Status: Active

Smoked Out

Get Out of My Class

“Hey!” I shouted, running to catch up with Carson. Class had just ended and he had left the room so fast that I hadn't gotten a chance to arrange a time to meet up and work on the project. “Carson!” I said when he didn't hear me the first time. Actually the likelihood of him not hearing me was slimmer than the likelihood of him hearing me, so I figured he was just ignoring me. This time he glanced back in my direction and stopped, waiting for me to catch up.

“What's up?” He said sounding confused. Yes, Carson. I know we don't talk that much, well ever actually, but we're going to have to start. I can't fail this project and having you as my partner makes me extremely nervous so you better show up to every meeting we arrange and you better do your fair share of the work. Got it?

What I really said was, “I need your number.” Remind me to smack myself across the face for that later. I watched as a mischievous smile appeared on his face and he licked his lips. Ugh. Gross? It was probably best not to demand the number of somebody who has probably slept with three quarters of the school and thought he could land anyone.

“Why do you need my number when I'm standing right here? Say what you have to say, I'll take you to the janitor's closet, and we'll be done with it.” Now he had his right arm over my shoulder and touching the wall. His face was so close to mine and he was staring at me like he was trying to stare into my soul and all I could think was, this wall you have me pinned against is really grimy, and I'd appreciate it if you tried not to breathe on my lips like that.

“As appealing as the janitor's closet sounds, I'd rather you just meet me at the library Wednesday after school so we can work on this project.” I shoved his arm off me and stood a few feet away from him so that his breath was no longer lingering in front of my face.

“Ouch,” He said pretending to look hurt. “Don't worry, you'll change your mind. As for Wednesday, I will be there.” He tried to sound reassuring but part of me didn't think he had any intention of showing up. I gave him a stern look before walking away and searching the halls for Amy and Beverly. I found them at Amy's locker bickering about something that Beverly had said in class.

Amy and Beverly were starting to argue more and more lately and it was starting to worry me. Before I thought that it was just a stage in their friendship that they were going to get over, but now I'm not so sure. The two of them could argue over a piece of cheese and make it sound like it was a valid argument. I tried telling them that it worried me before but they just shrugged the idea away and told me everything was fine. I was starting to believe that everything was not fine and that this went way beyond their petty little arguments; something had to have happened that they weren't telling me about.

“No, you told Mindy that I liked Sam! I heard you and yet you still stand here lying to me.” Amy said reaching out and pointing her finger at Beverly. I guess this was a bit bigger than arguing over cheese but what made Beverly want to tell someone that in the first place? I was so confused with them two it was putting a strain on my mind.

Sam was Amy's latest crush and you could tell she was crushing hard. They had started talking at the beginning of the year after they bonded over cell division in our last period biology class. Personally, I found it nearly impossible to like biology no matter who my lab partner was. It was a boring subject and I always had to try my hardest in that class to keep my grades up. We're not talking about my class preferences though, we're talking about Amy's and she loved biology just because she got to be partners with Sam Heating.

“I told her that he was off limits! I was very vague about it. What would you have liked me to do when she told me she was thinking about asking him out? Yeah, Mindy, you go right ahead and ask him out!” Beverly was flailing her arms around like crazy now trying to prove her point. I don't think either of them had realized I was standing there listening to them.

“I get your point,” Amy said, her voice softening. “Just please don't ever bring it up again to anyone, okay?” You could tell that they were both at that point in the argument where they wished they could just forget about it entirely and move on with their day. I noticed that they were both carrying their Travel books from their Travel and Tourism class last period and by the sticky notes sticking out of them it looked like they had a lot of homework. I figured it was probably just their stress building up and they were taking it out on each other.

“Guys,” I said waving my hands in front of their faces to finally show them that I was there. Amy shoved her books in her locker and turned around to face me. They hadn't replied, they were just staring at me waiting for me to talk. I felt like this was a bad time to explain my first period english class partnership so I held off on that for another time. I figured starting with a topic that would make them laugh would be a better route to go. “I got pulled over by a cop today!”

“What?!” They both shouted at me, smile lighting up their previously annoyed faces. “You did not! I don't believe that for a second.” Amy said, her mouth hanging in a o-shape. Beverly was just standing there shaking her head at me with a wide grin on her face.

“I always knew my little Macy was going to end up in trouble one day. I'm so proud of you! What'd you do anyways?” I felt better now that the tension in the air from their argument had vanished. I didn't particularly like the conversation we were having because I still felt horrible for lying to the cop but it was better than the two of them bickering back and forth.

