A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 45

Matt's POV

"Hey." Elizabeth said softly, entering the room and closing the door.

I looked up at her and smiled, sort of, well as good as I could smile.

"When's the doctor coming?" She asked me.

I shrugged. "I guess once her blood results come back."

I looked back at Charlotte, she was still sleeping, but now she was struggling for every breath and I was scared, scared that I was going to lose her, she just looked and sounded so bad.

How did she go from being okay yesterday, to this, laying in a hospital, asleep, but more like unconscious, on constant oxygen?

I layed my head down on her hand. I wished she'd told me how bad she was, maybe if she had her outlook wouldn't be so poor, we would have gotten here, to the hospital sooner.

"Go home, have a shower." Elizabeth suggested lightly.

"I can't, I can't leave her." And I just couldn't.

"Matt."

"No, not until I speak to the doctor at least." I needed to know what the doctor was thinking.

"Okay." She murmured, hugging me from behind.

I closed my eye's, fighting back the tears. I would not cry in front of Elizabeth, I just wouldn't.

"Zack's getting us coffee." She murmured softly.

I nodded, looking at Charlotte, she was so tiny in the bed, she looked so pale and I was so afraid that this was it, this was the end, for her, for us.

We all sat there in silence, waiting, until finally the door opened and Dr Frost, another specialist, walked in.

"Guys." He said. "Do you want to come with me."

Well no I didn't, I didn't want to leave Charlottes side but I got up and followed him anyway, glancing back at her as we left.

We entered a room, sitting down. Zack was sitting with his arms around Elizabeth and I was jealous, jealous that he was able to do that to the woman he loved, while mine was in a hospital bed, fighting for her life.

"Okay." Dr Frost said, and I turned my attention to him. "Her bloods are shocking, I'm not going to sugar coat shit here, but Charlotte had to have been feeling bad for awhile."

I closed my eye's, rubbing my hand over my face.

"Nobody is to blame, she's stubborn, we all know that." He continued. "So this is where we're at, she needs to get a little better, but I'm going for a Stem Cell transplant."

"Get well?" I asked him.

"Yeah Matt, I don't know if you realise but most Leukemia patients die from an infection such as what Charlotte has, she has no immune system to fight." He explained.

I nodded, I understood that. "Stem cells?"

"Yes, it's a tough process, she'll be in isolation, absolutely no contact with anybody, well irradiate her, then transplant the stem cells."

"Irradiate?"

"Massive doses of radiation, it kills the leukemia cells but also all of her blood cells, she'll be so vulnerable, that's why she'll be in isolation, we cannot risk any outside contamination." He told me while Elizabeth stayed silent.

I looked at Elizabeth, she was the expert in this area.

"Absolutely." She told the doctor. "Let's go for it." She grabbed my hand, squeezing it. "It's okay." She murmured.

Was it, was it really? Was any of this okay?

"Okay." Dr Frost said standing up again. "Let's give her a couple of days to get some strength back then let's do this."

I sat there, watching him leave.

"Did you understand Matt?" Elizabeth asked me softly.

"I think so." I murmured standing up. I understood, either we do this or she dies and I wouldn't let that happen.

I walked back to her room, opening the door quietly.

"Hi." Charlotte whispered, pulling the oxygen mask down and smiling.
She was always smiling, her smile was my life.

"Hi." I whispered, going to her. "Shhhh." I murmured kissing her softly before replacing the mask back on her face.

She reached up, pulling it down again. "Where have you been?"

"Baby please." I murmured, fixing the mask again. "We've been talking, but you and I can talk about it later, when you feel a bit better."

She closed her eye's and I looked at her. She was so pale, her lips the same color as her skin, her eyes dark and bruised looking.

"Matt." She murmured, opening her eye's again.

I leant over close, resting my forehead on hers.

"I love you." She whispered.

I smiled, kissing her forehead. "I love you Charlotte."

She closed her eye's again smiling and just when I'd thought she'd gone back to sleep, she opened them again.

"Matt." She murmured again.

"Yes baby?"

"No chemotherapy." She whispered, closing her eye's.

"No." I told her, kissing her forehead again. "No chemotherapy."

She smiled and I sat there watching her.

She'd be okay, this Stem Cell thing would work, I knew it would, because let's be honest, I wasn't going to live a life without Charlotte. I refused to let her die. It just wasn't going to happen.