‹ Prequel: Falling Stars

Red Sun Rising

Chapter Four

Calli sat with her legs curled beneath her in a window seat of the luxury space cruiser, abandoning all queenly decorum now that she was alone and Aurora was sleeping. Calli gnawed at her bottom lip worriedly as she gazed out the huge picture window that offered a breathtaking view of space as they flew. She was a jumble of mixed emotions.

When she had first gone to Travenia with Julian and King Gerald she had been ecstatic. The whole thing had seemed like some sort of glorious dream, until they'd been attacked as they were preparing to return home. Now she was returning to the place where she had first started realizing her feelings for Julian, and where his father had been murdered.

It had been one of those rare but infuriating times that Calli had felt totally helpless and guilt still pricked at her when she thought about it. She tried not to fidget restlessly, not wanting to wake Aurora up. She knew Julian wasn't handling the return to Travenia well but Calli thought it best to let him have some space, especially while she herself was trying to keep her emotions under control.

If she had a breakdown that wouldn't help matters. She caught sight of her reflection in the window and found to her relief that she didn't look anywhere near as conflicted and jittery as she felt. All her years of practice at schooling her features into cool nonchalance was paying off, it seemed.

More than one of her fellow soldiers had told her that she was near impossible to get a read on unless she was either very happy or very about to shoot something. She leaned her head against the window, watching the stars and planets swirl and drift by outside. She wasn't sure where Julian was; the last she'd seen of him he had been half-heartedly attempting to choke down a sandwich in the galley.

Calli climbed carefully to her feet, scooping Aurora up and wrapping her in a blanket. She carried the little girl to her room, laying her gently in her bed and tucking her in while softly singing Aurora's favorite lullaby. Then she went in search of Julian, finding him still in the galley; his head in his hands and his sandwich still mostly uneaten.

"You need to eat, Jules," she murmured.

"Not hungry," he muttered. Calli sat beside him and grabbed his face, forcing him to look at her. She held his face for a few moments, gaze locked on his.

"Julian," she said, softly but firmly. "You can, and will, get through this."

"I don't want to go."

"Jules." Calli rolled her eyes.

"I know, I know." He sighed. "I know exactly what you're thinking based on that look. Can't I please just pretend to be a sensitive artist who lurks in the shadows instead of a king of an entire galaxy for a while longer though?"

He looked at her imploringly and Calli felt her gaze soften. Her hands were still cupping his face so she yanked him forward gently and kissed him.

"Fine," she said. "You can play moody teenager for another day or two."

"Whatever the Queen-Major commands." Julian cracked a smile and Calli took that as a good sign. He was the one who had insisted on calling her Queen-Major all the time; Calli had never technically given an official resignation to the Centauri Army. When she had suggested it, just before she and Julian got married, she had apparently gone pale and green at the same time despite her best efforts and Julian promptly went to the Council and told them it might do Centauri some good to have a queen who was also a prime military strategist who had a good relationship and sound knowledge of the military.

Naturally more than one Advisor had protested, looking positively scandalized. They were likely bitter even to this day that Julian hadn't followed their wishes and married a proper noble girl and instead married a grunt from one of the poorest planets in the galaxy. The idea of Calli continuing to hold rank in the army while being queen didn't sit well with some of the sticklers. But Julian had insisted, and Advisor Lorian had backed him; as well as a surprising number of the others. Calli had been sure when they voted on it that her ties to the army would be cut. It was a close vote, but the aye's had it and Calli kept her rank as Major in addition to her new status as queen.

Of course, she hadn't had much need to do anything very militaristic since the ambush on the castle on the day of Julian's first, unfulfilled wedding. Mostly she just inspected military bases, spoke with lead generals and pilots, and occasionally helped train and drill castle guards. Still, it made her feel useful and allowed her a link to her old life. And for that she would be forever grateful to Julian, as well as Lorian and all the other Advisors who had voted in her favor.

"Where's Aurora?" Julian asked, taking another try at his sandwich.

"She's taking a nap. We were playing in the sky deck and she fell asleep. I put her to bed."

"At least she seems to be untroubled by all this."

"I wish it could always be that way for her."

"She's a tough kid. Like her mom."

Calli smiled. "And her dad."

When they actually arrived at Travenia though, Calli almost had to physically drag Julian out of their room. After she swept his legs out from under him and started to do just that, he finally hollered that he could walk just fine and she smoothed his hair and straightened his clothes before they made their way off the ship. The Travenian governor was waiting for them with his wife and a small assembly of personal guards and trusted officials.

Calli felt Julian draw a deep breath as they descended the ramp to greet the governor. Aurora was on her other side, looking ridiculously prim and elegant for a three year old in her sky blue dress.

"Your Majesties, welcome. Thank you for coming." Governor Shane Brickleman III bowed before shaking Julian's hand and kissing Calli's. He leaned down to talk to Aurora.

"And hello to you, young princess," he said warmly.

"Hello, Governor," Aurora replied politely. "It's very nice to meet you."

"She is an absolute doll," the governor's wife said, beaming at Aurora. "I hope my grandchildren will be so precious."

"Ah, yes." The governor cleared his throat. Calli and Julian followed the governor, Aurora trotting just ahead of them. Calli felt her breath catch as they walked past the site where King Gerald had been gunned down. It was all pristine green grass but Calli could still picture that day in her mind. The only sign that anything horrible had happened in the picturesque square was a memorial statue of Gerald. A few of the larger and wealthier planets had had one made after his death at the hands of Tesheni insurgents. Governor Brickleman had been the first to erect the memorial.

Calli could tell the sight of it was hard on Julian but he kept his head up. Calli linked her fingers with his to give his hand a reassuring squeeze. She glanced briefly at the statue Gerald's face as they passed, her heart heavy. Then the statue was behind them and she heard Julian let out a soft breath.

"Your son got married recently didn't he?" Calli asked, hoping the conversation would help distract Julian.

"Ah, yes." The governor cleared his throat awkwardly. "About that. I probably should have warned Your Majesties before, but...Shane married Lady Cecily Neville."

Calli almost stumbled to a halt, choking back a bark of laughter. "Oh? That's wonderful."

"I hope it doesn't cause any awkwardness while you're here."

"It won't bother us in the slightest," Calli assured him with a bright smile. Julian's eyebrows had fairly disappeared into his hair. He had very nearly married Cecily himself, and she had not been happy about losing out on becoming queen. From what Calli understood, she had practically had a full breakdown over it. A most epic tantrum. Calli was still beaming as they entered the governor's mansion to greet the rest of his family. Shane Brickleman IV was standing there with Cecily on his arm and she barely managed to keep her smile in place when Calli and Julian walked in.

"It's lovely to see you all," Calli said sweetly. "Congratulations on your marriage, Lady Cecily."

"Thank you," Cecily bit out. She looked like she might choke when she added, "Your Highness."

She dipped into a stiff curtsy and Calli resisted the urge to pat her head and call her a good girl. Julian just looked uncomfortable but Cecily seemed to be doing her best not to look at him.

"Well, why don't Your Highnesses get settled into your rooms, and then we'll have some dinner, hm?" Governor Brickleman suggested. Calli took Aurora's hand and they followed a maid to their guest room.

"This might prove to be an interesting trip after all," Calli said.