‹ Prequel: The Marauder Princess
Status: finished

Heirs of the Marauders

Chapter 6: Pegus Wind and a Debt

"YOU EVIL LITTLE RAT!" Ron yelled at Devi.

Devi had decided to give Ron a nice wake up gift. As Ron had been coming down the stairs Devi had attacked him from behind making him fall the rest of the way down the stairs. Ron jumped up and started trying to hit Devi.

"COME HERE YOU BLOODY FLYING RAT!"

Devi was laughing and staying just beyond Ron’s reach. When Ron got out his wand and started trying to hit him with spells it amused Devi even more. He dodged them with ease. Devi smacked him in the forehead with his tail and then quick got out of his reach again.

"Weasel is stupid." Devi said.

"STUPID! I’LL SHOW YOU WHO’S STUPID!"

Ron tried even harder to get Devi, but no matter how hard he tried Devi was just too quick. Devi then decided to grab on to his hair and pull as hard as he could.

"AHHH!"

"What’s going on?" A sleepy voice asked.

Devi let go of Ron and flew over to Kali who was rubbing her eyes sleepily. Ron glared at the two of them.

"That bloody thing tried to kill me!" Ron yelled at Kali

"Oh Ron don’t be ridiculous. Devi wouldn’t do that." she said and then yawned.

Devi smiled and then stuck his tongue out at Ron.

"That rat is a menace to us sane people."

"Are you implying I’m not sane Ronald Weasley?" Kali asked now fully awake.

"Yes, keeping that thing around, you can’t be!"

Kali’s eye’s flashed red and Ron regretted his words. She grinned.

"Devi. Get him!"

Devi hit Ron smack in the face with his tail and once again latched hold of his hair.

"BLOODY HELL! SOMEONE HELP ME!" Ron yelled

Ron tried his best to get Devi away from him but as always he couldn’t. He only succeeded in making Devi pull out his hair. Large clumps of his hair fell to the floor. Kali watched while grinning the whole time, which is until Harry came down.

"Not again. Kali stop him."

"Oh you’re no fun." She gave Harry a sad face.

"Kali."

"Oh all right. Devi he’s had enough."

She gave a whistle and Devi let go of Ron and went back to her.

"Next time you’ll pick your words more carefully won't you?" she said to Ron.

She then turned and walked back up to her dorm room holding Devi who once again stuck his tongue out at Ron.

Later that night Kali sat on the floor of the common room. Harry, Ron, and Hermonie sat in the chairs. Kali was doing a bit of charm work on the Pegus Wind.

"It’s finished!" she declared suddenly.

Harry and Ron’s eyes lit up. Both excited about the fact they were going to be the first ones to get to ride the new racing broom!

"Can I ride it now?" Ron asked.

"Yes, Ronald, you can."

"Yes! Well let’s go!" Harry said.

The three of them jumped up from their sitting spots.

"Ron did you forget we have Prefect duty tonight?" Hermonie reminded him.

"Come on Hermonie can’t you cover for me? This is a once in a life time chance." Ron begged.

Hermonie sighed. "Oh all right. Go but if you three get caught I’m not going to rescue you."

"You won’t have to. We’re taking my invisibility cloak." Harry said.

He disappeared up the boy’s dorm stairs and then came back a few minutes later with the cloak over his arm. They waved to Hermonie and disappeared under the cloak. Hermonie shook her head. That Kali was a bad influence. If Ron and Harry weren’t bad enough before her they were worse now. And now with Kali around it was like they didn’t even care she was around. Kali was so much more outgoing and spontaneous.

Everything I’m not. Hermonie thought to herself. And Kali was much prettier than herself too. Hermonie sighed as she walked out the portrait hole to start her rounds. How could she compete with Kali on any level? The only place she could get the best of Kali was in class and even there Kali was really good. She stopped as she passed a window and looked out toward the pitch where she knew the others would be.

"Oh well I guess." She said to herself.

Meanwhile out on the pitch:
"Ok here ya go Ron." Kali said handing Ron the Pegus Wind. "Good luck."

"What’s that supposed to mean?" Ron asked nervously.

A grin appeared on Kali’s face. "Oh nothing."

Ron mounted the broom excitement bubbling inside him. *Here goes nothing!* He thought and kicked off the ground. And Kali had been right this broom was much faster than the Firebolt! He zoomed into the air so fast that he felt like he wasn’t moving at all.

"Woah!" Harry exclaimed as he watched Ron just kick off.

Kali grinned. This was going to be the best broom yet and she couldn’t wait to tell her mom and everyone back home that she’d finished it! She watched nervously though as Ron began zooming around the pitch. There was always a chance that this particular broom could have a defect though. With its design as a Pegasus but as she watched Ron her fear of this diminished.

"This broom rules!" Ron called out to Kali.

Suddenly the broom stopped in midair.

"What’s…?” Ron started.

