A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 26

Holly's POV

"We going for breakfast?" Brian called from the bed.

Typical Brian, always thinking of his stomach.

"Yeah." We normally went every Saturday morning. "I might see if Charlotte wants to come." I hadn't seen her for a while and I wanted to catch up.

"Good idea, I'll shower." He called back.

I grabbed my phone, calling Charlotte, waiting, listening to it ring on her end.

Hi this is Charlotte, you know what to do.

I looked at the phone, it wasn't like her not to answer, she hadn't aswered last night when I'd tried to call nor had she returned my call and that wasn't like Charlotte. I knew she was off work sick, so I hoped she was okay.

"Bri." I said walking in to the bathroom. "I'm just going over to Charlottes quickly, she's not answering and I'm a little worried." I was more than a little worried but I wasn't telling him that.

"That's fair babe." He murmured. We both knew something was going on, we just didn't know what.

I kissed him quickly and headed out to my car, heading straight to her place. When I arrived at Charlottes, I noticed her car was here, so she was obviously home.

I knocked on her door and waited. There was no answer so I knocked again and waited. No answer. Surely she'd be up by now?

Now I was worried because I knew she was home. I turned around and I emptied my purse out onto the porch. Charlotte had given me a key ages ago so I knew it had to be here in this mess somewhere.

Finally I found it, shoving all my shit back in purse and finally I opened the door.

"Charlotte." I called out, but there was no reply.

The living area was empty.

I headed over to her closed bedroom door and opened it softly, looking in, I could see her in bed, sleeping
.
"Charlotte." I called in a sing song voice.

She didn't move at all. I frowned, going over to her.

"Charlotte." I snapped, shaking her roughly.

She looked horrible and panic ran through my body as I realised she was unconscious, she just wasn't responding.

I grabbed her phone next to the bed and called 911 immediately. They asked me a million questions that I couldn't answer but thank god they were on their way.

I wasn't sure what to do so I sat on the bed, keeping an eye on Charlotte, rubbing her arm gently.

"Charlotte." I said shaking her again, trying once again to wake her.

Suddenly she opened her eye's, but she was looking at the window, like she was trying to focus.

"Charlotte." I said softly.

Her eyes moved to me. "Holly?" She croaked, her lips cracked and dry.

"It's okay, the ambulance is coming." I whispered, smiling.

She shook her head. "I'm okay." But clearly she wasn't.

"Charlotte, you're not." I heard the ambulance pull up. "And besides they're already here."

I got up and let them in, ignoring Charlotte's protests.

"What's happening?" One of them asked me.

"My friend, she's been unwell and I had trouble waking her."

They followed me into her bedroom. "Hi young lady." He said, approaching Charlotte. "What's going on?"

"Nothing, I'm fine, honestly." She was such a good liar.

"Hmmm." He started examining her. "Wanna tell me what's going on?"

"I started my treatment this week, that's all." She told them quietly.

"You're dehydrated, we'll take you in, get some fluids into you."

She nodded and sat up and I watched them as they helped her onto the gurney.

"So what are you being treated for?" He asked as they started taking her out of the room.

What she said next made my blood run cold and my heart sink. How could I not know?

"Leukemia." She said softly.

Charlotte had leukemia? This was my best friend, how did I not know? Why didn't anyone tell me?

I blinked back tears, following them out.

Was my best friend dying?