“Speeding.” I said shrugging it off like it was no big deal. “Yup, you've got a rebel on your hands.” I was trying to sound cool and mischievous but it came out very awkward and we all burst out laughing.

“I guess this town better watch out then.” Amy said smirking. I hit her lightly on the shoulders before explaining to them exactly what happened. Of course they had to stop me to ask me if the cop was attractive or not which before then I hadn't really taken into consideration. He wasn't bad looking I guess, but he was in his fourties which automatically meant off limits. When I reached the end of the story the bell had rung for next period and they had both just stood there nodding their heads in approval; it weirded me out.

“Beverly, are you coming to class today?” We had Math this period and she hated it so much that she usually just skipped and then got the lessons from me afterwards. She is so lucky that I am such a good friend otherwise she'd be failing. It's not even that she's not capable, because she is, it's that she doesn't like to try. Well, she doesn't like to try while she's in the building anyways, she's perfectly fine getting my notes later. She doesn't copy me either, she takes the lessons and the questions only and teaches herself everything. I wish I had her math skills!

“Unfortunately, Cameron and I got into an argument last night so we aren't going out today. Class it is.” She shoved my arm and started walking in the direction of our classroom while I looked at her and raised an eyebrow. Beverly never refrained from telling me about her and Cameron's fights. Cameron was her boy toy, sort of. She likes him and he likes her but they both didn't want a relationship out of it so they just hangout without the strings attached. And by hangout, I mean they usually go to his truck during second and fool around. I guess they talk also since they get into fights all the time and they're usually always texting. I told Beverly this was going to get messy and she was going to want more, but she does this thing where she doesn't listen to you; not when she's set on something already.

“So tell me about this fight...” I said, making it clear that I was a little shocked she hadn't already said anything to me about it.

“It was bad, Macy.” She said fidgeting with her fingers. She only does that when she's worried. “I would have told you but I didn't want to talk about it. That was the first Amy heard about it also.” I turned around and noticed that Amy had already started walking off in the opposite direction; apparently she didn't care about the fight.

“What happened?” I said as we rounded the corner and entered our classroom. We sat down at the very back of the class where our assigned seats were. I usually sat at the front because I got a better view of the board and I didn't need to wear my glasses, which by the way; I hate wearing, but since this class was assigned I didn't have a choice. I did what I could without wearing my glasses and at the end of class I usually snuck up to the front to copy the rest of what I couldn't read.

“He slept with Rebecca Stedson and I found out and freaked at him. Which I know isn't fair at all because we established that we weren't going to have any strings, but it was Rebecca Stedson! She's hated me since tenth grade and everyone knows that.” You could see her anger reflected in her eyes and I had to admit that it was a little scary.

“Maybe you should tell him that you want more then. Clearly it upsets you that he's going off with other girls. You should ta-”

“No. It's fine.” She said cutting me off as soon as other people started arriving. She gave me that look that signaled that we'd be talking about it later when no one was around to hear the details. Mr. Sherik walked in, late as usual, and took his seat at his desk. That was a good thing about this class. The teacher came in late so you could too.

Mr. Sherik started writing quadratic equations on the board while the rest of the class sat in silence and watched. When I looked around the room almost everybody was on their phones though, so I was assuming the silence wasn’t out of respect. I looked over at Beverly who seemed to be lost in thought and was looking over at the wall with a blank expression.

My mind started racing over today’s events. If I could hug that officer right now for saving me, I would. The thought of my parents finding out scared the crap out of me and I would definitely not have been allowed to drive for a long time. They’d probably make me walk to work which isn’t so bad now but in the winter would be hell.

“So, for today’s lesson-” Mr. Sherik said before getting cut off by the classroom door opening. At this moment I can honestly tell you that I was a terrible person in my past life. I probably murdered my family or stole my best friend’s boyfriend. Two vastly different kinds of wrong but they would both make sense if they were true. Because while I thought my karma had already come to me after the speeding ticket, apparently the karmic gods weren’t finished with me yet.

“I’ve just been switched into this class.” And somebody kill me now. You know, it’s already been a month of school why would they let him in this class now? Why couldn’t they have some stupid rule stating that you can no longer change your time table if your name is Talon Langworth. Unless, of course, he’s already in my class. Then he can have all the permission he wants to switch into a different one. I hate you karmic gods. I hope you know that.

“Take a seat, Langworth.” Mr. Sherik said, pointing to the seat two rows in front of me. Great, now I get to stare at the back of his head blocking my view all period. I noticed that Beverly had instantly perked up and was raising her eyebrows at me. I shrugged her off and listened to what Mr. Sherik was saying. “I’ll get you the review for the past few weeks after class. As for right now, can anybody tell me how to solve this equation?”

