Status: Currently under edit; so if things seem off thats why.

Winter Nights

Great Unknown

They say when you die, your entire life flashes before your eyes in a kaleidoscope of memories, all bunched together; in order; and the feelings you had all come with them. Well, that’s what happened when my full powers were regained, except I wasn’t dying and it wasn’t my entire life I was seeing, it was every single memory I had with Kaleb. Starting from the point I first met him, and ending with graduation when he ended things and walked away one last time, taking my memories with him. Everything in between came through as well, our laughs sitting together with Sophie at the lunch table, skipping classes together and sneaking off to our favourite place in the back of the school, our first kiss in the pouring rain after the very last football game of the year. Even prom had come back to me, the look of amazement as I came down the stairs in my red flowing dress, and we danced the night away in each other’s arms never wanting to let go. From the beginning, to the end and every little moment in between all came back, in a single moment; leaving me with the feeling they had. All the breathless, wonderful moments, caught up in a single memory.

“We were…together?” I turned to Kaleb after my memory had been recovered.

“Yes, we were.”

“Why did you end it?” I shook my head and felt the tears well up in my eyes, everything had all come back and I had felt like I missed out on so much.

“I couldn’t have you get hurt.” He said taking his hand in mine. “I couldn’t risk losing you.”

“But you did lose me, when you erased my memory, when you drove me away. You did lose me.”

“At least you were safe, I’m sorry I had to end things like that. But, where here now; together and you have your full powers. And we need to move on; we have things we need to take care of.”

I sighed, knowing that this conversation wasn’t going anywhere else at the moment. He was right; we did have many things to take care of.

“What do we do next?”

“We get out of this field for starters.” Kaleb said glancing up in the sky and noticing that the snow was starting to come down much harder than before; indicating a storm was about to begin at any moment.

I agreed and had turned to leave that field but had a moment of bravery and turned to Kaleb and kissed him gently.

“It’s not the rain, but it will do for a second first kiss.” Kaleb laughed as we parted and glanced at each other still smiling.

“Second, second kiss technically.” I laughed recounting the first time he had kissed me just a few days ago.

“Touché”

Just then I felt a feeling of dread within me, I could sense that something bad was about to happen at any given moment. Without a single second thought and without Kaleb I turned and began running away from that field, the fear only growing stronger with each step I took.

“Faith! Where are you going? Why are you running?” Kaleb screamed after me and I ignored it and kept running; not knowing was bound to happen next but also knowing that it wasn’t good.

I was gone from the field within moments and found myself on a long highway, the night was still young and the road was dark. I looked up and noticed that a street light had gone out and the others were flashing indicating that soon they would do the same.

Hearing a strong crunch from the forest I turned on my heal and saw Kaleb approach me from the bush, I was panting strong now from the running and I was scared.

“What’s going on Faith? Why did you run like that?” He asked me getting closer and putting an arm around my shoulder. “You’re standing in the middle of the highway, let’s move before a car or something comes.”

“I think…I think that, he’s coming back.” I panted as Kaleb eased me to the side of the road. “And soon.”

And with that the street light that was blinking had gone out, there was a fog that was slowly starting to approach us from down the highway.

“I’ve seen this before.” Kaleb replied, not showing an ounce of fear. “We need to get out of here.”

He grabbed my hand and we ran down the highway until we had reached a small town, and ran into a gas station.

I grabbed a bag of Doritos and handed them to him nodding and he snatched a chocolate bar; we made our way over to the cashier and Kaleb handed him some change from his wallet.
We turned to leave the store when I heard something come from the cashier, 'they'll be dead before morning'.

I turned around and eyed the man down, glaring at him. "Excuse me?"
"I never said...anything?" He replied confused, then his eyes suddenly turning a pitch black color full of evil. I blinked for a moment and took a second look, his eyes going back to normal.

"Oh, sorry; I thought I heard you say something...have a good night." I gave Kaleb a look of fear as we exited the store and made our way outside again.

"What was that about?" He asked me.

I frowned. "I thought I heard him say something...or should I say; think something."

"You read his mind?" Kaleb replied excitedly. "That's good then, your powers are taking full force."

"Yeah..." I replied, shivering from the cold. "We need to go somewhere; I'm so tired."

"There's a hotel right over there, let's check in for the night and we'll continue this in the morning."
I nodded sleepily, agreeing 100% to that plan.

***

I awoke in the morning around probably 8 AM, I scanned the room and peaked over at the other bed that Kaleb had fallen asleep in and noticed he was no where to be seen. I grabbed my phone and checked it briefly, no texts from him either.

That was strange, I thought to myself. Where could he have gone so early in the morning? He never let me know either.

His bag lay open on the floor and his clothes from yesterday still laid in a heap next to the bed, so clearly he had gotten dressed and gone somewhere.

Two seconds later after my panic and worrying, the door flew open and Kaleb stood there smiling with two take out bags from McDonald's and some coffee's for us both. He plopped them down on the table next to our beds and handed me the coffee.

"Cream and sugar, half hot chocolate correct?" He smiled as I took a sip.

"Correct." I grinned from him remembering what I liked in my coffee.

"Good, I hope you like pancakes!" He laughed handing me the bag of food and sitting down on his bed across from me.

"I love pancakes! So, how early did you even get up?" I asked curiously opening the plate of pancakes and drowning them in butter and syrup.

"Whoa, want some pancakes with that syrup?" Snickered Kaleb eyeing down the gooey mess I was about to consume. "And I've been up since probably 6 am, I was hungry and didn't want to wake you up. Eat up though; we have lots to do today."

