‹ Prequel: Once a Hero
Status: Comments make updates coms faster!

Always a Hero

A Visitor

I pulled into the driveway and shut down the engine. I could really use a strong drink. Tsunami and Jethro jumped out of the car once I opened the back seat door. I put the key into the door lock of mg home as a car pulled into my driveway. I immediately recognized my mother's car.

"Mom what are you doing here?" I asked as she exited her vehicle. Tsunami and Jethro ran towards wagging their tails happily. My mother petted them just as eagerly.

"You need me here honey. You know for Jayla's funeral arrangement."

"That won't be happening until the investigation is completed." I said taking her bags from her trunk.

"Investigation? Was Jayla murdered?"

"It looks to be that way mom. Come on in and I'll get you settled." I said unlocking the door and letting her go inside. Tsunami and Jethro went straight to the kitchen patiently waiting to be fed and watered. Mom took her bags from my hands.

"Don't fuss over me child. You go and fix supper. I know where the guest room is."

"Are you sure you don't want me to help you unpack?" She looked over her glasses at me with her famous I'm not that damn old look before heading up the stairs while I went to the kitchen. I scooped out dog food for my boys and filled their bowls with fresh water then I got to work on supper.

I set put everything I needed to make Meatloaf on the counter while the oven was preheating. I was planning on making the Meatloaf tonight and whatever I didn't eat was to be my lunch but since mom is here she'll help me eat some of it. I mixed my ingredients for meatloaf into a large mixing bowl before laying the ball of meat into a loaf pan and shaping it to fit. The oven beeped 3 times letting me know it was ready. I slid the pan into the oven and closed up the door. As I did this, the sound of paw steps and footsteps combined come down the stairs. I got into the fridge and took out a beer for me before getting my mom's favorite drink of choice: Orange Crush.

"What do you have cooking?"

"Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas." I said popping the tops off of our drinks. I set the Orange crush down in front of my mom as she sat down at the island bar.

"Thank you. Are you using my recipe?"

"Of course. I don't get to your house often anymore because of the case load so I have to cook something that reminds me of home." I said smiling before guzzling down half of my beer.

"How is work going by the way?"

"There are good days and then there's bad days. Why didn't dad come with you?" I asked out of curiosity even though I already had a pretty good idea as to why he didn't.

"You know how your father is about work. I tried to get him to take a few days off and come down with me but he said he couldn't take the time off right now."

"Yeah I kind of figured that's what he would do." I said cleaning up what dishes I had used to make the meatloaf.

"Don't be so hard on your father dear. He's hurting just as much as we are. He just has his own way of dealing with it."

"I know mom. It's just...he shouldn't have let you drive all the way up her by yourself. Anything could've happened." I said a little angrily.

"I know but I'm here and I'm fine so please don't fret over it."

"If you say so." I said nodding. I finished washing the dishes and I put it into the drainer to dry before starting on the mashed potatoes. They should be soft enough to mash when the meatloaf comes out.

"Are you going to be okay here by yourself tomorrow while I'm at work?" I asked finishing the beer and throwing away the bottle.

"Why don't you just stay home tomorrow? If they need you for anything I'm sure someone will call."

"I can't. I want to be there in case something comes up on who did this to Jayla." I said checking my watch. I pulled the meatloaf from the oven and sat it on the counter to cool.

"When will I get to meet the new team?"

"Soon mom." I said checking the potatoes by poking them with a fork. I took them off the heat and drained all the water. With a masher, I smooshed the potatoes until it was smooth before adding some butter, salt, and milk.

I stirred it all together as mom set the table. After the peas were heated, I put the food on the table and we sat to eat. I put everything close enough to where my mother didn't have to stand and reach over the table. We filled our plates with the delicious looking food and ate in a comfortable silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When we had eaten our fill, mom insisted that since I had cooked that she would clean up the kitchen. I tried to protest but that fell on deaf ears so I went down to the basement to work. I put on my belt that held most of the tools I needed frequently and sat down to work on the art work that would go on the side of this very special project. Jayla's old missing persons case flowed back into my mind. Jayla was supposed to come to here for dinner but never made it. I need to talk to the people she worked with on the ship. I know the FBI had done that but maybe they have remembered something that they didn't tell those agents. I need to know when that Carrier is coming back to the port. I picked up my cell and dialed the number to the port station.

Port Authority Station 16.

"This is Special Agent Blayke Carrington NCIS. When is the Carrier USS Nimitz supposed to dock?" I asked politely.

USS Nimitz will dock at 1030 hours tomorrow morning. May I ask why you want this information?

"It's case related." I stated before ending the call. Well I know where I'm going before work.

"I see you're still doing wood working to calm your mind."

"It helps me think mostly mom." I said as I sanded the sides of the wooden block.

"Think about what?"

"The case." I said lighting up a cigarette.

"I remember when your father would build cabinets and dressers for people. Even toys for the local kids who's parents couldn't afford them at Christmas time. He doesn't do that much anymore."

"Why don't you get some rest mom? I'm sure you're exhausted after your drive up here." I said as mom leaned against the doorway.

"I'm about to. I just wanted to see if you needed anything before I do."

"No I'm fine. I love you mom." I said smiling.

"I love you too." I watched her disappear from the doorway and listened to her footsteps go up to the guest room.

I poured myself a small glass of bourbon and gulped it down. The burn let me know that I was actually still able to feel pain. Tsunami and Jethro perked up as I took off the belt and sat it down on the table. A yawn escaped me as I went up the stairs and into the living room. My bed doesn't get used much anymore since Jayla isn't here. If she can't sleep in a bed any longer then I won't.
♠ ♠ ♠
A very special message to the pumpkin king;
Thank you so much for commenting! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Comments? What do you all think Blayke is working on down in her basement? I would love to know what you think.