The equation on the board was long and I had no idea how to do it. I remember vaguely learning about this last year, but nothing about it really stuck with me. Nothing about math really stuck with me. I had to work my hardest last year just to get over seventy percent in the course and this year was even harder. This year I didn’t even want to try because trying would only make me feel incompetent and I hate feeling incompetent.

“May I?” Talon said reaching his hand out to Mr. Sherik to pass him the chalk. Mr. Sherik handed him the chalk and the entire class waited in silence. This silence was different though. This silence felt still. There was no clicking of buttons on cell phones or screen lights shining in anyone’s face. Everybody was focused on Talon as he walked up to the board and solved the equation faster than it had taken Mr. Sherik to write it. I think my jaw actually dropped when Talon turned around and was given a high five by my math teacher. “Thank you. Thank you.” Talon said between bows. I hated him for being good at this.

“That was incredible, Langworth.” Mr. Sherik began again. “Did anybody follow along with each step he took to figure that problem out?” A few students raised their hands but over half of the class was still trying to process the question itself. “Well, as Talon has displayed on the board in front of you. You have to make sure you break down the equation in steps. Some of you may need fewer steps than others. I personally find that I like taking the extra steps to organize my work. Yes, I am a math teacher, thus making me a nerd, but I can still make mistakes. Now –” I only half listened as he brought us through each step that Talon took to solve the equation. Mostly I just doodled in my notebook and waited for the time to pass.

Only two more classes left until I could leave this building and go skating. I just needed some time to myself now, even if there was going to be a whole class in the same arena as me. It didn’t matter who was around me when I skated because I was always off in my own world. My own happy, peaceful world filled with turns and jumps that left me breathless.

“Class dismissed.” Mr. Sherik said in that mocking tone he always uses when dismissing us, and bringing me back from my daydream about skating. “Macy, can I see you before you leave?”

“Uh oh.” Beverly said, elbowing me. “I’ll meet you at my locker.” She smiled and left the room, leaving me there with a bundle of nerves wondering why I was asked to stay after class. I walked over to Mr. Sherik’s desk and waited patiently while he rummaged through some papers he originally had stacked neatly, but were now ruined along with any evidence showing that he was an organized person.

“Ah, here we go.” He said, pulling out one of the last few pages in the pile. “How strong do you think you are at Math, Macy?” Ouch.

“Uhh… not very strong?” I answered him, though it came out more of a question than an answer.

“You know, a lot of students have issues with math and it doesn’t mean that you’re incapable of doing it; you just need a little bit of help.” Okay. Did he think I needed to stay after school for some extra help? Did he want me to give up my lunches? “Do you remember that practice test we did the first week of school?”

“Yeah…” Now I knew what he was holding in his hand.

“Well, I looked through them and even though it was just the basics you still had a hard time with it. Now, I didn’t just come up with this through this one test. I’ve been keeping track of the work you’ve handed in to me as well and I talked with a few of your previous math teachers and all of them told me that you tend to struggle in this subject. I have an idea to help you with this, but it is entirely up to you what you choose to do with it.” I nodded, not sure of what to say. “Talon Langworth is an exceptional math student and I know he wouldn’t mind helping you out a bit. I haven’t talked to him yet, but –”

“Woah, Mr. Sherik. Please, don’t bother.” I said, very aware of what he wanted to happen here. I didn’t want Talon helping me with anything. “Talon doesn’t help anyone but himself.”

“I’d beg to differ, Miss. Crawford. Talon has been a math tutor to the students at Bennett High for as long as I can remember. I would advise you to really think about –”

“Isn’t there another way? Can’t you help me after school?” I sounded like I was begging but I didn’t care. “Seriously, Talon will not help me.”

“I have a new born at home and I’m unable to stay after school as of right now. Don’t worry though, as part of Talon’s deal here with the school he won’t have a choice and he’s never turned down a student anyway. Look, I don’t know what issues you two may have with each other, but I do know that you could fail this course and judging by your academic history, you’ve worked really hard to keep that from happening before.”

“But –”

“Just think about it, okay?” He said, gathering up his things and getting up off his chair. “Take this home with you and get your parents to sign it. Discuss possibilities with them and if you change your mind about Talon then his door is always open.” I looked down at the test from the first week as Mr. Sherik left the room, leaving the door open behind him for when I was ready to leave. I almost fainted when I saw the mark written on my test in red ink followed by way too many corrections and x’s to count.

Nobody can pass a course with 40% tests. I hate you karmic gods.