‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

Secrets Come to Light 2

"Palmer leave." I said as I stood beside my daughter. A second later I heard the Morgue's automatic door open and then shut again.

"Is this your daughter Blayke?" I nodded to Ducky's question and he sighed.

"I'll give you a minute."

"Thanks." I said finding my voice. I need to call my mother first. I dig through my pockets until I found my cell phone. I pressed the speed dial number for my mom and listened to the monotonous ringing.

Hello?]/i]

"Mom?"

Blayke, are you alright sweety?

"We found Jayla...she's dead."

Dead? What happened?

"We don't know yet but mom I promise you I will find whoever did this to Jayla."

I'm coming to you sweetheart.

"Ill be home later. Just let yourself in." I hung up the phone before she could say anything else and I slipped my phone back into my pocket. I grabbed a rolling stool and sat down.

How could I let this happen? I failed in so many different ways. I failed as an investigator in finding her but most importantly I failed as mother. I vowed to keep her safe from everything and I fucking failed. Hate is all that surged through my body. Hate mixed with sadness and failure is a dangerous combination. I looked at her bruised face. Some of the bruises were old and some were new. When I catch the bastard who did this to my baby....they will feel the pain I feel. I gently touched her hair with my hand and somewhere inside me was hoping she would open her eyes but they didn't.

"I'm so sorry baby. I failed you and I didn't mean to. If I had looked harder you wouldn't be laying there right now but mark my words I will find who's responsible and make them pay." I whispered to her. The ding of the elevator made me look over at the glass door as Gibbs stepped off. Luckily Ducky was there to stop him from coming in. I stood and composed myself for what was go come next. I left the body bag unzipped and exited the morgue.

"Thanks Ducky." I said placing one hand on his shoulder. Gibbs held the elevator door open and I stepped on. When the doors closed and the elevator began to move, Gibbs flipped the emergency stop making the elevator hault its movement and the lights dim.

"Why?"

"Why what?" I asked looking at Gibbs.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"That's my business." I said flipping the emergency stop switch to make the movement begin again. Gibbs flipped it back making come to a stop again.

"I don't like people keeping secrets from me."

"I vowed with my life to find Jayla when the FBI gave up on her 5 months ago. I failed but I won't fail in finding her killer." I said making the elevator go again.

"You can't be involved."

"This FBI fuckers told me the same thing. I will not give up. You can bench me but that won't stop me." I said as the doors opened up to the squad room. I started to leave but Gibbs blocked the way.

"Go home. We have rules for a reason."

"No way in hell." I said shaking my head. Gibbs stared at me but his ice cold stare doesn't intimidate me. I walked around him but he grabbed my arm.

"Agent Carrington." We both looked over as Director Vance stood just feet away.

"Both of you in my office." Director Vance commanded. I jerked my arm out of his grip and followed the Director up to his office.

"I just heard about your daughter's death Agent Carrington. You have my condolences but I'm afraid you can't work the case."

"All due respect sir. The FBI and my former Director told me same thing when she disappeared. I may have failed in finding her alive but I will not fail when it comes to catching the bastard who did this to her." I said truthfully.

"I know. That's why I'm allowing you to be kept informed but you will not go out into the field, interview, or interrogate anyone. Is that understood?"

"Yes sir." I said.

"You cross that line in any way and I'll pull you from the entire investigation."

"Yes Director." I said nodding.

"Now that that's settled. I need a minute with Agent Gibbs so please excuse us." I nodded and left the Director's office. I took the stairs back down to the squad room and sat at my desk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Gibbs POV~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I stared at Vance as Agent Carrington left the office shutting the door behind her.

"I usually don't do this but Gibbs I want you to keep Agent Carrington informed on this case."

"She's too close Leon. Rule 10: Never get personally involved with a case." I said.

"I know it's not protocol but you would demand the same courtesy if this were your daughter."

"But it's not my daughter."

"I know but she still needs to know that we support her Gibbs. You heard what she said so there's no way around this situation. I'm putting in a call to the Director of the FBI to make this a joint investigation." I watched Leon pull put a file from his desk and he handed it over to me.

"This is a copy of the file on the FBI's investigation into Jayla Carrington's disappearance. That should give you all the information that your team will need." I left Leon's office without another word. I already got the information I needed out of Blayke's old team so this can help brief McGee and DiNozzo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~Blayke's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It wasn't long after I had sat back down at my desk that Abby came running around the corner and into the squad room.

"Blayke, I just heard!" Abby engulfed me in a hug and I balanced myself to keep the chair from tipping over.

"I was fixing to come down and see you."

"Wait. Abby knew about your daughter?" DiNozzo asked and I nodded.

"Blayke enlisted mine and Ducky's help a few months ago. What had the Director said?"

"He's keeping me in the loop. I just can't go into the field, question anyone, or do any interrogations." I explained.

"Again I'm so sorry about Jayla."

"Thanks Abbs. McGee make sure to call me if you have anything." I said as I gathered up my things.

"Where are you going?"

"To clear my head." I said before heading to the elevator with Tsunami and Jethro at my side. Half of me feels so terrible for not letting McGee, DiNozzo, and Gibbs know about Jayla. Maybe they could've been the new eyes to help me find her before she was murdered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are helpful.

Thanks to my second commenter the pumpkin king;
I'm so glad you like this story!

More commenters would make me very happy