A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 17

Zack's POV

"You ready?" I called upstairs to Elizabeth. She'd been up there, forever, getting ready.

Matt and Monique were throwing a party, a bon voyage of sorts as we were leaving for our honeymoon tomorrow and god I couldn't wait, wait to have Elizabeth all to myself.

"Yes." She cried running down the stairs. "This party is stupid."

God she looked so damn beautiful.

"Why, they're being nice." I told her grabbing my jacket.

"We're going for 10 days Zack." She mumbled. "Not forever."

"So it's an excuse to have a party." And they were always looking for an excuse to throw a party.

I opened the door and Elizabeth started walking out, then she stopped.

"I can't go." She told me, looking at me.

"What, the party?" But I knew exactly what she was talking about.

"No Zack, the honeymoon, I can't go." She said quickly.

I knew this was coming, I'd been waiting for it. "Why?" But I knew the answer.

"You know why." She said softly.

"How do you think Charlotte would feel knowing you missed your honeymoon for her?" I asked and I knew Charlotte would be heart broken.

"Zack she needs me."
"Why, why does she need you, she has friends." I pointed out.

"She has her specialist appointment." She argued.

I was doing my best not to get angry. I knew this was a big deal, but still it was our honeymoon.

"So, whatever he tells her there isn't going to change while we're away. It's ten days Elizabeth." I was trying not to get pissed but I was failing and I knew it.

"Zack don't you dare do this." She cried, looking at me.

"Do what Elizabeth?" I asked her, trying not to sound snappy.

"Don't make me choose between you."

"I'm not, but what about when we go on tour, are you going to stay with Charlotte?" I asked her and sadly I think she would, she would choose Charlotte over me.

"I'll worry about that then, I mean it depends, she might need my bone marrow again." I could see she was getting upset and I needed to settle her down.

I pulled her into my arm's, kissing her softly. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves baby." And she was, her mind was automatically assuming the worst.

"I know Zack." She whispered. "I just don't want to see her go through it again."

"Come on, let's go." I said softly, taking her hand.

We drove in silence to Matt and Moniques, holding hands. When we arrived as usual the backyard was full of guests.

"Hey." Matt called, walking over. "Excited?"

"Is Charlotte here?" Elizabeth asked, forgoing the niceties.

"Not yet." Matt said, raising his eyebrows at me.

Elizabeth glanced at him and walked off.

"She doesn't want to go." I told him.

"Charlotte?" He asked.
I nodded. It was pretty obvious.

"Look I don't know the whole story Zack, but I will look after Charlotte while you're gone." Matt told me.

"Matt, what are you doing?" I asked him frowning, I mean the man was engaged.

"Nothing, looking out for her that's all." He looked at his feet frowning.

I looked over his shoulder, Charlotte had arrived. She was smiling, but she looked tired, worn, almost defeated. She had on a dress, it was ankle length, with a jacket over the top, despite the warmish night.

"Well here she is." I told him.

As he turned around to look, I caught a glimpse of his face.

Looking out for her my ass. If Elizabeth saw the way he was looking at her she was not going to be happy.