A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 37

Elizabeths POV

I pulled up out the front of Charlottes. Both cars were there, so I knew her and Matt were home. Behaving I hoped.

Charlotte had an appointment with her Oncologist tomorrow and I wanted to get everything organised with her, arrange times and such.

I knocked on the door and waited. Matt opened it and honestly, he looked like shit. He stood there looking at me in a pair of sweatpants, no shirt and hair everywhere a pathetic look on his face.

"Ah, is everything okay?" I asked him walking in.

He shrugged, just looking at me.

"Where's Charlotte?" I asked him, raising my eyebrow's at his appearance.

"Upstairs, she won't come out of her room." He muttered, scratching his head.

"Why?" I asked him, putting my bag down and glaring at him.

"Fuck. I don't know." He told me, throwing himself onto the couch.

"I see."

"We went out last night, everything was fine, I woke up this morning and she won't even speak to me." He mumbled.

Why wouldn't she speak to him? That was so unlike Charlotte.

"What did you do?" I asked him, I mean obviously he'd done something.

"Nothing." He said quickly, a little to quickly for my liking.

"Hmmm, we'll see." I said heading upstairs.

I got to Charlottes door and knocked lightly. "Char, it's me."

"Okay." She said quietly.

I opened the door, she was laying in bed, pyjamas on, hair everywhere, she looked a mess too.

"What's going on?" I asked her, sitting on the bed.

"Nothing, why?" She mumbled quickly.

"Well you're in here miserable, Matt's downstairs miserable. Somethings up." It was blatantly obvious.

"It doesn't matter."

"It does to me Charlotte." And it did matter to me, a whole lot.

"Ugh fine." She said rolling over to look at me. "We went out last night."

"Okay." I could tell she'd been crying. "Where did you go?"

"On a picnic." She said closing her eyes.

"That sounds nice." A picnic was nice so what was the big deal?

"No Elizabeth, no it wasn't nice. Don't you get it?" She cried.

"Get what, you and Matt went on a picnic." What wasn't I getting?

"The list. The stupid fucking list." She whispered, a tear running down her cheek.

"Oh Charlotte, honey." I said hugging her. "What about the list?" I hated seeing her upset.

"A moonlight picnic." She sniffled.

Of course, that had been on her list, though I wasn't sure what she was upset about, it sounded nice. "Yes." I said.

"And the other part." She cried.

The other part, I racked my brain, thinking about the other part.

JESUS CHRIST.

"Now hang on Charlotte are you telling me...." I snapped, angry.

She cut me off. "He must have read the list."

"Did he fucking touch you?" That asshole. I was going to kill him.

"I must be some charity case, community service." She cried.

"That prick. What did he do?" But I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer.

"We slept together." She sighed. "I feel so horrible, he read the list."

She started crying and I hugged her, thinking. That prick had touched my sister, with his dick, fuck, what was he trying to prove? Then I thought about Matt, he looked just as miserable as Charlotte, maybe she had the wrong idea, maybe I did too.

"Charlotte, you should know, Matt is downstairs and he looks miserable." I told her. "Maybe you're reading too much into this."

"He is?" She asked, sitting up and looking at me.

"He is." I told her, attempting not to look as pissed off as I felt.

She wiped her face, looking at me.

"You have your appointment tomorrow." I gently reminded her.

"I know."

"I'll pick you up at 9. Blood tests first."

"I know." She said again.

I hugged her again. "It'll be fine Charlotte, now I have a lunch date with my husband." And I did, although I felt bad leaving her like this.

She kissed my cheek and I left, closing the door behind me. I walked down the stairs and Matt sat up, looking at me.

"So?" He asked.

"So." I said, moving quickly and sitting beside him. "You touched my sister."

"Now wait.." He muttered.

I cut him off. "She thinks you read her list and you're only trying to fulfill it, or as she put it, community service for the poor dying girl."

His face gave me the answer I needed. "I'm guessing she's mistaken so maybe you want to tell her that Matthew." I stood up. "She has appointments tomorrow, I assume you're coming?" He nodded. "I'll see you at 9."

I opened the door and looked back at him. "Oh and keep that." I said pointing at his crotch. "Away from my sister."

He sat there, nodding, looking at me with wide eye's.

I slammed the door, laughing as I walked to my car. His face was priceless, but the dumb shit was so clearly in love it made me sick.