A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 24

Charlottes POV

I made it through the first night, I'd cried myself to sleep, but here I was, Wednesday, still alive.

Day 1 of treatment.

I layed there looking at the ceiling, I had to get up, I needed to eat then give myself the injections. I wasn't looking forward to it, I knew it would make me feel sick. God, I didn't want to be sick, waste my time being sick.

I got up and had a shower, then went into the kitchen and had some breakfast. I got the two injections out of the fridge and looked at them. One to kill the leukemia, one to stop me from being sick. Neither ever worked the first time, I doubted they would this time.

I picked up the first one and injected myself. Ha it was like riding a bike, you never forgot how to do it. I picked up the other one. I'd taken a week off work because I knew I was going to be sick, the nausea was horrible, but hopefully it will settle down, it did last time. I did the second injection then I went into the living room, grabbing pillows and blankets, making myself comfortable. I had nothing to do but feel sorry for myself anyway.

I layed there, an hour turned into two and I still didn't feel sick. Maybe my body was going to react differently this time, maybe it wasn't going to be as bad. I could only hope.

The door interrupted my thoughts. I got up and answered it, revealing Matt.

"Morning." He said smiling.

I smiled back at him, letting him in.

I got comfortable on the couch again, Matt sat next to me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked me softly.

"Better than I thought I would."

"Good. Heard from Elizabeth?"
"Not yet." It wasn't a call I was looking forward to. I knew Elizabeth was going to flip her shit and I didn't want to ruin her honeymoon.

Matt got comfortable, taking off his shoes and I layed there, I couldn't help but look at his legs, he had really nice legs.

Fuck, what was I thinking? I needed to stop.

"You don't have to hang around Matt, I'm okay." But even as I said it, I broke out in a sweat.

"It's fine Charlotte, honestly." He said smiling at me.

I sat up and as I did my stomach did a somersault.

"Oh god." I groaned, getting up and running into the bathroom.

I made it to the toilet and I started. It was just like I remembered, nothing ever came up, just retching, and it would go on until I was exhausted. I sat there, retching, groaning, retching, groaning.

"You okay?" Matt asked softly, walking in.
I shook my head, no I wasn't and I would prefer he not be here, witnessing my retching.

"Okay." He murmured.

I watched as he sat on the floor next to me, reaching out and stroking the hair off my forehead. It felt nice, comforting.

I don't know how long I was there for, Matt was beside me the whole time, but finally it subsided. I collapsed down onto the bathroom floor and Matt got up, grabbing a wet washcloth then sitting down and handing it to me.

It felt so nice and cold and I layed it on my face, covering it, why, because I was crying again and I didn't want Matt to see it.

"Hey." He whispered, peeling the washer off.

He was so close, and oh god, I probably smelled like puke, he however smelt delicious.

My stomach somersaulted again. I quickly sat up. False alarm.

"Come on." Matt said, helping me to my feet and guiding me upstairs to my bedroom.

He pulled back the covers. "Try and sleep Charlotte."

I nodded, climbing in, sleep would be best. "Thankyou again Matt, for everything you've done."

I expected him to leave but instead he layed down in the bed beside me.

"Please don't thank me again." He murmured, pulling me into his arms.

I closed my eye's, my head against his chest. This was what I wanted. It had been so long since someone had shown me affection, let alone been in my bed and it just felt so nice, it really did.

But this was Matt. My sisters friend Matt. The most beautiful man I'd ever seen in my life Matt.

He kissed my forehead, and my stomach somersaulted again, only this time it was butterflies.

Engaged Matt.