‹ Prequel: The Marauder Princess
Status: finished

Heirs of the Marauders

Chapter 5: Detention

Kali raced down the hall as fast as she could. You could hear her coming down the hall because off all the noise her shoes were making as she ran. Damn him! He didn’t tell me that detention was going to be in the trophy room! Kali thought furiously to herself. I’ll never get there in time! She saw a Prefect walking down the hall. She quickly flashed her detention slip at her and kept running not bothering to speak to her. She could see the trophy room just up ahead of her. She skidded into the room and slipped and landed on her butt.

“Ow”

“You’re late Miss Hittlet.” Snape said looking down on her.

“I wouldn’t have been had I known that detention was going to be up here.”

Snape grinned. “Mr. Malfoy was to have informed you.”

“Well the ferret boy didn’t” she hissed glaring at Draco.

“10 points from Gryffindor for name calling and tardiness.”

Kali was about to retaliate but changed her mind not wanting to lose more points. She closed her mouth. I really really hate these two. Kali declared in her mind.

“The two of you are to clean all these trophies by hand. No magic. If you do so you will gain yourself a week’s worth more of detentions.” Snape said, “Enjoy.”

He left with that his robes swing about him eerily.

“I blame you for this.” Draco said turning to clean one of the trophies.

“Yeah well if you wouldn’t have insulted my family then…”

“Just shut up.”

Kali sighed. What was the since of fighting with him? It would only give her a headache that’s what. She started scrubbing on the closest trophy. As she cleaned to amuse herself she read the names and what the trophy’s and awards were for. She moved on to two identical awards. As she started to scrub the one she gasped seeing the name on it. It was Kelly Reineke’s special award to the school!

Draco looked over at her. He could see the look of shock and wonder on her face. What’s with her? It’s like she has seen a ghost. He thought. Kali began cleaning the award with tender care. What was it with that one award Draco thought to himself? When she was finished with Kelly’s Kali moved to the one next to it to find Raven’s as she expected. She reached out to clean it. When her hand touched the cold surface of the award everything went black for a moment then…

An image of a boy she had never seen before appeared before her. He had cold green eyes that made Kali feel as if he was seeing right into her soul. He had blonde hair that hung long on one side. It had a bead in the long strand. The boy’s hair was short otherwise. He had to be her age or a year older. He was grinning wickedly for some reason. Then the image disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

Now an image of a girl appeared. The girl had beautiful strawberry blonde hair that flowed down her back to her waist. Her eyes were a warm violet that held both a love of life and sadness. Kali new this girl was Raven from a picture that her mother had. She was crying for some reason. Why? What had happened to make her cry? From the stories Emily had told Kali Raven was one that never cried much. Then the Dark Mark appeared upon Raven’s arm. Then this image changed to another.

It was her mother! Only it was a younger Emily that was now sitting there, but she wasn’t alone. Kali also recognized a younger Remus Lupin with Raven sitting on his lap! Then there was a boy that looked exactly like Harry only his eyes weren’t green. It must be Prongs she thought to herself. A girl with bright red hair and green eyes sat next to him. Harry’s mother! Then a boy with long black hair and gray eyes was sitting on the floor. It’s Padfoot! Wormtal was sitting there too. Then there was a girl with long brown hair in a braid who had glasses. Kelly! They were all laughing and had their schoolbooks, quills, and other school things out. Then this faded and another image took its place.

Kali’s heart thundered in her chest as the image of Death Eaters took the place of her mother and her mother’s friends. There were fourteen of them at least. All in black cloaks with their hoods up so their faces couldn’t be seen. All but one! Among them the boy from the first vision stood. His blonde hair very visible. Suddenly two of them stepped toward her and threw back their hoods. They both had black hair but one had violet eye similar to Raven’s only his were cold and evil looking. The other man’s eyes were blue. A shiver went through her for this man’s eyes showed so much hate! Then this image too disappeared.
Kali gave a scream as she was surrounded by a green light, which she knew to be the killing curse!


Draco stood over her now. Her breathing was coming in short gasps. Draco waved his hand in front of her.

“Hey you ok?” he said.

She smacked his hand away. “Get away from me!” she yelled

“I asked if you’re okay?”

“And I told you to get away from me.” Kali repeated glairing up at him.

Draco turned from her and walked back across the room.

“Ok now that I’m away from you will you answer my question?”

Kali looked over at him. Why did he care anyway if she was ok or not? He hated her guts about as much as he did Harry’s.

“Why the heck do you care if I’m ok or not?” she asked getting up.

“Uh let’s see... Maybe because you passed out and you screamed for no apparent reason.”

Kali had to admit she was shaken by what had happened herself but she wasn’t going to let this jerk know that.

“I’m fine.” She lied and went back to cleaning.

Not another word was spoken between the two of them the rest of the detention but Kali could feel Draco’s eyes on her every so often. Kali’s hands had begun to hurt by the time an hour was up. There were so many darn awards and trophies in this room. Snape returned at the end of the detention to see if the work was good enough. He looked over everything and said it was fine and they could go. Kali raced off up the stairs to Gryffindor Tower as fast as she could.

Once there she made her way quickly up to her room and grabbed a quill and a piece of parchment and began writing a letter to her mother. It was to tell her what had happened tonight. She described everything in as much detail as she could; hoping that her mother could tell her what was going on. Another thought that was at the back of her mind was the fact that once more Draco had shown a bit of kindness toward her. What was going on? Kali set the letter in her nightstand draw she would send it off first thing in the morning. For now she needed to get some sleep so she wouldn’t fall asleep during class. She walked into the bathroom and changed into her pj’s. When she came back out Devi was sitting on her bed.

“Hi Devi. What are you doing up so late?”

“Waiting for you. How did detention with the blonde evil one go?”

“Ok. Devi I’m really tired can we talk tomorrow?”

Devi nodded and flew up to take his usual place in the rafters. Kali climbed into bed and snuggled into her blankets. Suddenly she felt as if all her energy had been drained from her.

“Night Devi.” She whispered as she closed her eyes.

She didn’t see the concerned look on her small friends face. Devi was no fool. He might not be human but he knew something was wrong. His mistress wasn’t acting right sense coming back from that detention. He remembered the orders he was given by his mistress’ mother.

“Devi I want you to watch over Kali. One of my old rival’s sons goes to Hogwarts. Lucius Malfoy is a Death Eater and his son, Draco, maybe one as well. I don’t want to worry Kali by telling her this. So I want you to make sure she is safe. You know she means everything to me. She is the only family I have left so protect her and let me know at the first hint of trouble do you understand?” Emily was staring out of the window of her office.

“Yes, I will do this.” He promised.


Devi could remember the worried look on Emily’s face when she had spoken to him that day. Never before had he seen Emily in such a way. Devi planned on keeping his promise to Emily. He never made a promise he didn’t keep or try to keep.

He looked down at Kali’s sleeping form. He remembered her coming in hurriedly and quickly writing something on a piece of parchment and then put it in her draw when she was done. He dropped down from his perch and landed quietly on the floor. He waddled over to the stand and then hopped up on a chair that was close to it. He then opened the draw and found the paper. He pulled it out and began reading it. Devi was glad that Kali was going to tell Emily about what happened but sad that she would lie to him.

Kali normal told him everything. For after reading this he knew she definitely was not fine after this had happened. He knew he wouldn’t if something like that had happened to him. But why had it happened? Could the Malfoy boy have done it to her? Devi was unsure so he would wait and let Emily take care of this one. He looked back at her sleeping peacefully and flew back up to his sleeping spot. The other girls stirred slightly but didn’t wake. He closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep hoping morning would come quickly.