Status: Finished! ❤️

Hurricane

TWO

A couple weeks went by. I still thought about him all the time, but I'd also had enough time to argue heatedly with myself and come to the conclusion that I was being insane and there was no way what I thought I was feeling could be real. I didn't know his name, I didn't know anything about him, and I was probably never even going to see him again, and I was trying to force myself to accept those facts. I was being crazy. I'd been caught up in the music and my mind had gotten a little too over-active. That's what I was trying to convince myself, and for the most part, it was working. Until, that is, he came into the boutique I worked at.

One hundred percent honestly, I didn't even recognize him at first. He looked much different out from behind his drums. Less crazy, less like a wild animal. When I finally did recognize him, my heart almost jumped right out of my chest. He browsed around a little bit and then brought a few pairs of jeans up to the counter. I refused to make eye contact with him; my brain was screaming about how much I needed to let whatever feelings I had go.

"You were at the show a few weeks ago," he murmured, his voice low and raspy. My eyes involuntarily flicked up to meet his. My breath completely left me as I looked at him. His eyes were like light brown glass, smooth and clear. He smirked just slightly as I stared.

"Yeah," I said, almost whispering. He smiled full-on then, showing me all of his brilliant teeth. A chuckle rumbled in the back of his throat.

"Do I have something in my teeth or something?" he asked, teasing clear in his voice.

"No," I whispered, cursing myself for being so gooey just because of a guy. I'd never been that way before. Usually I was much more outgoing. I'd initiated every relationship I'd had before then. I was not a shy girl, and it wasn't usually so hard for me to get words out.

"You're very cute," he said matter-of-factly, and I felt myself instantly blush. "There's another show tonight. Wanna come?" he asked, and I could barely nod. He grabbed a pad and pen off of the counter, wrote something down, and slid it across the counter. As clumsily as possible, I finished selling him his jeans. With another brilliant smile and a 'see you later, cute girl', he was gone. I picked up the pad with a shaking hand. There, in messy scrawl was his name and phone number.

"246-373-4252

Looking forward to seeing you stumble over yourself more.

Shannon."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I couldn't believe it. Just as soon as I finally convinced myself it was nothing, there he was, calling me cute and giving me his phone number. I didn't know what to do. Obviously he was at least a little interested, but the last thing I wanted was to get in too deep on my end and then get my heart broken. I knew that was ridiculous, after all we didn't even know each other at all so there shouldn't be any heartbreak involved anyway, but there I was thinking about it. I almost convinced myself not to go, but my negative side wasn't quite strong enough that night.

I called his number from a payphone just before walking into the club, just to see if he'd answer. He didn't. Figured, I guess. He didn't even have an answering machine. As I walked in, the environment was even more electric than the first time somehow. I made my way to the bar, and once I got there, there was a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Jared beaming at me. He pulled me into a hug like we'd been best friends forever.

"Evangeline!" he exclaimed. "My brother has a crush on you!"

"Your what?" I asked, and he laughed, low and genuine.

"My brother, Shannon. My band's drummer," he said, the smile never leaving his face.

"He's... your brother?" I asked, and Jared nodded firmly.

"Sure is, and like I said, he's got the hots for you. Bigtime. In fact-," he began, and was cut off by a hand covering his mouth. Shannon appeared behind him, his cheeks ever so slightly tinged with pink.

"Hi," he said, and I giggled.

"Hi back," I replied. Jared yelled something about mingling and was gone in the blink of an eye, leaving Shannon and I standing there staring at each other.

"What did he say?" he asked, gesturing off into the crowd in the general direction that Jared had disappeared.

"Mostly just that you have a crush on me," I said, trying to keep a straight face. He smiled, shaking his head.

"I hate him sometimes," he said, and I couldn't help but let my heart drop a little.

"Is it... not true?" I asked.

"Oh, no. It's true. I just wish I could've been the one to tell you," he said, and I thought I was going to throw up.

We talked a little more, getting more and more comfortable together. Much too soon he was called to stage for the show. As he walked away, I managed to scribble my phone number on a napkin and slip it in his pocket.

"Goodbye, Evangeline," he said as he turned to walk away, and I don't think I'd ever been so happy with the way my name sounding coming off of someone's lips.

"Bye, Shannon," I said, and he turned briefly to shoot me a wink.