A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 25

Matt's POV

I looked at her sleeping. She looked so peaceful. You never would have guessed that her body was fighting a war with itself, well you wouldn't guess until you saw her bruises. They weren't so bad, they were just there, bruises from life I'd guess, things that didn't bruise normal people. Normal life things that left horrible bruises on her skin.

I ran my hand gently down her arm, her skin was so soft, so beautiful, even the bruises.

I let myself study her face. It was perfect and while she slept it was relaxed. Her lashes were resting on her cheeks. Her nose was perfect. All of her was perfect. I looked at her lips, they were slightly parted, she was breathing evenly in her sleep, sleeping deeply.

Don't do it, a voice whispered in my head as I looked at her lips, but it was too late. I leant over gently and I brushed my lips across hers. She didn't move, but something in me moved and I closed my eye's.

What was I doing? I was engaged to marry someone I thought was my soul mate, someone I thought I would love for the rest of my life, but now, now I didn't know. Now I was questioning myself, questioning everything.

I'd known Charlotte as long as I'd known Monique, so why now, why was I drawn to Charlotte now?

Was I willing to give up my relationship with Monique for this, for a moment with Charlotte, a girl who only saw me as a brother figure, a girl who might die.

I felt my chest tighten at that thought. She really might die and that thought hurt, a lot. She couldn't die, I wouldn't let her. I tightened my arms around her, pulling her closer, into my chest, feeling her body against mine.

Fuck me, what a mess. If Elizabeth knew any of this she'd fucking kill me. Hell Holly had said she was going to bust my balls. What the fuck was I actually doing?

I sat up, not disturbing Charlotte and I grabbed my phone looking at it. Missed calls from Monique. Of course there were missed calls from Monique, she was my fiancé after all.

I went into the living room, calling her back, closing my eye's, pushing Charlotte from my mind.

"Matt." She answered virtually straight away.

"Hey." I said softly.
"Where are you?" She asked cautiously.

"Charlottes."

"Oh." She went quiet.

I closed my eye's, telling myself I'd created such a fucking mess, because it was true, I had. Was I willing to mess up my life?

"Are you sleeping with her Matt?" She blurted suddenly.

"What, no, no I'm not." I told her quickly, groaning.

"Okay." She said softly. "Are you coming home?"

"I'll be there soon." I told her and I would, I needed to go home.

She hung up and I walked into the kitchen, grabbing a pen and paper. I'd write Charlotte a note, I really had to get out of here.

Charlotte,
I hope you feel better. Sorry I had to leave.
I'll try and catch up with you on the weekend.
Matt

I closed my eye's. It sounded horrible, impersonal. This stupid note was so impersonal when what I wanted to write to her was so much more, I wanted to tell her everything.

I didn't want to leave now, leave Charlotte, I didn't want to leave at all, but I had to. I needed to sort my head out, but more importantly I needed to sort my heart out.

I wanted to make sure what I was feeling for Charlotte was real. For Moniques sake, for my sake but more importantly Charlottes sake. I needed to make sure.

I got in my car and drove away, making it to the intersection and the end of her street, before pulling over and leaning back, closing my eyes.

I missed her. I missed Charlotte already.