City of Delusion

Part Seventeen

“… This case is dismissed.”

At those words, the emotion I was felt was pure joy. I shot up out of my chair and hugged Patrick, who had spent the last few weeks reassuring me that everything was going to be okay. Three years had passed since the incident with Paul in Chicago, years that had been filled with healing and flip-flopping between being content and being afraid. One of Paul’s co-workers had posted bail for him after he was arrested, which made Patrick decide that we needed a change of scenery for a bit. We had relocated to San Diego for a while, since I still needed to be in California for all the court proceedings. Along the charges of domestic abuse, falsifying official documents and a divorce settlement, Paul was also charged with drug procession, being involved in a prostitution ring and misusing his position as a police officer.

“I’m so glad it’s over,” I gushed, not wanting to let go of Patrick. I looked straight ahead and saw Paul glaring daggers at me. His lawyer was silently packing up his things.

“You’ll pay for this, you whore!” he yelled as he was being escorted out. I gulped, my heart racing and body stiffening in response.

“Calm down,” Patrick rubbed my back, obviously having felt me tense up. “Everything’s going to be fine now.”

I nodded and let him lead me out of the courthouse. As we walked down the steps, I spotted John waiting at the bottom, Paul’s mother with him. I tried to steer Patrick away from them, but he kept heading in their direction. The last thing I wanted was to have to face Paul’s mother. For all I knew, she probably hated me now. Even if she didn’t think that Paul and I were a good match, surely she wasn’t happy with me now. I was the sole reason for the unraveling of her youngest son’s life.

“Joanna…” John trailed off as we approached him, Paul’s mother turning to face me as he did. I expected yelling and anger from her, not the warm hug I got instead. I opened my mouth to say something, but words had left me. She smiled warmly at Patrick and then looked back at me.

“I’m so glad you’re happy,” she confessed. “All I wanted was for everything to be okay, to go back to normal. Although this isn’t exactly what I wanted for Paul…” her eyes flickered up to the courthouse, her expression turning to one of sadness. “I’m hoping that he will be able to get the help he needs. He never has been the same since Nicole died.”

I nodded, unsure of what to say. She hugged me again and said her goodbyes, walking away to join her husband and her other sons. I watched her go, feeling slightly guilty for what had happened, only to have my thoughts interrupted by John clearing his throat.

“I’m glad everything’s going well for you,” he said, looking at Patrick, who nodded in a thank you. I smiled and hugged him.

“Thank you for helping me,” I replied. “Without you, we wouldn’t be here right now.”

The short silence that followed was soon interrupted by ringing. John dug out his phone and stared at the caller ID. “I should be going. I’ll see you next week with Eddie, okay?”

“See you next week,” I responded as he walked away. Patrick wrapped his arms around me protectively so soon as John left, “What do you want to do now?”

“I don’t know,” I answered, kissing his cheek. “What could we do?”

“Anything you want,” he promised. “I’d do anything for you.”

“Would you climb the highest mountain?” I questioned, referencing a line from one of our favorite shows.

“No…” he started slowly, a smile playing at his lips. “but I’d take off all my clothes for you. If that’s what you’re into.”

We both started laughing as we headed away, away from the brutal past and hurtful memories we had once longed to forget.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah... this is going to end soon.

I'm basically not happy with how this whole series turned out, but it is what it is.

Those lines are from Flight of the Conchords, if you didn't know. Great show. :D