Status: Goal: One update a day. Help me keep the goal by keeping the comments coming ;)

I Promise

Chapter One

The sun shined brightly as Melinda’s mom was lowered into the recently dug up grave. Melinda held back tears, gently brushing her fingers against her pasty face. Only two other people attended, her father and his new wife. Alyssa was the typical young, hot step mother. Her black lace dress hit at the middle of her slim thighs. With an expert flick of her hand, Alyssa sent her long blond locks flying over her shoulder. “I think we’ve spent enough time here today. Let’s get home.” She turned on her way inappropriate high heels and strutted back to the car.

Jordan, Melinda’s father, placed a hand on his daughter’s shoulder. “Melinda, she would be so proud of you and how well you’re holding up.”

Melinda nodded, her eyes watering ever so slightly as a young man with brown hair shoved the first pile of dirt down on her beloved mother’s coffin. She didn’t want to leave, but she couldn’t afford to left her step mother see any weakness. She whispered as her father left her alone to say goodbye. “ Please help me, mom. I don’t know how to do this without you.” She inhaled sharply and then walked back to the shiny red car. Her own dress was a simple black dress that hit above her knees. It also happened to be the dress her mother loved the most on her.

Alyssa clicked her tongue as Melinda finally got in the car. “Could you take any longer?” Jordan glared at her from the passenger seat, placing a warning hand on her knee. She shook it off and stabbed the key in the ignition angrily. “Now I have to miss my date with my girlfriends for a woman I don’t even know. Geez, you are so selfish. It isn’t always about you.”

Melinda didn’t bother answering, she just arched an eyebrow at Alyssa. She wondered what her father possibly saw in the woman. Even at this moment, he was glowering at her for being so self-absorbed. She slouched down in her seat, her knees burrowed into the seat in front of her. It was going to be a long car ride to her new home. She slipped ear buds in, effectively cutting off the annoying noise that was her step mother.

After about an hour, the car had finally pulled up into what Melinda assumed was the new house. It was deep in the country, the closest neighbor was at the end of the five mile driveway. The house itself was gorgeous. Melinda’s mouth gaped in amazement, taking in the red bricks and huge picture windows. Alyssa started with her dumb eye rolling and huffing. “Okay you can stop gawking and help carry in your own bags, Mel.”

Jordan mouthed a ‘sorry’ and picked up one of Melinda’s duffel bags. “I hope you like it. The school systems are amazing around here. If Ivy League Schools see you graduated from Lily Mount High School, you are guaranteed to get in!” He pushed the door open with a foot and led her inside. She followed him up the long, wooden stairs. The second floor held five rooms, which apparently the whole second floor was hers. It had a kitchenette, a small living room, and a master bedroom included with a bathroom.

Melinda sat her stuff on the red queen bed, taking in her new surroundings. Her father smiled from the doorway. “I want you to be comfortable. I know Alyssa is really hard to deal with but promise to do it for me.”

Melinda opened her mouth to say ‘absolutely not’ but she didn’t. She knew her father was having a hard time just like she was. He just had to stay strong for her, so she would do the same for him. She plastered a happy smile to her face. “Of course, dad. I promise.”
Jordan walked over to the bed and gently kissed his daughter’s forehead. “That’s my girl.” He enveloped her into a huge hug. “Have I ever mentioned you look exactly like Chrissy?”

That made a true smile appear on Melinda’s face. “Thank you, dad. If I could be half the woman mom was, then I’ll be in good shape.” Jordan have her one more quick squeeze and then let go. Leaving her with her own thoughts and fears.

Melinda felt the tears pooling at the corners of her dark green eyes. She could see her reflections in the vanity directly in front of her bed. The girl she saw was obviously sad. Her brown curls brushed the tops of her shoulders. Her eyes looked sunken, her nose was a bright red. She touched her cheek and then brushed the tears away. She couldn’t do this. She had to be happy. Everything would fall apart if she showed sadness.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is obviously for a contest... I have to have ten chapters completed by Nov. 10th. So someone help a girl out and give her some feedback!

---butterflywings16