A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 42

Matt's POV

Elizabeth pulled up at the front of the house and Charlotte got out, not saying anything, stomping up the path to the front door.

"Matt." Elizabeth said, turning around. "You need to talk to her."

I nodded, I did. "I'll try." I told her, watching Charlotte.

"I mean it Matt, you need to convince her." She was getting upset, but we were all upset. "She's going to get sick Matt, really sick and I won't sit back and watch her die."

"Do you think I want that?" I asked her. "Seriously?"

"I won't lose my sister." She cried.

"Elizabeth, god, I don't want to lose her." I told her and I didn't, not now I'd found her.

"Well talk to her, please." She begged me softly.

"I will." I told her, opening the door.

"Okay." She said softly. "I'll call later."

I nodded and stood there, watching her drive off, then I headed inside, taking a deep breath.

I looked around quickly, but Charlotte wasn't downstairs, so I headed upstairs and opened her door, peeking in.

She was laying on the bed, staring out the window.

"Don't." She said flatly.

"Charlotte." I said softly.

"I don't want to hear it." She snapped at me.

I walked over to the bed and sat on the edge, next to her.

"You need to think about this." I said softly and I really wished she would, for me, for us.

"No I don't." She told me. "It's my life."

I rubbed my hand over my face. "Yes, it is your life, but I'm a part of it." And I was a part of it now.

"Well there's the door Matthew, feel free to use it." She snapped.

"Jesus Charlotte." I snapped back.

"No." She cried, looking at me. "You have no idea, none."

"Then tell me." I asked her softly, I wanted to know, I really did.

"Do you know what it's like to throw up?" She asked me, looking at me with wide eye's.

I nodded, of course I knew.

"Well, do you know what it's like to throw up for hours, to do it even when there's nothing left, to want to sleep but you can't, because you can't stop throwing up."

"No." And I didn't know what that felt like.

"Well I do." She cried. "And do you know what it's like to look in the mirror and see someone you don't recognize looking back at you?"

I reached out and pulled her into my arms. "I don't." I murmured.

"Well I do." She sobbed.

"Charlotte." I whispered. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For being selfish." I murmured, kissing her face. "I don't want to lose you, I'm thinking about me, not you."

"I just don't want to do it again." She whispered.

"I understand." I murmured. "But Charlotte, I want you to know, that whatever happens, I'll be by your side, I won't leave it." And I wouldn't, no matter what.

"You won't?" She asked looking up at me.

I looked at her, brushing some hair off her face, I'd do anything for her, absolutely anything.

"No, never." I whispered, kissing her softly. "I'll never leave you. If you get sick, I'll be sitting next to you, I'll love you no matter what you look like."

I stopped talking suddenly. I'd used the L word.

"You will?" She whispered, looking up at me.

Fuck. Yes I would. I had somehow fallen in love with her.

"I will." I murmured.

She closed her eyes and I layed down beside her, holding her tightly.

"I don't want to die Matt." She whispered. "Not now, not now I have you."

I held her, closing my eyes, this girl was changing my life, every second I was with her, she was changing my life and it was for the better.

"Matt." She whispered, a little while later, turning over and looking at me.

"Yes?" I murmured, kissing her nose.

"I'll do it if I have to, the chemo, only if I have to."

"Okay." I whispered, closing my eyes, relieved.

I wasn't losing her and I was prepared to fight alongside her, she was going to beat this.

She had to beat this. It was the only option.