International Lies

Chapter 1

The hot Oklahoma sun beat down on the shooting range in Fort Sill. Staff Sergeants Jordan Diaz and Jennifer Smith were heating up in their ACUs while keeping a watchful eye on the latest basic trainees on the marksmanship course. When the live fire ended and the soldiers started marching back to their barracks, Jordan fell in behind them, alongside Jennifer.

"Hot enough for you?" Jordan jokingly asked while playing with his ACU top to combat the heat.

"Just enough to make me regret getting selected to be a drill sergeant," Jennifer replied, shaking her head.

The two walked back to their command quarters, where Captain Jack Thompson was sitting behind his desk, basking in the cool of the air conditioner.

"You two look toasted," Jack told his subordinates, cracking a smile at their sunburned faces.

"Yeah," Jennifer answered, "Better than the luxury of sitting behind a desk all day in cold air."

"Jealous, aren't we?" Jack giggled.

"Not in the least bit," Jordan replied as he took off his cover and ran his hand through his short blond hair, "Not when it comes to doing paperwork. I'd rather be outside breathing in fresh air."

Jennifer laughed as she took a seat nearby. She took off her cover to cool her short light brown hair. She was lost in thought, enjoying the cool of the room, when Jordan snapped his fingers in front of her.

"You awake there?" Jordan asked her, "I know I'm handsome, but damn."

"I've been with better," Jennifer counterattacked, "Just enjoying the cold."

"I think it's other things, but hey, what do I know," Jordan said with a smirk.

It was cool that they were able to joke around with each other to pass the time. Jordan, Jennifer, and Jack all arrived for their three year training duty at the same time. Although she developed a crush for Jordan, she wouldn't admit it. Even Jack had a feeling of noticing that crush, but he wouldn't mention his notice. They were getting into their second year when the feelings developed. Jennifer thought what would happen when their assignment was over and they returned to their respective bases. Sh was kind of hoping Jordan was wondering the same thing. No matter what happened, they were family, the three of them.

"I hate to interrupt your love for each other, but we have more pressing issues at hand," Jack said.

"Yes we do," Jordan replied, then looked towards Jennifer and told her what she missed during her daydream.

"They're good," Jennifer said, referring to the soldiers at the shooting range, "I mean, not great, but they can aim and shoot."

Jack scratched his black hair and nodded. As he stood up and walked towards his file cabinet, three soldiers walked in. Two of them were wearing MP patches on their arms.

"Hey, what's up?" Jack started to say to the third soldier, but the soldier held his hand up.

"Captain Jackson Thompson, Staff Sergeant Jordan Diaz, and Staff Sergeant Jennifer Smith, you are all being placed under arrest," the third soldier stated.

"For what?" Jennifer asked, raising her voice.

"Ma'am, please remain calm and place your hands behind your back," one of the MPs ordered.

"Just tell us what this is about," Jack stated, "It would be nice to know why three innocent people are getting arrested."

The three soldiers looked at each other for a moment, then looked back at the three they were arresting.

"Sir, we won't ask you again," the soldier in the middle, Daniels, said with force, "If you resist, we will have no choice but to use force."

"What is the charge?" Jordan asked with pauses between his words.

"Treason," one of the MPs finally answered, "Treason and espionage."
♠ ♠ ♠
I've wrote this story once before with a much different beginning a few years back and felt that this beginning was easier to start with this time around. The chapter ended the same way, with the three soldiers being arrested