Status: This story is incomplete at the moment but I am constantly working on it.

Life Chronicles: Genesis

Prologue

"How much further is it?" Daniel asked.

"Showing from the map, it's just up ahead. Now keep up. I don't want to risk missing anything." Joan said.

"I'm trying. All that rain made the ground all muddy. My feet keep getting stuck." Daniel said.

Joan scuffed. "Oh please, I'm wearing heels and doing just fine. Now stop you're bitchin' and come on."

Ahead was a collapsed wooden bridge, Joan stopped at the jagged edge. Daniel his eyes still looking through the lens of his camera nearly knocks Joan down into the shallow creek below. "Damn it Daniel, look where you're going!" Joan said.

"I'm sorry." Daniel said. "How we gonna get across?" he asked.

Joan looked around with her flashlight, she noticed a slope in the creek bed that led to the other side. "There." she pointed.
The muddy slope was very slippery nearly causing Joan to lose her heel while trying to get across the creek. Once they made it to the other side Joan glanced at her map, "It should be around here somewhere."

Searching the grounds Daniel could see what looked like a wall of vines. Getting a closer look, he found it wasn't just a wall it was an old building. Poking around the side of the building, Daniel found a loose board under some dead vines. Stepping inside the floorboards creaked beneath him, through his night vision lens he saw old beams and the smell of damp wood filled his nose. The old wooden floors made a sound with every step he took. He felt something brush past him swiftly, Daniel turned around, but through his lens he saw nothing.

Outside Joan hadn't noticed Daniel had gone off, she was too distracted following the map, finally coming to a small clearing, there were dead branches and grass entangled on the ground. Walking into the center of the clearing, Joan tripped as her foot fell through a hole in the ground. As she tried to sit up there was something around her ankle, brushing away the dirt it became clear it was a piece of rib bone that she had stepped into. Joan screamed in horror, as she wiggled her foot loose.

"Daniel!" she called out but there was no answer. Barefoot, she ran toward the last spot she saw him, calling out once more, "Daniel!"

Joan poked her head through the opening in the side of the building. "Daniel, you in here?"

She stepped carefully inside the old mill, the smell of wet soil and rotting wood invaded her noise. Looking around inside the mill was difficult even with her flashlight, it was pitch dark inside. Her eye caught a glimpse of a red blinking light to her left, she turned to see what it was. "Daniel? Seriously this isn't funny." As she slowly approached, the blinking light began to move upwards. "Daniel-"

"Smile for the camera." A voice spoke, which made Joans' heart drop to her stomach. She froze with fear, as it revealed itself in the light of her flashlight.