and only daughter were killed in a car accident when the driver was shot taking them to a safe house. In some ways I can sympathize with the man. I lost the father of my child and now my baby is missing. I was about to sign off my computer when 2 names in the file caught my eye.

I clicked on the first name and it gave me a detailed report on what happened to a former Secret Service and NCIS Agent Kate Todd. She was killed in the line of duty by a terrorist. The second name was that of a former Mossad Officer named Ziva David. Her father was killed some time ago but before that she was invited to the agency by a former Director of NCIS Jenny Shepard. Miss David had some troubles but reluctantly left NCIS and went back to Israel.

These were 2 exceptional agents that sat at this desk. It's going to be tough to fill their shoes but I never pass up a good challenge and I never will. Now that I know who I'm dealing with on an everyday basis...I think Im going to have to study on this for just a little bit longer. I don't want to just tell anyone about my daughter's disappearance. I need it to be someone I trust fully.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts on this chapter? I'd love to hear them?

Any thoughts on what might happen next? Comments make me happy and everyone wants to keep the writer happy...don't they?