A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 43

Charlottes POV

I opened my eye's, the room was still dark, well probably because it was the middle of the night.

I knew what had woken me up, but as I had been doing for the last few days, I tried to ignore it. I was good at ignoring things.

I grimaced, rolling over. I could make out Matt in the darkness and I reached over, putting my hand on his chest, feeling it rise and fall with each breath. I didn't want to wake him, I just wanted to be near him. I needed to be near him.

It had been a few weeks since the doctors appointment where everyone made a big deal about the chemotherapy, I was still managing to avoid it, my cell counts hadn't changed much so at the moment nobody was pushing me, although if what I thought was happening, that might well change, actually I knew it would change.

I looked at Matt and sighed, covering my mouth as it turned into a cough.

We'd been together for a month now, a month, and it had been the best month of my life. I'd fallen in love with him and I'd fallen hard, I was so completely in love him I couldn't think when he wasn't around. It was because of him that I was considering the chemotherapy, that and the fact that I was getting sick.

It had started yesterday, and with every passing hour I'd begun to feel worse, now my chest was heavy and it hurt to breath, it wasn't good, not at all, but I was kind of hoping my body might kick in and fight off this infection itself, but I knew I was dreaming.

I rolled over and sat up, I needed the toilet, but it seemed such an effort to get there. By the time I made it to the bathroom, I was breathless and my chest was burning, this was a bad sign, a very bad sign, god why now?

I took my time, trying to catch my breath but by the time I got back to bed I was breathless all over again.

I layed there trying to regulate my breathing quietly but Matt turned over, slipping his arm across my waist.

"You okay?" He whispered.

"Yes." I lied, I really wasn't but I just wanted to lay here with him for a little bit before I told him, before I told him I was sick.

"Okay." He murmured, wrapping his arm's around me and pulling me into his chest.

I lifted my face to his and kissed him softly.

"Jesus Charlotte, you're so hot." He said.

"You're not so bad yourself." I said, attempting to change the subject.

"I meant you're burning up." He said softly. "Are you okay?"

I closed my eye's. "Not really."

He groaned. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well." I snapped, turning away. "I was hoping I'd start to feel better."

"Charlotte." He murmured, pulling me back to his chest. "What's wrong?"

I took a deep breath, it hurt which made the tears start.

"Baby you're scaring me." Matt whispered.

"I'm sorry Matt, but I think I should go to the hospital." I cried.

I needed to stop, the more I cried, the more congested I became.

"It's okay Charlotte." He murmured kissing me on the nose. "I'll get dressed quickly and we can go."

I agreed, laying there watching him get dressed. I'd rather just stay in bed, with Matt, laying in his arms, but I knew I needed to go.

I sat up on the edge of the bed, taking my time, Matt helping me.

Taking my time because all of me hurt and I was having trouble catching my breath, and taking my time because I knew it could be awhile before I was back home, in bed with Matt again.

Things were serious now. My disease had just accelerated, I'd gone from okay to this in a matter of days. I'd have some decisions in front me, but I knew what to expect.

This was it, I was approaching my life or death decision.