Status: Complete - February 22, 2018

Haunting Grey

Twenty-One

My eyes crack open, and all I see is a dreary gray sky above me. I'm on my back, and as I reach around me, to feel for something—anything—that will tell me where I am, my hand brushes something stiff.

A leaf.

"The woods," I whisper, my voice hoarse.

Natalie.

I try to sit up, but when I do, my head explodes with pain. The trees spin, and I hear footsteps, and voices—a lot of them—calling my name.

"Travis! Where are you?"

"Say something, son. Let us know you're safe."

Somewhere, a dog barks.

Then someone lets out a cry, and hands are on me. They lift me toward the sky. My body is so weak and my head hurts so much that I want to close my eyes and sleep.

Before I do, I see something beyond the trees. Not something. Someone—staring at me with large, worried eyes and messy hair and blood on her face.

Then the world is gone.


"She was with me," I tell my dad. "In the woods, when you found me. Natalie was there."

"She's always with you," he says, grabbing my hand. "You were her best friend. Do you think she can move on without knowing you're okay?"

I start to tell him that I don't want her to move on, that I want her to stay with me, always. But I don't get the chance. Because the doctor comes in with news that I can go home. My dad smiles, clearly relieved.

"You're going home," he echoes, looking at me. "Isn't that great?"

I nod, even though I know there is no home without Natalie.