Status: Active

Smoked Out

Get Back in Your Clothes

"Wake up, Sunshine!" Ugh, that horrid voice. I flew my eyes open afraid of what my dear old cousin Lindsay was up to now. "You're late for class."

"What?!" I shouted, getting up from the couch so fast it made my head spin. "I set my alarm on my phone, why didn't it go off?" I was mumbling more to myself than to Lindsay.

"Maybe because I turned it off last night. You should really put a password on your phone." I checked the time... 6:30 am. I wasn't late?

"God, what do you want?" I grunted at her, realizing she was just being extra bitchy this morning.

"I need a ride somewhere." She stated.

"Where the hell do you need a ride too? I start class in an hour and a half." She was so miserable and I was so miserable because of it. This next month was not going to be a nice one for me.

"Vaugh-"

"No." I was not driving her to Vaughn.

"It's only a 35 minute drive, you'll be back in time."

"No. I can't be late again this year." I realized how lame that sounded out loud, but I didn't care. I had perfect attendance until the other day and I didn't want to make being late or absent a habit. I felt like my life had been slowly spiraling lately and I didn't like it. Sucking at math so bad I needed a tutor? Getting drunk? Almost getting a ticket? I needed to get back on track and driving Lindsay to Vaughn, which sounds simple but I'm sure will lead to trouble somewhere along the way, seemed like a terrible idea.

"Well you better find someone to drive me because you don't want to piss me off." She was threatening me now and I hated her for it.

"Who am I supposed to find?" I asked, frustrated.

"I don't know. What about that cute boy thing of yours I saw you talking to the other day? Or does he hate you too?" Talon? She was killing me. "Doesn't look like he goes to school much."

"Stay here." I said, dragging myself away from the warmth of the couch and out the door. Talon was probably going to kill me. I had no right to do this but Lindsay was right... Talon didn't care about school and maybe he would do me this solid.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Talon!"

Knock. Knock. Silence.

I turned the knob expecting it to be locked and was surprised when it opened. I should have just waited outside, but I didn't think he was going to wake up. Even if he did wake up, he probably wouldn't answer the door anyway.

The house was dark except for the tiny stove light and I tried to walk silently across the floor to the stairs, not that it mattered since I was here to wake him up. I had to admit that I was scared and even though my parents owned the house this was still considered breaking 'n' entering.

I gave up trying to be sneaky and thumped down the stairs so that he would wake up before I got to his room. Unfortunately, he didn't come to the room door. It was halfway open. I knocked a few times instead of walking in so that I didn't invade too much of his privacy. Not that he would see a difference when he woke up. I had already invaded too much of his privacy.

"Talon!" I shouted, loudly. "I need you, wake up!" I heard grumbling and then sheets ruffling.

"What the fuck are you doing in my house, Macy?!" Talon grunted at me as I stepped in his room a little more so he knew who I was. "I'd be a little more mad, but this doesn't surprise me." What was that supposed to mean?

I couldn't really see him that well so I turned on the light for his room. He had painted it grey and put shelves up on the wall opposite the door. He had a few books on them but I couldn't make out which books they were, and on his bedside table was a picture of him and Axel with their faces stuffed with whatever food they had been eating. His room was also unusually clean. Way cleaner than my family had ever kept it. The basement room was my play room as a kid and then eventually it became the office room (pretty much my office room since I spent the most time in it). It was weird seeing someone else living in it.

"I'm sorry. I know I have no right to ask you this but I need a really big favour. Like the biggest favour ever known to mankind." I said, being way over dramatic. He looked a little scared and it made me smirk from trying not to laugh.

"You know, you have major bed head in the mornings. Your mascara is also all over your face." I hadn't thought about fixing myself up before making myself visible to human beings other than my family and now I was seriously hating myself for it.

Talon stood up from his bed and I tried really hard not to stare at him or his body. He was shirtless, wearing nothing but boxers, and toned... so toned I wanted to run my hand across his abs just to check if they were real. He wasn't a body builder type toned, just a lean, middle sized toned, and staring at him while he was in this state with his hair all messy, his voice all raspy, and nothing but boxers on made me blush. I had never witnessed a guy like this before.

