Status: comment and subscribe!

Full Time Job

"It's not funny, Rick!"

I had woken up and I could see the sun hitting low on the windows in the cell block, and I knew it was almost sunset. I sat up in bed and stretched, the pain in my wrist was dulled slightly as I climbed from the mattresses and unclipped my hunting knives that Daryl made me take that I didn’t realize were still clipped on my belt as I slept. I set them high on the perch counter, out of reach of Vinny with the small collection of Daryl’s guns. I changed back into my leggings and walked out of the silent cell block and to the prison yard where everyone was sitting around the picnic tables and chairs that we had set around our home-made stone grill that Carol was manning, the smell of cooked venison was wafting through the area that was lit by a few fire pits that surrounded the concrete patio. The sun was starting to go down and the sky was painted in brilliant pinks and oranges. Vinny saw me walking towards the table near Carol and the barbeque pit where he, Daryl, Beth and Judith, Carl, Hershel and Rick were sitting around. Vinny crashed into my legs when he reached me and I knelt down and hugged him tightly.

“Hi baby,” I said sweetly to him and he grinned at me.

“Hi Zia, can I kiss your boo boo?” he asked and I smiled and nodded and he pecked my wrapped wrist lightly.

“It’s much better now, thank you. Have you been a good boy for Daryl and Bethy?” I asked and he nodded.

“Daryl got me a crossblow just like his!” he said excitedly and I started cracking up.

“A crossbow?” I corrected him and he grinned and nodded. “I hope you told him thank you…” I cooed down at him, and he smiled and hugged me again.

“I missed you today, Zia,” he said softly and my heart melted in my chest a little.

“I missed you too, baby,” I answered. “I’m not going to leave again for a long long time…” he brushed his fingers across my cheek as I knelt in front of him.

“Vinny, it’s time for me to flip the meat, you want to help again?” Carol called out sweetly and Vinny grinned and nodded before running towards her. I stood back up and before I could continue walking over to where my family was seated, Josh had approached me and smiled a gentle smile down at me.

“Hey, Gia, I just wanted to see how you were feeling,” he said softly and walked next to me as I continued to walk towards the table where Daryl was, and when I looked towards him he was watching me and Josh walking together with an eyebrow slightly raised.

“Oh, don’t worry, Josh, I’m just fine,” I answered and he smiled as we approached the table. He gently stopped me by holding my good arm.

“I was wondering, uhm, if maybe you wanted to eat dinner with me tonight?” he asked hopefully and I felt my cheeks redden immediately.

“Did you really just ask out Daryl’s lady right in front of him?” Rick asked playfully, looking over towards Daryl and at me. Daryl smiled slightly as I stood there, flustered.

“Oh, God, you’re with Daryl? I’m so sorry, I had no idea...” he started, his words rushed. “Daryl, no offense, man, I honestly didn’t know…” he started and Daryl just nodded.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it,” Daryl answered, standing up from his spot and pulling me back towards him after Josh awkwardly apologized again and walked off. I was so freaking embarrassed as I sat down next to Daryl who had kissed my cheek.

“Can’t blame him for trying, I mean, you are pretty fucking cute,” Daryl said quietly and I felt my cheeks blush pink as I pushed his face away from mine and avoided eye contact with Rick who was still chuckling at me.

“Rick, it’s not funny…” I dismissed and he started laughing again.

“It’s very funny…” he responded and I shook my head and was happy to see that Michonne had returned from her latest excursion and sat down and joined us at the table. The attention shifted to her to my relief and I felt Daryl’s hand rest on my thigh beneath the table. I caught his gaze and he smiled at me and leaned forward to kiss my lips again.

“You don’t really understand how beautiful you are…” he said playfully and I shook my head, blushing again.

“Stop it you,” I answered in a light tone and he squeezed my knee that his hand was resting on.

“Think I’m going to ask Beth to put Vinny to bed tonight, I need some alone time with you,” he grunted quietly in my ear and I blushed again and leaned over to whisper in his ear this time.

