A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 30

Matt's POV

I'd never gotten somewhere so fast in my life and as I looked for Charlottes room, I was still shaking. God what was wrong with her?

I burst into her room and everybody looked up at me, Charlotte as usual had a huge smile for me and it melted my heart, she looked beautiful, even though she wasn't well.

She looked pale, tiny in the bed, but beautiful, so fucking beautiful. God she really was beautiful.

Holly looked like she was going to rip my throat out, glaring at me, I wasn't sure why, maybe she could see the way I was looking at Charlotte, but luckily they didn't stay long and left, Holly still glaring at me.

I encouraged Charlotte to get some sleep, she just looked exhausted and while she did that I pulled a chair over, holding her hand.

I looked at her hands, so delicate and soft, tiny in mine, but the perfect fit, it felt like it belonged in mine. I traced my finger softly over her hand and up her arm, she was sound asleep so I took the opportunity to study her face, she still looked tired, dark circles under her eye's,but better than she did twenty minutes ago.

I couldn't help myself, I took her face in my hands and kissed her forehead softly, then her nose, still she slept. I layed my forehead against hers and closed my eye's, I could stay here forever, just touching her, it felt so right to me.

I just stayed there, my forehead against hers, not moving for who knew how long, until I heard the door open.

"Matt." Elizabeth said softly.

I looked at her, waiting for it, waiting for the abuse that I knew was coming, but instead she smiled, walking over to the bed.

"How is she?" She asked me softly.

"She already looks better Elizabeth, so much better." I told her, looking back at Charlotte.
"Do you want to get a coffee?" She asked me.

I looked at Charlottes hand. I didn't really want to leave her.

"Matt." She said softly. "She's fine, she's sleeping."

"I know."

"Come on, I know Charlotte, she'll sleep for hours." She told me, laughing softly.

I nodded, standing up. I leant over and kissed her forehead again, then turned, following Elizabeth out.

We went to the cafeteria and Elizabeth got two coffees, then we found a seat and I shifted, waiting for Elizabeth to lecture me.

"You look tired Matt." Elizabeth told me, taking a mouthful of coffee.

I nodded. "Yeah." And I was, I was exhausted.

"What's going on?" She asked me straight up.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, pretending I had no clue what she meant.

"Matt, I see the way you look at her."

I looked down at my coffee. "I'm sorry Elizabeth, I really am, but there's just something about her, I tried, I really did." And I had tried to get hoe out of my mind.

"It's okay Matt, honestly." She said quietly.

I looked at her and shrugged. "I have to tell Monique, but tell her what Elizabeth, that I'm in love with a girl who barely knows I exist?"

"It's going to be hard Matt." Elizabeth added.

"And I have no idea if my love will ever be reciprocated but I'd only be lying to Monique and myself." I told her, and that was the truth, I didn't want to be in a relationship with someone when I had feelings for someone else.

"I wanted to come home and yell at you Matt I really did, but when I saw you sitting there with her, I just couldn't."

"I tried to stay away Elizabeth, and look where we ended up." Here at this hospital.

She reached out and took my hand. "It's okay Matt, Charlottes stubborn, she wouldn't have asked for help anyway."

"I just have to be near her." I whispered and I did.

She smiled at me. "I guess you have a job ahead of you, trying to get Charlotte to notice you."

I nodded. "Yeah, not as a brother either."

"She's not stupid Matt, she'll notice." Elizabeth told me smiling.

"I just....." I mumbled.

"I know." She whispered.

"Even if she doesn't feel the same, I can't be with anyone else." I told her, softly and that was the cold hard truth.

"I completely understand that."

"Please don't tell anyone, including Charlotte." I asked her. "Not until I work everything out."

"I won't, it's okay." She promised.

"Good."

We finished our coffees then headed back to the room. As Elizabeth said, she was still sleeping and I sat down, taking her hand again.

"Are you going to talk to Monique?" Elizabeth asked me softly.

"When I know Charlottes okay." Then I would talk to her, tell her it's over.

Elizabeth put her hand on my shoulder and kissed the top of my head. "I couldn't think of anyone better I'd want for my sister."

I smiled, that meant alot, now all I had to do was make Charlotte love me.