"I, um," I ran my hands through my hair, suddenly nervous. "I need you, well I was wondering, if maybe you could PLEASE give my cousin Lindsay a ride to Vaughn today?" Emphasis on the please, because don't make me spend any more time with her than I have to!

"Okay."

"I know it's a lot to ask, but I was bald for a while because of her and then my arm was all screwy because of the scissors and I swear she is determined to make me miserable. I will do anything, Talon, just please take her." I was rambling, but I couldn't stop myself.

"I already said okay, Macy, though now I'm a little frightened."

"Wait, what?" He said okay? Without a fight? And after I woke him up at 6:30 in the morning? Was this an alternate universe? I was expecting some sort of struggle over this. Not an okay right off the bat.

"I said okay. Tell her I'll be ready to go in twenty minutes." I was so shocked.

"She has to leave now." I said, as he glared at me.

"You owe me breakfast," he said pointing at me. I watched as he pulled on a pair of ripped jeans and a plain black v-neck before grabbing his beloved leather jacket and leaving the room. I followed him out of the house and around to the front where Lindsay stood with her arms crossed.

"Lindsay, Talon. Talon, Lindsay." I said, introducing them. I felt kind of bad for having to leave Talon alone with her.

"I don't do formalities, just get in the truck and tell me where we're going." I smiled as Lindsay's face fell a little in shock. I don't think she was used to guys talking to her like that. That was Talon though and until he decided he liked her, which he was never going to do, he would not go out of his way to be nice to her. I never thought I would like that part of him before, but right in this moment it was my favourite thing about him.

"It's okay, he'll warm up to me soon." Lindsay said, winking at me, when Talon had already reached the driver's side door. I waved to Talon, finding this entire situation weird, and walked inside to my Lindsay-free house. At least Lindsay-free for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carson was supposed to show up Wednesday but he got Chase to text me and tell me he couldn't, but that Thursday was better. I was mad, but it was Tuesday so I was happy he at least gave me notice beforehand. I told him he better show up Thursday and left it alone.

I kept thinking about yesterday and how weird it had been. I came home after practice to Lindsay sitting on the couch smiling at me. She didn't say anything at all, just smiled until I left for Talon's to work on my math. That was weird enough already before Talon's. It got even more weird when I was at Talon's and he didn't say one offensive thing to me all night. He was still snarky and sarcastic but not in an attacking way, just in a 'we're friends' way. I decided that I liked this whole Talon and I being nice to each other thing way better than the Talon and I hating each other thing.

Today was Tuesday. It was quiet, calm, and you know... my date day. So while it was quiet and calm for everyone around me, my head was chaotic. Chase and I hadn't talked all day yesterday besides the text he sent me from Carson followed by a 'see you tomorrow ;)'. I didn't mind because I wasn't a big texter anyway and at least he was keeping in contact, no matter how light that contact was.

It was in between classes and I was standing over at Beverly and Amy's lockers talking. They seemed okay today so I didn't feel the tension like I normally did and that calmed some of my nerves for the day. "Bev, don't date him!" Amy said, pleadingly. I was confused. I had looked away from them for one second and had come back to a completely different conversation.

"Date who?" I asked. Beverly raised her eyebrows at me like I was supposed to know. I didn't.

"Travis!" She said, a tiny bit annoyed that I didn't know. "And I'll date him if I want. Besides, Macy has a date with Chase tonight so scold her instead."

"Hey!" I whined. "So far he has been super nice to me." Amy stared at me with a sudden anger in her eyes.

"Why am I the last to know about this?" She said, disregarding the friendly conversation we had been having.

"I figured Beverly would have told you since you saw each other before I saw you." Beverly pretended to be distracted by something in the hallway and I rolled my eyes at her. Of course she didn't fill Amy in, they were apparently on thinner ice than I had thought.

I took a step back and away from their returning tension and bumped into someone. "Just the person I was looking for." Chase said smiling. "You okay? I feel like I ran into you pretty hard there. I'm sorry."