“Are you sure you’re not just trying to do the guy thing and mark your territory because of what Josh just did?” I asked and he smiled at me.

“Maybe…”

“Secrets aren’t any fun,” Maggie teased at us as she walked by and squeezed in around the table, pulling up a camp chair on the end with Glenn.

“G, I heard you’re wrist got hurt today, you feelin’ okay?” she asked and I nodded.

“Yeah, I’m alright, just a little sore,” I answered and smiled at her. Vinny ran back up to me and Daryl helped him climb up onto my lap where he sat and played with the few small toy cars that were already resting on the table. Carol walked over and leaned down to talk quietly with me.

“Ya alright, sweetie?” she asked, looking down at my wrist.

“Yeah, I’m fine…” I answered and she nodded.

“Good, Thank God… I just wish that we could have found out more about him before Josh killed him. I wanted to let you know that what he said wasn’t true, I was aimed to shoot him right in the head if he hurt you any further, you know that, right?” she started and I nodded a little.

“It all happened so fast that I can’t really remember what happened, to be honest…” I answered. “He came out of absolutely nowhere. I wonder if he was there the whole time or why the hell he grabbed me…”

“Because you’re smaller than he was…” Daryl answered and Carol smirked before patting my shoulder and going back to the grill.

“Daryl, I’m smaller than most people,” I teased and he smirked and shrugged. The group went quiet as Rick started to call everyone quiet as he gave his typical state-of-the-union talk when we all ate together as an entire group, usually once a week.

“Hey everyone, I’m hoping you all are doing well,” he started, speaking loudly for everyone to hear.

“We are hoping to have Dr. S up in running in Block A, hopefully by tomorrow. Daryl and I are hunting tomorrow, so we could use one or two more guys with us, we’re leaving at dawn. We’re also going to need bodies out on the fence, clearing walkers. Please watch carefully if you exit the yard to move the bodies to the fire pits… remember to always have groups of three when clearing.” He was looking over a list that he had scrawled notes on and looked back around at the group before reading again.

“Tyrese and Sasha are having another run-through on how to handle firearms on Friday, and if you haven’t gone yet, the Council really would like for you to go. Talk to Sasha or Tyrese if you have any questions on that.” He said and I glanced towards Sasha who smiled warmly at everyone.

“We’ve had a couple complaints from Blocks D and F that the shower pump barrels aren’t being filled after emptied, so if you shower and use the rest of it, either take it down to the pump by the east fences and fill it or tell your Block leader and they will assign someone to do it.” he started and Vinny tucked his head under my chin as he watched Rick speak in front of the large group of prison newcomers and went over a few other points before telling everyone that they had any ideas, questions or concerns to talk to a council member. We started eating shortly after, and I had cut up my piece of deer steak into tiny pieces and shared my plate with Vinny, who insisted on dipping his in ketchup, which was hard for me to squeeze out of the tiny packages with one hand, as the other was wrapped in bandage and Daryl smirked and helped me.

“Lemme help you with that, Princess,” he teased and I returned his smile.

“Tell Daryl ‘Thank you,’” I whispered down to Vinny and he quickly thanked Daryl sweetly.

“You’re welcome little man,” Daryl responded, ruffling his hair lightly as he chewed. As people finished eating, the group sitting around our table dispersed, and Rick took Judith so Beth would finally eat and I was still trying to get Vinny to eat more as she sat down next to us and started eating.

“Beth, I got you something today,” I said excitedly and she looked over at me quizzically as she chewed.

“What is it?” she asked with her mouth full and I smirked and shook my head.

“It’s a surprise,” I answered and she sniggered and smiled after she swallowed the bite she was chewing.

“Well, Thank you, you didn’t have to get me anything,” she said sweetly and I returned her smile.
“I didn’t have to, but I wanted to…” I answered and she smiled again as she ate.

“Bethy, will you read to me tonight?” Vinny asked and she smiled and nodded. I looked over at Daryl and shook my head at him sarcastically, giggling a little.

