‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

Secret Comes to Light

Every few days, both Abby and Ducky have been coming over to my house to tell me what they had found. The first night they came over, Ducky sat up in Jayla's room to get a sense of her personality while Abby informed me of some strange fibers on my daughter's clothing. Something the FBI had obviously missed. The fibers she found turned out to be a piece of her uniform. That would make sense since her clothing would be placed with her uniforms. Now she's got to run a teat on the fibers in the morning to see if there could be any residue. I'm hoping there will be something to go on. Ducky did tell me that the photos taken from her bunking area helped him draw a fairly good conclusion as to what kind of person my daughter is. The person or persons responsible for her disappearance were mostly people she trusted. I talked to all of her friends and she had left the ship alone and there was no indication that they were lying about a boyfriend. My nerves are really starting to wear thin. I need a fucking suspect to question!

After putting on Tsunami and Jethro's vests, I filled my Thermos with hot coffee. Gibbs likes my coffee and I see to it to give him at least 2 cups out of it before it's gone. I left the house with my boys and began mg trip back into DC. Every now and then I would glance up at the rearview mirror to see them sticking their heads out the window. I wonder why dogs do that? I pulled into the Navy Yard and easily found my parking space next to Abby's hot rod. I got out letting Tsunami and Jethro out of the backseat before heading into the building. I'm so glad these ID cards let us slip right through security. It would take forever to get through if it didn't. I checked my watch as we got on the elevator. It's a bit early for McGee and DiNozzo to arrive so I'm going to go see Abby for a few minutes.

"Hey Abbs." I said smiling as she was setting up her computers. She must have just got here as well.

"You're here early."

"Got some paperwork to do before getting the day started." I said as she gave my boys a good morning petting.

"I wanted to get a jump start on those fibers."

"Let me know what you find." I said giving her a hug before leaving the lab and getting on the elevator to go to the squad room. The doors opened to the orange painted walls and we went over to my desk. Tsunami and Jethro laid down in their spots as I got started on the paperwork from the other cases we had worked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I was no where close to getting the paperwork done when McGee and DiNozzo stepped off the elevator ready to start the day. McGee was dressed somewhat casually while DiNozzo was dressed in another expensive looking monkey suit. Is he trying to impress?

"Good morning Blayke. Why are you here so early?" McGee asked as he sat down at his desk.

"Catching up on a lite bit of paperwork before I head to the vet."

"Getting your rabies shot?" DiNozzo joked.

"No you might need yours though." I smiled and he stood to his feet. He frantically looked around and through his desk and we both looked at him. It had been a month since DiNozzo had paid me back from my pranking him. Of course I made it very clear to him that I would get him back when he least expects it.

"So why are they going to the vet?"

"Routine checkup." I stated before looking at my watch. I saved my report before turning off the screen. I quickly scribbled down a note to Gibbs and left it on his desk.

"I'll be back later." I snapped my fingers bringing Tsunami and Jethro's attention to me. We left the squad room via the elevator to get on to the vet before our appointment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~Gibbs' POV~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A few days ago, I travelled to Quantico to the NCIS building to find out anything and everything I could on the reason Blayke was transferred to my team. I talked to Director Alexander and he gave me the same answer Leon did. Then I found her old team. That's where I got some answers. Her old team members told me about the disappearance of a woman named Jayla and how she is connected to Blayke. She's her daughter. A Petty Officer who disappeared roughly 8 months ago. Of course I was questioned as to why I was asking about Blayke's daughter and I had to tell them that I was looking into her disappearance. That was a big help so I returned to Washington DC.

I hung up my phone after finishing up a call about a dead Petty Officer in Anacostia. I stepped off the elevator and notices that my team wasn't whole. I went to my desk and picked up a note left to me by Blayke.

Gibbs,

Had some business to take care of at the vet with Tsunami and Jethro this morning. I'll be in as soon as possible.

Blayke Carrington


"Gear up. We got a dead Petty Officer in Anacostia." I announced grabbing my things from behind my desk. McGee and DiNozzo followed me onto the elevator and we went down to the garage.

McGee and DiNozzo got into the MCRT truck while I took the government issued Dodge Charger. It was a short drive since the body was found in the park just across the river. When we got there the local LEOs were taking the statement of the person who found the body.

"What do we got?" I asked the officer once he gave the shaken woman his notepad to give a statement.

"This woman found the body about 30 minutes ago while jogging. When I saw the Navy uniform, I immediately called you guys."

"Anyone touch the body?" I questioned the young officer and he shook his head.

"No sir. I just taped off the area."

"Good. We'll take it from here." I said before walking away and going under the caution tape. The body of the young woman was horribly battered and blood covered the front of her uniform. The girl looked familiar but I couldn't place it. I slipped on a pair of latex gloves before going onto her pockets to find her ID but there wasn't one.

McGee bent down and with a gloved hand placed the index finger of the Petty Officer on the portable fingerprint scanner.

"Our victim is Petty Officer... woah."

"What McGee?" I asked.

"Her last name is Carrington. Jayla Carrington. Her name has been flagged by the FBI as a missing person."

"Well she's not missing anymore." I said. Now the part comes where I've got to deliver bad news to the newest member of my team. I helped McGee and DiNozzo process the scene before Ducky and Palmer took away her body.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~Blayke's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tsunami and Jethro's checkups were good and thankfully the place wasn't crowded. I know I told Gibbs through a note that I would be back as soon as possible but I wanted to get back just in case we had case. I pulled into the Navy Yard again and found my spot next to Abby. Tsunami and Jethro followed closely with me as we went into the building and got onto the elevator to go up to the squad room. The metal doors opened up again and I glances over at my desk. No one was here. Must have gotten a case. I'll get settled in and then I'll call McGee and find out the location. As I sat down I heard the elevator and looked over there. DiNozzo, McGee, and Gibbs got off. DiNozzo had no smile on his face and neither did McGee. Did I miss something?

"Did you guys have a bad case?" I asked as DiNozzo and McGee sat down at their desks. Gibbs stayed standing in front of mine.

"What's going on?"

"Blayke, I need to speak with you privately." Gibbs said. What the hell is going on? I got up from my seat and stood with him in front of my desk.

"What's this about? Just tell me."

"Your daughter was found dead in Anacostia Park this morning." Gibbs said sympathetically. I could feel my soul drain completely from my body.

"What?" I questioned.

"I'm sorry for your loss." I left the squad room and took the stairs down to the morgue where Ducky and Jimmy had unzipped the body bag. The sound of the door opening made the 2 men look up at me. I stared as I got closer to the table. It took all my strength to hold in the tears that wanted to spring from my eyes. Anger and sadness combined made my body shake with anger. I want the bastards who did this to my daughter dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Come on readers! I can really use some comments here.

It would make me feel better if someone would say something about the chapters I post