"I'm okay," I said smiling. "What's up?" I ignored Amy and Beverly who were gawking at Chase and I talking.

"I just wanted to let you know that our date begins right after last period and to meet me at your locker." Right after last period? No. I was supposed to go home and get all pretty. The type of pretty Beverly had made me the other night at bowling. I was not prepared for this.

"Okay, do I need to bring anything?" Face palm. What, Macy?

"Just yourself." He said smiling. "I'll see you then." He said, walking away from me backwards. I turned to look at Beverly and Amy.

"And Macy!" he shouted from a few meters away now.

"Yeah?" I asked, looking back towards him.

"You look gorgeous today." He turned around before I could answer him and I felt myself melting into a gooey puddle.

"What just happened?" Amy said, smiling. "That was not the Chase I remember." Well that was nerve-racking. The bell rang for next period and Amy told me to text her the details before leaving for her next class. It was math time again, so Beverly and I walked to class together. Apparently Beverly was turning over a new leaf. So far she had come to class three times in the last two weeks, I was impressed.

Mr. Sherik was writing some long equation on the board when we walked in and I could already feel my brain starting to hurt. I had learned a lot from Talon last night but I still had a long way to go. There was so much going on on the board that I had to wear my glasses and I was instantly annoyed.

Talon came in a few seconds later and sat down, turning around to talk to Beverly and I until class officially began. "Nice glasses." He said, smirking. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Shut up." He laughed and turned around just as Mr. Sherik began his lesson for the day. I tried to pay extra attention so that I didn't feel as stupid but once again, it was all lost on me. I hated that it took me forever to get this stuff. Mr. Sherik called on me twice and I think it was because he was trying to get me to understand it better. I didn't know the answers or the paths one was supposed to take to get to them either time and I could only imagine the frustration he had for me. He probably thought I wasn't going to my tutor sessions. Talon saved me both times, explaining where I went wrong and giving me a better solution. Well, he was giving the class a better solution, but he was really talking to me. I didn't mind. When he said it, I understood it a little better.

When class was over I thanked him before leaving for lunch. Beverly was meeting Travis and Amy had texted me telling me she was hanging out with this guy Cory, whom I had never heard of in my life, and that she was sorry for bailing. I went outside and sat on the bleachers. The weather was so warm today for October and I soaked it all in. It felt like Summer, not Autumn.

"Hey you!" I heard a female voice shout up to me. I looked down and saw Aurora making her way towards me. She was wearing a lacy black top with dark blue skinny jeans and a pair of red pumps that looked high enough to use as a weapon if need be. She was once again wearing that deep red lipstick and her hair was loose and curly. "Mind if I sit with you?"

"Not at all." I said, shrugging. I wasn't mad at her for the other night. She was just trying to have fun and I could have said no to those drinks. I could have stood my ground, but I didn't, so I was to blame more than anyone else.

"Heard you saved Talon from that psycho bitch," she said taking out a smoke from her back pocket and lighting it. It didn't bother me as much as when the guys did it. Probably because she blew the smoke away from me instead of at me. "Nice."

"I don't even understand why he was so worked up over her. She hardly seemed worth it." I said, still confused about how Talon really felt about Serena.

"She used to be. Her and Talon dated for two years and went through a lot of shit together. I think he may have even loved her once. Their relationship is complicated." I could tell she didn't want to explain anymore so I nodded and dropped the subject.

"I didn't realize you went to this school." I found it weird that I had never seen her before the party.

"It's because I don't usually show up. Carson and I are twins and have some of the same classes so he just lets me copy his crap when he comes home. That's if he decides to show up himself." I could definitely see the resemblances now between them. They didn't look exactly the same but almost.

"Makes sense." I said, trying to be understanding but partially failing at it.

"You're judgment is showing through." She said, winking at me. She took one last puff of her smoke before putting it out and throwing it over the side of the bleachers.

"I'm working on it." I said, honestly, because I was.

"We should hangout sometime," She said, standing up from the bench. "I think you could be fun to hangout with once you loosen up a bit."

"I'll try not to take offence to that." I said, smiling. Despite all the things about her that scream daring and confident and bad news, I really did like the idea of being her friend.