“Did you tell him to ask her that?” I teased and his eyebrows raised in surprise before he started cracking up and shaking his head. Vinny laughed with Daryl, having no idea what we were laughing about and his adorable little chuckle made all of us, me, Daryl, Vinny and Beth, start laughing together. When we had eventually calmed down Daryl shook his head, smiling.

“No, I didn’t…” he answered and Beth raised an eyebrow towards me.

“Earlier, Daryl told me he was going to ask if you wanted to maybe put Vinny to bed tonight so Daryl and I could go for a walk or something,” I explained and she nodded as she chewed another bite and swallowed quickly.

“Yeah sure, that’d be fine,” she answered before popping another piece of meat in her mouth.

“Daryl, do you know where all the stuff that we got today is?” I asked and he nodded.

“I brought a box upstairs while you were asleep, it’s on the top shelf of the office wall…” he answered and Beth giggled.

“No wonder she didn’t see it,” she teased, chewing her food and I laughed.

“Beth, we don’t talk with our mouth full,” I scolded her playfully and she rolled her eyes and Vinny repeated me, trying to sound authoritative. She nodded down to him and swallowed her bite before speaking.

“I’m so sorry, you’re right, Vinny…” she said lightly and he nodded.

“It’s okay, Bethy…” he said sweetly.

After Beth had finished eating, I finally gave up and Daryl ate the few remnants on Vinny and I’s small plate and we walked back to our cell block together. Vinny ran over to Rick and Carl who were playing cards at the table and he climbed up onto Rick’s lap, which Rick didn’t mind at all, actually, he was smiling down and chuckling at Vinny who was pointing at the cards in Rick’s hand.

“Can you get that box down for me?” I asked Daryl and he smirked and nodded and followed me up the metal stairwell and I sorted through the box, pulling out the pens and journal I had gotten for Beth and slung my backpack over my shoulder. I stopped by and tossed my backpack to Maggie, grinning at her as we walked by her cell as she was reading lightly, waiting for Glenn to return from his nightly perimeter walk. She returned my smile and called out a thank you as we continued walking.

I approached Beth’s cell and knocked on the iron door frame and she looked up as I walked in. I handed her the journal and pens and her face lit up.

“Oh my God, this is so pretty, G,” she said excitedly and bounced up from her bed and gave me a tight hug. “Thank you so so so much!”

“You’re welcome… thank you for helping me so much with Vinny,” I answered and she shook her head and waved her hands at me dismissively.

“I love Vinny, it’s not like a task for me, I want to be around him…” she answered and I smiled and hugged her again.

“We’ll be back in a little while, okay?” I said, glancing back towards Daryl who was waiting patiently, leaning against the door frame. Beth nodded and started opening up the box of pens.

“Yeah, sure, have fun,” she said suggestively and I playfully popped the side of her head before walking out with Daryl, stifling a giggle. Daryl pulled my arm around his elbow, like an old fashioned escort, and we walked out of our cell block and Daryl started leading me through the dark corridors of the prison, stopping in front of a set of double doors that led to a small room that I had never been to yet.

“What’s this?” I asked and he smirked at me.

“Found this place the other day,” he answered and walked inside, handing me his flashlight as he pulled out a few candles from his bag and lit them.

“Candles? Wow, how fancy, Daryl…” I teased and he gave me a playful half smile as he pulled the flashlight from my hand and clicked it off.

“We use candles everywhere here, don’t think that I’m trying to be all romantic, Gia…” he retorted and I giggled and looked around the room, discovering that we were in some kind of lounge room, it had a few sofas and a counter with a sink. I sat down next to Daryl on the brown leather sofa and curled my legs up underneath me and snuggled into his shoulder.

“I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the guy that grabbed me today, I wonder where he came from, or if he was watching us the whole time?” I asked and peeked up at Daryl.

“His clothes and skin were filthy, I’m sure he’s been on his own for a while,” he answered and pulled my hand onto his lap. “I’m not worried about him, but what I am worried about is that Josh guy that asked you for dinner,” he teased and I shook my head and smiled at him.

