A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 31

Elizabeths POV

I was so fucking angry. I was angry all the way home. I was angry when we went home. I was angry while I showered and changed. I was angry while I drove to the hospital. I was angry right up to when I opened the door and saw him.

He had his face pressed gently to hers, just seeing it took my breath away, to see Matt, big Matt, Matt the leader, so vulnerable. I'd felt like I'd intruded, I'd walked in on Matt in a weak moment, looking over my sister, and the sweetest thing, he didn't care that I'd seen him.

How could I be angry at him now?

We had coffee, we talked. I didn't know if things with Charlotte would work out, Charlotte was a closed book and I really didn't know what she was thinking but I could see Matt was prepared to do anything for her and honestly, that's all I ever wanted for her, a man who adored her, I just didn't ever think it would be Matt.

We went back to the room and sat quietly. Me against the wall, Matt next to the bed, stroking her face, holding her hand, constantly touching her. It really was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen.

Typical Charlotte, she woke up with a smile on her face, and I saw Matt back off immediately.

"Elizabeth." She said smiling widely at the both of us.

I went over and hugged her, tightly, glad she was awake.

"Matt you're still here."

"Of course." He told her, smiling, but his eye's spoke volumes.

"And you didn't have to come home Elizabeth, I'm fine." She lightly scolded me.

"Yeah well I wanted to make sure." I said and I did.

"I'll be going home tomorrow."

"So. I wanted to be here." I had to be here.

Matt stood up. "I've gotta go and take care of some stuff." He said suddenly. "But I'll be back."

I nodded. Good. He needed to tell Monique and I hoped that's what he was going to do.

"Oh, well thanks for visiting." Charlotte told him.

"I'll be back Charlotte." He told her, then much to my surprise and Charlottes, he leant over and kissed her forehead softly.

I watched her, watch him leave, trying to read her face, but I got nothing, absolutely nothing.

"It's nice of Matt to do this." I said, pushing the subject a little.

"He's so sweet." She said, I thought I detected something in her tone but she quickly changed the subject. "Soooo, how was Hawaii?"

I went onto to tell her all about our honeymoon and how fabulous it was, even if it was cut short.

"Elizabeth." Charlotte said quietly, she was eating her dinner.

"Yesss?" I asked, looking up from the magazine I was flicking through.

"I want to make a list." She said softly.

"What, a list of what?" I asked her, confused.

She put her fork down and looked at me. "Things I want to do before I die."

I felt my chest tighten and I wanted to cry. "Really?" Before she died?

"Really, can you help?" She said nodding.

I got up and hugged her. "Of course I'll help and hopefully by the time you die an old lady, you will have done everything." Because she was going to die an old lady, I'd make sure of that.

She put her arms around me and hugged me, hard. "I hope so too."

I couldn't help it, I started crying. I just couldn't imagine my life without Charlotte, and I really didn't want to. The thought of her dying ripped my heart out.

"We'll beat this." I whispered.

I felt her nod against my chest while she hugged me back.

Suddenly there was a light tap on the door and Matt entered, the smile dropping from his face.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, looking concerned. He'd obviously seen my tears.

"Charlotte wants to make a list of things she wants to do before she dies." I told him, trying to sound light.

I saw pain flash in his eyes. "I'll help." He murmured.

"You will?" Charlotte asked, smiling at him.

"Yes, which leads me to my next question." He said.

"And what is that Matt?" She asked him, looking.

"Uh, I need a place to stay for a few days and I was kind of hoping you...." His voice trailed off.

She cut him off. "Of course you can stay at my place."

I stood back, watching them. Charlotte was completely unaware of his feelings but there was definitely something there, I could feel it.

I smiled, I just wanted my baby sister happy.