"I'll see you around." I watched her walk away. She walked across the field in those pumps of hers like it was easiest thing in the world and left school property, I figured, to be anywhere other than class. I tried not to be jealous.

The rest of the day went by pretty fast. We watched half of "To Kill A Mockingbird" in English, which I loved, and we had a Fall assembly last period which I probably would have missed had I known there weren't any classes last period. It was all these Halloween dances and student counsel reminding everybody that there was a Halloween dance coming up. Entry fees were five bucks a person but the money went to upgrading the science rooms. I probably wasn't going to go. Not that I hated science or anything, but more because I found school dances pretty boring. Besides, Halloween has always been spent with Bev and Amy watching scary movies and eating candy.

I walked slowly to my locker after the assembly, knowing that I had my date with Chase now and the nerves had kicked in. I went to the nearest bathroom and did a quick mirror check. I had curled my hair this morning so that I wouldn't have to do it tonight and I was thanking myself for that since I wouldn't have been able to anyway. The curls had fallen a little, enough to make my hair look more beachy than formal and I liked it better that way.

I turned a corner in the hallway and saw Chase immediately. He was standing at my locker smiling at me. "So where exactly are we going?" I said as I reached him. He looked so good today. He was wearing a black v-neck and light blue jeans and around his right wrist he had two brown leather bracelets. He didn't look like he spent hours getting ready but pair those things with his blue eyes and chestnut hair and he was so incredibly handsome.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out." I rolled my eyes playfully at him and threw my stuff in my locker.

"What do I do about my car?" I asked, suddenly remembering that I had driven it to school, like I do every other day I come to school or go anywhere actually.

"I'll drive you back to it when we leave tonight." I nodded. Okay, fair. I felt a little uneasy about leaving it at the school but that quickly was replaced by the nerves I felt around Chase right now.

We walked across the parking lot to his car, which was an older black impala. It suited him and I liked that about it. We talked a little as he drove us to our mystery destination. I pretty much played the guessing game the entire time trying to figure out where we were going even though I knew he wouldn't let me know if I was right anyway. It was only a ten minute drive until we reached our destination.

"Hey, I guessed the beach and you said no!" I shouted more loudly than I intended as we got out of the car. He laughed at me and went to the trunk where he grabbed three blankets before closing it.

"I know this is a super cliche date, but I figured since it was so nice out we should enjoy it. Plus, there's that little food shack that serves the best burgers. I called ahead and they have chicken ceaser salads as well in case you wanted to be health conscious again." I could tell he was excited about taking me here and it made me smile.

"It's perfect." He smiled down at me and grazed his hand over mine. I took it and let him lead me to the shack. I knew the one he was talking about but I had never gone before. Not because I didn't want to, just because I usually always ate before coming to the beach and was too full to try anything new.

We didn't stay at the shack long. I ordered the ceaser salad and he ordered a big juicy burger like he said he was going to, he paid even though I tried to pay for my half, and we left. The food was good and I loved the beachy atmosphere of the place. Chase told me that you have to go there while you can in Summer because they only stay open until the end of October and don't reopen again until late May.

"So why are there three blankets?" I asked as we stopped at a spot in the sand and Chase began placing a blanket down.

"I brought one for us to sit on and one for each of us." Oh. I suddenly felt super awkward.

"You don't like sharing?" I was trying to mock him playfully, but I was so nervous when I spoke I'm sure he could tell.

"Me? I love sharing!" He said, throwing one of the blankets to the side and patting the spot beside him. I laughed and sat down. We let the blanket rest on our legs for now since it was still pretty warm out. It was only quarter to five so the sun wouldn't be gone for at least another two hours.

"I'm sorry I'm so awkward right now!" I said blushing.

"Are you kidding? I'm so nervous!" I like that I made a guy like him nervous.

"Yeah?"

"Definitely." We smiled at each other and I felt my heart speed up.

"So how come you're so nice to me?" I was genuinely confused about that. He looked at me confused.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Maybe I should have started with something else.

"Up until recently your friends weren't." I stated. He raised his eyebrows at me.