“Why?” I asked, giggling a little at his expression.

“Because, he’s been staring you down all day and I don’t know, maybe you’ll like him better than me,” he answered and I shook my head and smirked.

“I love you… I won’t like anyone else better than you…ever…” I said sweetly and he smiled and kissed my cheek. I pulled his chin over to mine and lightly pressed my lips against his, feeling his beard stubble on my palm. I felt him nudging me backwards on the sofa as our lips moved together and my breath started to hitch slightly when he ran his tongue along my top lip and I smirked a little into his kisses. I wrapped an arm around his strong shoulders, the other resting on his chest and beginning to unbutton his shirt. We hadn’t been alone together like this in a very long time and an unfamiliar nervous sensation was coursing through me as he slid out of his shirt and I returned my hands on his bare chest, running my fingertips over his collarbones as he continued kissing me. I felt him lift the hem of my shirt over my head and I wiggled out of it and he pressed his lips against the top of my shoulder as he nudged me back down to the sofa, laying on my back as he slightly hovered over me, his hands running up and down my torso and I unsnapped my bra and pulled it off of my shoulders and he groaned a little before kissing sloppy kisses down my chest and dragging his tongue along the thin skin of my breasts and nipples.

“Mmmm, Daryl,” I moaned out softly and he moved his face back to mine and kissed me with more passion as our skin and bodies ran against eachother, he quickly pulled my leggings and panties down my legs and leaned back slightly, looking down my body.

“I love you, baby girl,” he said, his voice sounding a little strained and I moaned back an I love you in response as his hand traveled between my legs and his fingertips started to tease and run small circles around my sweet spot, the stimulation on the tiny bundle of nerves that hadn’t been touched in so long caused my body to tense and my back arched uncontrollably. He slid one of his fingers inside of me and I gasped and whimpered slightly in pleasure as he pushed it deeper, curling it before pulling it back out again and repeating his teasingly delicious cycle.

“You’re already so wet for me,” he groaned a little as I felt my hips moving with his slow rhythm. I ran my fingertips down his abdomen and over his belt, down further to his erection that was bulging in his pants and wrapped my hand around his thickness and stroked it softly through the fabric of his pants and he groaned again. I tried to sit up to unbuckle his belt but he smirked at me and pushed me back down to the sofa with the hand that wasn’t working between my legs.

“Mmm, please, baby,” I whimpered in frustration and he bit his lip and started to push his finger a little deeper with each thrust. I moaned out louder at his slow, deep pace, feeling my muscles start to tighten a little as he was pushing my body close to climax. He abruptly pulled his finger and hand from between my legs and I looked up at him, playfully groaning in frustration and sat up this time ignoring his hand on my shoulder that he relaxed, moaning a little when I started placing soft kisses on his abdomen and tummy while unbuckling his belt as he knelt in front of me on the sofa. I finally got his belt unbuckled and I tugged his pants and boxers down his thighs and peeked up at him quickly before sliding his erection into my mouth, he was biting his lip and watching me intently, and as I sucked down and ran my tongue along his soft skin he moaned a little and moved his hand from my shoulder to tuck some loose hair behind my ear.

“Just like that, baby girl…” he groaned softly as I sucked him up and down at a steady pace, curling my tongue around his thickness and adding soft pressure around him with my lips. I continued this pace, loving that he let me be in complete control, just this once. I licked him from shaft to tip, curling my tongue around his sensitive tip and he inhaled sharply before I sucked him down again. I gripped him at the base with my small hand and ran it gently up and down to my lips and he lightly stopped me, smirking and laying me back on the couch and he climbed in front of my legs, holding my knees apart and he guided himself into me and I froze because the way he stretched into me was a little painful at first, because it had been so long, and he stopped after just putting the tip in and looked down at me in concern.

“Am I hurting you, baby?” he said quickly and I shook my head, breathing heavily.

