A Little Piece of Heaven

Chapter 47

Elizabeths POV

"You got everything?" Zack asked me.

I nodded grabbing my bag, glancing around.

"I'll take it." He told me grabbing it out of my hand.

I followed him out to the car. I was nervous, incredibly nervous. I'm not sure why, I would be back out of hospital in a couple days but poor Charlotte would still be there for weeks. What right did I have to be nervous?

"You okay?" Zack asked squeezing my hand, smiling at me.

I nodded. "Just nervous."

"That's understandable, I'm a little nervous myself." He murmured.

"Don't be Zack." I reassured him.

"Well everything has a risk Elizabeth."

I nodded. I was well aware of that. "But it's for Charlotte so it's worth it."

"You're very selfless babe and I love that about you." He murmured, smiling.

I smiled. "I love everything about you Zack."

He laughed. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I know." I whispered.

We stayed silent the rest of the trip and only spoke once I was admitted and settled in my room.

"So what time is it again?" Zack asked, making himself comfortable on the bed.

"I go in at 10am." I sighed. "I guess Charlotte will already have her central line in so they'll transplant straight away."

He nodded. I still wasn't 100% sure Zack actually got it, understood exactly what was happening.

"And speaking of Charlotte, I should probably go visit her." I told him.

"Not yet Elizabeth." Zack said, holding out is hand. "Look at you, you're a mess, you can't sit still."

I grabbed his hand, sitting on the bed. Of course he was right. I was nervous and I didn't want Charlotte to see me like this.

"Relax babe, it will be fine."

I leant over and kissed him. He was right. Of course it would be okay.

I layed down next to him and we relaxed, him holding me until a knock interrupted us.

Matt stuck his head in. "Am I interrupting?"

Well yes actually he was, but I just smiled at him.

"Nah." Zack said. "Come in."

He came in, sitting in a chair.

"Have you seen Charlotte today?" I asked him, knowing damn well he had.

He nodded, chewing on his lip. "Just came from her room."

"How is she?" I asked.

He shook his head, looking at his feet. "Horrible." He whispered.

I glanced at Zack and he squeezed my hand.

"How?" I asked.
Matt sat for a minute not speaking. I wondered why until he lifted his head and I realised he was close to tears.

"It's like she's given up." He whispered.

I felt anxiety knot in my stomach. "She hasn't Matt, she's just exhausted and over it all."

Was I trying to convince him or myself?

"After tomorrow things will only get better."

He nodded and went back to looking at his feet.

Zack rubbed my back gently, sensing my anxiety. She must be in a bad way and I needed to get down and see her, try and cheer her up. But if Matt couldn't what help was I going to be.

"Can I talk to you about something Elizabeth?" Matt asked.

I looked at him. God I hope he wasn't going to break up with her, not now. "Sure." I said slowly.

"Um I was thinking." He mumbled. "I was going to, well you know, I was thinking that....."

"For fuck sake Matt spit it out." I snapped, fearing the worst.

He looked at me surprised. "Well I was thinking of asking her to marry me."

Oh.

I sat there silently, shocked. It wasn't what I was expecting.

"That's great." Zack told him.

Was it?

"Matt have you thought this through?" I asked him.

"Of course I have, it's all I've thought about for weeks."

"You do realize there are complications Matt, from the leukemia, from the treatment." I snapped.

"Elizabeth." Zack said.

I looked at him, shaking my head.

"Yes Elizabeth, I know." Matt said softly.

"So you know, you know there will probably be no children and you're okay with that?"

Matt stood up. "Actually yeah Elizabeth, I am aware of that." He walked towards the door, opening it. "There are other options out there you know, but Charlotte is the one I want to spend my life with, only her."

He walked out, slamming the door.

"Nice." Zack said, looking at me.

Suddenly the door opened again and Matt stuck his head back in.

"I love your sister, more than anything, so thanks for the support Elizabeth, it's really fucking appreciated." And he slammed the door again.

"What were you thinking?" Zack asked, sitting up.

"I was just being a realist." I snapped.

"Jesus Elizabeth."

I looked at him and burst into tears.

"Baby don't cry." He murmured pulling me into his arms.

"I just don't want him to decide in a couple of years that Charlotte isn't what he wanted," I cried. "She's been through enough."

"Do you see that happening? Do you see the way he looks at her?" Zack said. "He's not going anywhere babe."

I nodded, he was right, Matt was so in love with my sister blind Freddie could see it, I just felt I needed to protect her.

"Go and get him." I told Zack.

I needed to apologise and maybe make him suffer a little. I knew Matt loved her, I just really liked giving him a hard time.

I smiled. My baby sister was getting married.

Well, providing she says yes of course.

But she will won't she?