Ebb & Flow

TWO

Sally smiled at the passengers as they slowly exited the ship. It was a bittersweet moment. While she was glad the cruise had come to an end, she was also sad. The next cruise wasn’t for another month. Even though the passengers could be trying and some of the crew members were arrogant pricks, she loved being out at sea.

As the last passenger exited, she let out a large sigh of relief. Her ridged smile dropped to a more casual smile. She leaned against the rail by the gate like some of the other crew members waiting for the captain. Before they could depart the ship, this captain requested that all crew members depart at the same time. Sally was just glad she wasn’t one of the staff members that waited on the passengers and cleaned the ship after each voyage. They were going to be there for quite some time.

“Why so glum?” Tony leaned next to her with a bag over his shoulder and a pull along suitcase by his feet. His uniform was crisp and his shoes shined like the first day they came aboard the ship.

“You know…” Sally mimicked what rolling waves looked like with her hands. At Tony’s blank stare Sally continued, “the motion.” Still Tony gave no response, except confusion. “Dear lord. I will miss the feel of being at sea.”

“OH!” Tony’s eyes lit up in understanding. “What a lame reason. Here’s a real reason. I’m going to miss all the ladies.” He turned to look at the milling passengers. More than one woman waved in his direction, giving their best sultry smile possible. Tony smiled in bliss.

“Really Tony?” The disbelief in her voiced was tangible. It still amazed her that she was friends with such a slime ball. Sally was just glad that Tony no longer tried to get her in bed like at the beginning of their friendship. It could’ve been worse. Sally glanced at David, another crew member that tried to befriend her for her body than her personality. “How many this time?”

Tony’s eyebrow wiggled in a coy manner. Slowly he counted his fingers, pausing at ten. He squinted his eyes in concentration and counted the rest in his head. Finally he just shrugged. “I don’t know maybe twelve or fifteen.” Sally’s eyes grew wide.

“How? We were only at sea for a week! How did you even find the time? Captain Morrow was running us raw.” Then her thoughts took a darker turn. “Please tell me you used condoms.”

“You may think I’m stupid, but I’m not that stupid.” He gave her an exasperated look. “Of course I used condoms. You don’t know what these ladies do in their spare time. Plus if it will make you feel better, after every trip I go and get tested. I’m not sleazy enough to ignore the consequences of having so many partners.” He was about to continue on his rant, but Sally nudged him when she saw Captain Morrow heading towards the gate.

“It looks like another successful trip. Hope to see you all for the next cruise; you’ve been an outstanding crew.” With a wave he swept of the ship, quickly followed by the crew.

Sally pulled Tony by the hand as they squeezed into the line. They got a few grumbles, but nobody caused any trouble.

“What are you going to do until the next cruise?” Tony asked as they made their way to the rental cars. Sally didn’t lazy about as Tony did. She had to be going or she was going to miss her flight. She put her language into the car and got in and rolled her window down.

“I am going to head home. Spend some time with the folks. I’ve missed them.” Sally commented, reminiscing about all the good times with her family. Most of all she missed her small rental on the cliff side.

“Do you miss them or the sea?” Tony teased. She just rolled her eyes and situated herself in the car seat.

“What about you?” Sally asked buckling her seat belt.

“You know… go out with the boys, get a few ladies around town then head home just like you.” Tony’s eyes held a promise of pleasure.

“Doesn’t it ever get tiring?”

“Doesn’t the sea?” Tony shot back.

“No.” They both said at the same time. They shared a smile and said their goodbyes. With a quick window hug and a promise to see each other soon, Sally headed for the airport. She popped in one of her CD’s and listened to the artificial sounds of the sea played back at her. For a moment she thought she heard a voice, but knew better. The CD only had ambient sounds.

”And daughter of the seas.”