“It’s going to hurt at first, just, do it Daryl, please,” I answered in a rushed voice and he pushed slowly and deep into me, until he was as far as he could go and the pain that I was anticipating didn’t happen, just intense pleasure and I let out a soft sigh as he pulled all the way out and pushed slowly back in again, and I whimpered slightly.

“That feels so good,” I moaned out, running my hands up and down his sides, biting my lip and looking up at Daryl as he continued his slow pace, he filled me and my body felt warm and I missed the way that he felt. He was looking down at me, his eyes travelled down my body and to our lower halves as he pushed in and out of me. He started to thrust faster and a little harder, and I started moaning more when he gripped my hips with his strong hands, pulling me harder onto his thickness.
He held my face and kissed my lips and pressed his forehead against mine, pumping his hips a little harder and faster and the warm feeling started to travel up my tummy, my body tensing around him and he groaned and pulled my hips hard against him as I climaxed, the tiny muscles between my thighs tightened and released around his hard erection in waves of pleasure.

“Oh, fuck, Daryl,” I moaned out and gripped his biceps tightly while he quickly started to pump his hips against my body, still tightening and releasing as he slid quickly in and out of my super-sensitive post orgasm body.

“Mmmmm, you like that, baby girl?” he asked as he pounded in and out of me, his face contorting in pleasure as I let out a moaning squeal, slightly pushing his abdomen back with my fingertips as it was almost too intense for me, and he groaned and pulled my wrist that was pushing his tummy back and pinned it to the sofa above my head, before thrusting roughly a few more times, and I felt like I was going to burst and he quickly hit his own climax, his member throbbing inside of me as he let out a light string of moans before kissing my wrists that he was holding sweetly.

“I love you,” he whispered down to me, smirked and kissed my lips.

“I love you too…”

He pulled out of me and I let out another soft moan, and he leaned over and pulled a small bit of fabric from his pack and cleaned me up before pulling his pants back on. I dressed also and after I had pulled my shirt on, he yanked my hips down to his lap and pecked my lips again.

I rested my head in the crook between his neck and shoulder and he ran his fingertips lightly up and down the small of my back as we sat together in a non-awkward silence for a few minutes.

“Daryl?” I asked hesitantly, our conversation from earlier that day flooding back into my mind.

“Yeah, baby?” he answered and yawned.

“So, today, when you thought that pregnancy test was for me…” I started and he raised an eyebrow at me as I continued speaking. “I was just thinking, ya know, like, not now, but some day, I kind of do want to have kids… with you…” I said, blushing a little and he smirked.

“Gianna… if the outbreak never happened, and we had doctors and hospitals and no flesh eating monsters taking over, I wouldn’t want no one else to be the momma of my babies,” he grinned, his tone light. “It’s just not safe for babies, I don’t know if I could keep you, Vinny, another baby, and myself all safe out there…”

“We’re safe in the prison…” I said and he smiled again and kissed my lips.

“We will never know what happens tomorrow, sweetheart.”

“We wouldn’t know even if the outbreak never happened…” I answered, feeling a little upset at his attitude towards this. He was quiet for a few minutes, in thought.

“Let’s just wait a little bit, this place isn’t near as safe as it could be, we’re still building…” he said and I blushed a little as I nodded and replaced my head on his shoulder.

“So, would you be mad at me if I did get pregnant? I mean… you’re not exactly taking any precautions to prevent it, Daryl,” I teased and this time he blushed pink.

“Hush, you…” he said, tickling my sides a little. “I would never be mad at you… I love you.” I sighed, content, and sat with him for a little while before he yawned again.

“We better be getting back,” I said, sliding from his lap and stretching as I stood up in front of him. He nodded and stood up also and he extinguished the candles in the room and clicked on his flashlight and we walked back to our cell block in the silent prison. The cavernous room was quiet, save the sounds of light snoring and deep sleep breathing and I followed Daryl up the metal stairwell and saw Vinny sleeping soundly as Daryl set the lit flashlight on the desk in the perch. We silently changed and climbed into bed, protectively on each side of my nephew like we always did.