A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 41

Elizabeths POV

I was worried, I was trying not to worry, but I was worried, I couldn't help it and I was doing my best not show it.

I was also happy, well because Charlotte looked so happy, Matt made her happy. That was pretty obvious, just the way she looked at him.

I watched them from the corner of my eye as we sat in the waiting room, he had his arm around her, she had her hand on his leg and he was talking quietly to her. Charlotte looked happy, actually I'd never seen her look so happy and I felt good about it. If Charlotte was happy, I was happy.

"Charlotte." The nurse called and I felt my heart jump into my throat.

The three of us stood up, following her through the door to the doctors room. We sat down, Matt once again putting his arm around her, and waited for the doctor.

"Good morning." He said walking in and sitting down. "Charlotte how are you?"

"Good." She told him and she was lying.

"Elizabeth, Matt." He said, smiling at us.

He could smile all he wanted, but I saw his eyes, his eyes gave him away, the news wasn't good.

"So Charlotte, how are you feeling?" He asked her.

"Okay I guess, I mean I'm a little tired, but other than that good." She said quietly.

"Hmm, well." He said, shuffling some papers. "Your results aren't very good." And I wish he would stop shuffling those fucking papers.

I knew that. It was obvious to see Charlotte was getting worse.

"Your blood count is lower Charlotte, it's getting very low." He told her softly.

I heard Charlotte shift in her seat. He was telling her something she did not want to know.

"Your current treatment is clearly not working." He told her, looking up at all three of us.

"I think it is." Charlotte said softly.

Why was she lying?

"No Charlotte, your tests reflect that. I think we need to move on to Chemotherapy."

"No." Charlotte cried.

I rubbed my hand over my face, I knew how much Charlotte hated chemo. She wouldn't do it, there was no way in hell she would.

"It's okay." Matt told her softly.

"What other option do we have?" The doctor asked her and he had a point.

"Let me go another week, if my count doesn't improve by then I'll discuss my other options." Charlotte told him quickly.

I noticed she didn't mention chemo.

"Fine but just know Charlotte your going to start getting sick. Your immune system is so low that it can't fight anything off."

"I understand that." She said softly. "Just let me try."

"Okay." He said sighing. "One week Charlotte and one week only."

I was torn, I knew how much Charlotte hated the chemo, but if there was a chance it would help her, I didn't like the idea of her staying on her current treatment for another week, it was just too dangerous.

"Thankyou." She said. "It will work, I know it."

"Now go home, rest, try not to expose yourself to anything." The Doctor said, standing up.

We stood up and Matt shook his hand, before we walked out.

"Well." I said quietly.
"Don't you start." Charlotte snapped, storming out of the office.

I looked at Matt. "She needs to do it."

"I know." He said following her out.

I walked to the car. Matt and Charlotte were standing there, he had his arms around her, talking quietly to her.

"I won't do it." She cried at me, tears on her cheeks. "I won't go through that again Elizabeth, I'd rather be dead."

"Okay, fine." I said trying to calm her down. "Let's just go home and wait and see what happens next week."

She wiped her face nodding and I unlocked the car.

I hated when Charlotte said things like that, that she'd rather be dead,I'd prefer if she didn't die and judging by Matt's face he didn't like it when she said it either.

I needed to have a word with him, if anybody could convince Charlotte it would be Matt.

They adored eachother. Anybody could see that.