"It's not monkey see, monkey do, Macy. My friends are jerks. I'm not." I felt bad for offending him after he had treated me so nicely.

"You're right, I'm sorry." I apologized. "I'm just not used to nice people, I guess." I chided myself for almost ruining what was a really nice date.

"I like you and I want you to know that and not question it.” I smiled, the butterflies in my stomach fluttering around like crazy.

“I think it’s a little bit crazy how much I’ve come to like you in such a short amount of time.” I said, my face hot but inching closer to his. He smiled, leaning in towards me and licking his lips slightly before pressing them against mine.

It was a gentle kiss; the kind of kiss that you slowly melted into. He brought his hand up to my face and lifted my chin lightly, deepening the kiss. The butterflies kicked it up a notch and my skin felt tingly with his touch. It was nerve-racking and amazing at the same time and I didn’t want to stop.

“I could get used to this.” He said, his lips still pressed to mine. I gave him one last kiss and pulled away.

“You kind of make me melt a little, Mr. Backus.” He shrugged.

“That’s what all the ladies say!” I pushed him over and he laughed. “If I’m being completely serious though, I haven’t had my eye on anyone other than you and I don’t plan on that changing.” I melted. Here was Chase Backus, Talon Langworth’s good friend, a guy that smokes and wears leather jackets, telling me that he only has eyes for me. I never thought I would ever be in this position before.

“I feel the same way.” I said, and leaned in and kissed him. We layed on the beach talking for an hour and a half about school, work, our families. I told him about Lindsay and everything she has put me through and how she’s back to have another jab at me. He told me about how his father abandoned him when he was younger and how his mom struggles to pay her bills. I felt so connected to him for only really knowing him for a few days.

“What time is it?” He blurted, interrupting my story about how I accidentally killed my pet frogs when I was younger. He whipped out his cell phone and checked the time. “We gotta go, we’re going to be late!” He said, standing up and holding his hand out for me to take.

“Going to be late for what?” I asked, taking his hand and helping him grab everything off the beach after I was up. This was so strange.

“The main event, Macy, the main event!” He winked.

“I thought this was the main event?” I said, confused.

“No. This was the getting to know you better before the main event. We have about an hour and a half to get to the actual main event. You are going to fall so in love with me, Macy Crawford.” He grabbed my hand and ran with me to his car, packed everything away, and started driving. I felt so anxious, my heart rate would not slow down.

“I just want to know!” I said. “Why am I going to fall so in love with you? Tell me!” He shook his head.

“You’ll know when we get there.” I grunted and he laughed.

“How did you even know to take me there?” I practically shouted at Chase when we reached the school where my car was still sitting waiting patiently for me. “That was by far the greatest night of my life!”

He had taken me to see “Of Monsters and Men” live and I was on such a high, I didn’t know when I was going to come down from it. The atmosphere was incredible and the energy had my adrenaline pounding through me. We played “Of Monsters and Men” on the way back from the concert so we didn’t really talk much.

“Actually, if I’m being honest, Talon gave me the idea.” He scratched his head while he said it, like he was nervous for my reaction. “I know you two aren’t really friends, but I asked him for ideas to make this night really great and he told me to take you to this concert. Apparently he had seen it on ticketmaster while he was looking for some “Slipknot” tickets. I hope that doesn’t ruin the night for you.” I leaned over and kissed him. It was crazy how I hadn’t even known him until a few days ago and now I was kissing him constantly in one day.

“Of course it doesn’t ruin it. The fact that you cared enough to ask anyone, even Talon, for advice on how to make this date special means a lot to me. Tonight was amazing! Seriously.” I was smiling so wide my cheeks hurt.

“I’m glad you had a good time then.” He said, “I wish you didn’t have to go.”

“I wish I didn’t have to go either.” I said, puffing my lips out in a pouty face. It was 1 a.m. and I knew I was going to be so tired tomorrow if I didn’t get some sleep now.

“Until next time, Crawford.” He leaned in and gave me a quick kiss before I got out of the car and to my own, smiling the entire time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh man, school has been so hectic, I will try to post more regularly now.

Hope you enjoy. :)