The broom then did a flip and not expecting it Ron fell off and began plummeting toward the ground. Oh god no! Kali’s brain screamed as Ron fell from the broom. She quickly pulled out her wand and called out the first spell that came to her mind that would possibly save him from getting hurt.

"WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA!"

Ron stopped falling only about a foot off the ground. He heaved a sigh of relief, as did Kali, that he wasn’t hurt. She set him down.

"You ok?" she asked.

"What the heck did the broom do that for?"

"Accio Pegus Wind." Kali called, "Don’t know. Harry why don’t you give it a try."

Harry looked at the broom apprehensively. But took it and took off into the sky. He rode it back and forth as fast as he could. Nothing happened. Harry finally came back down.

"It must not like you Ron." Harry said.

"Maybe you're right Harry. It must be that the broom takes to only certain witches or wizards." Kali said.

Kali took if from Harry. "If I’m right I’ll be thrown from it too. Harry be ready to catch me if I am."
Harry nodded and pulled his wand out. She mounted and kicked off the ground. She flew for a few minutes and she was thrown from it as well.

"See. It’s a temperamental broom. I can fix that easy."

She used some charm that neither Harry nor Ron had heard of. She mounted and kicked off into the air again. This time she wasn’t thrown. She did a couple loop-de-lops to show she was happy and landed. She let the boys each ride it one more time.

"We should get back to the common room."

"You guys go ahead I’m taking another spin."

"Okay see ya back in the common room."

She flew up into the air and watched the boys disappear. She did so miss being able to ride her brooms. She loved living in the Underground but down there she never could ride her brooms as often as she liked. After riding for about twenty minutes she decided she better get back. Seeing as this time she didn’t’ have the cloak. She snuck back in and was headed up the stairs when

"Meow."

"Shit! It’s Norris!" She said seeing the cat.

She heard Filtch’s footsteps coming down the hall. She started running, if she was caught she was going to have detention for a week and get points taken away. Filtch was gaining on her so she made a sharp turn into the third floor corridor. And ran smack into someone horribly familiar.

"Damn it." she said.

"Well, well, Hittlet. Out of bed after hours."

Kali looked up to see Draco standing over her. Perfect I just had to run into him. Filtch’s footsteps were getting closer quickly.

"Hermonie is so going to kill me."

Draco looked down the hall toward where Filtch was heard coming. He reached down grabbed her hand, pulled her up and began pulling her quickly down the hall.

"What the...”

"Do you want Filtch to catch you?" he asked still pulling her.

"Uh no."

"Then follow me."

Kali didn’t know why but she trusted him and started running along beside him. The two of them raced down one hall then another. Her heart was pounding in her chest so loud she was sure that Fitch would be able to follow them by just that. Draco suddenly darted into a classroom with her on his heels. His eyes darted around the room. Come on there has to be something to hide us. He thought. His eyes suddenly landed on the cabinet.

"Quick, in here!"

He threw open the door and got in pulling her in after him. He closed the door just in time. Not a moment after the door had closed Filtch entered the room. Kali held her breath as she heard Fitch move further into the room.

"Where are ya, you little hooligans?!"

With that he left the room and started looking down the hall elsewhere. Neither Draco nor Kali moved for fear that he might come back or that Norris was outside. Kali could feel his breath on the back of her neck. It sent a shiver down her back. Her back was up against his body and when he moved in the slightest she could feel it. His one arm was around her waist because there wasn’t much room in the small space. I kind of like this.she thought to herself. Her eyes widened. I did not just think that! Oh but you did. A voice in the back of her head said. Oh god I’m going insane. Someone kill me now.

"I think it’s safe." Draco whispered close to her ear.

It sent another shiver down her back. She took hold of the knob and opened the door slowly. Kali stepped out and looked around the room and, seeing no one, she heaved a sigh of relief. Draco stepped out and came to her side.

"That was fun."

She looked over at him. He had that stupid grin on his face.

"Ok I’m really confused here. Did you just save me from getting caught out of bed after hours?"

He smirked at her. "You can thank me any time now."

"Uh…ok, fine, thanks. But I’m still confused. Why did you help me?"

"You owe me now." His smirk grew wider. "I’ll let you know when you can pay me back."

Kali slapped her forehead. Prefect I’m in ferret boy’s debt now. I should have known that he wanted something. She thought miserably to herself. She started for the door but froze. She just remembered that Draco was a Prefect! This meant she owed him double for not taking points away or giving her detention and from saving her from Filtch. Draco seemed to notice that she remembered this.

"And don’t think you will get out of it because I can prove you were out after hours." He said.

"Someone please kill me now." She muttered as she walked out the door.

She got back to the common room without any more problems. When she got there though she remembered that in her rush to hide from Filtch she had dropped her broom. Thank goodness for the Accio spell. She didn’t tell the others what had happened but it kept at the front of her mind as she put Pegus Wind in its hiding place. What was Draco going to want from her as a payment for him helping her? She would just have to wait and see.