"Like what?" I questioned with a mouthful of pancake.

“Oh you know, just saving the world.” He winked taking a bite of his breakfast burrito.

“That’s an understatement.” I finished up my pancakes and slid the garbage into the empty bag. “I feel gross; I’m going to take a shower.”

“I’ll be here.” Kaleb replied, downing his coffee quickly.

Stepping in the shower I turned the faucet on and let the warm water soak up my skin, I contemplated the past few days that I had experienced and what was next to come. I never thought that leaving my hometown would turn into such an adventure, or that I would meet Kaleb again. Everything seemed so surreal; it felt great to have a purpose in life again at this point. Especially after feeling so low for so long, it was only going to get crazier from here.

After a few minutes of washing up in the shower I turned off the faucet and watched as the water drained into the tub, I grabbed my towel I had hanging and wrapped it around myself and stepped out on to the floor.

The steam from the shower fogged up the mirror so I brushed some of it away with a single stroke and peered at the reflection of myself, suddenly a face started appearing from behind me and I jumped back startled.

I turned around and no one was there, I grabbed my chest trying to get my heart to stop from being so fast. I looked in the mirror again and noticed a pair of black eyes staring at me again; they obviously belonged to the demon.

“Why are you tormenting me?” I requested trying to figure out what was going on and why he kept appearing places. “First the gas station and now here.”

“Tormenting? Nah, just messing with you.” I heard his raspy voice inside of my head snicker, “Poor innocent gas station cashier…”

“Faith, who are you talking to?” Kaleb questioned approaching the door of the bathroom.

“I’ll tell you in a second, I’m almost done.” I told him quickly getting dressed and brushing my hair as fast as I could. I opened the door of the bathroom and stumbled out, looking in the bathroom for him once more.

“The demon keeps showing up everywhere lately, like he’s taunting me.” I explained to Kaleb telling him about what I saw at the gas station last night and just now in the bathroom.

“I hope he doesn’t know what we have planned…” Kaleb replied as he packed his bag up, getting ready to leave again. “I need to bring you somewhere today.”

I grabbed my bag as well and followed him out the door and outside the hotel; we stood there staring at each other for a moment before pulled out his father’s notebook handing it to me; it was on a nearly blank page with nothing but my name written on the top.

“What is this?” I questioned curiously.

“You need to write down everything you’ve experienced the past two days, we need to keep a record of your journey as a witch and the spells you learn and things you’ve accomplished. You can keep it for now.”

“Really, your dad’s journal, isn’t this pretty special to you?” I said taking it from him and thinking about what to write in it.

“Yes it is, but as a new witch we need to make a record of everything that happens from here on out. It will be very useful later on.” I nodded and put it into my bag for now, making a mental note to write in it later on today.

I looked at Kaleb momentarily, “So what now?”

“I need you to meet an old family friend of mine; she will fill you in more of what needs to be done to stop the demon.”

***

An old run down house in the middle of the country is where we ended up after a two hour bus ride, I fell asleep on Kaleb’s shoulder halfway through it and woke up to him nudging me slightly to wake me up.

“Did I sleep the entire ride?” I asked getting up to get off the bus. “Where are we?”

“About halfway through, and we are here finally.”

We knocked at the door and a woman in her mid-thirties opened the door and eyed down Kaleb before excitedly pulling him into a hug.

“Kaleb my dear, it’s so good to see you.” She smiled at me as she let us into the house, which was pretty much a mansion on the inside. A beautiful spiraled stair case and a glass chandelier really spoke the word ‘rich’ to me.

“Is this her Kaleb? My goodness you are just as beautiful as Kaleb told me you were.” I smiled and glanced at Kaleb as he blushed a deep crimson red.

“Aunt Meredith this is Faith.” Kaleb introduced us and she put out her hand and I reached out to shake it, right at the moment I touched her skin the slightest I got a strong feeling of emotions that had welled up inside her. She must have noticed my reaction because she took a step back from me and frowned.

“You can sense it too right?” She asked me.

“You lost your husband about a year ago, to a terrible car crash. He’s still here with you, he wanted me to let you know that he’s at peace; you don’t have to worry about him anymore.” I told her as I read more into the sense I had from her.

“Ah yes, that is correct. Thank you my dear, come in take your coat off. I’ll make you guys some coffee.” I stepped more into the house and took my coat off and placed it on a coat rack next to the stairs. Kaleb and I followed her into a very large kitchen, I sat down at the table while Kaleb wandered around a little bit and looked at the photographs covering the walls and countertops.
“What do you take in your coffee my dear?” Meredith asked me pouring me a steaming cup of coffee.

“Just cream and sugar thank you.” I told her and she nodded reaching into the fridge to grab a container of cream.

Kaleb finally sat down at a seat across from me and took a sip of the coffee she had already poured for him.

“So, what brings the two of you by on this lovely winter day?” She asked sitting down taking a sip of her own coffee.

“Well I’m not sure if you’re aware but, the demon he’s sort of well…back.” Kaleb told her, starting off slow with the story not wanting to freak her out at all. “Faith here had just gained her full powers as you can tell, and we need to stop him; I know how but we need your help as well to figure out where to go next with this.”

“What did you have in mind about how to stop him?” She asked after taking in all of what Kaleb had told her, I just sat there in silence sipping on my coffee.

“Turn him back into a human, and lift the curse, and then kill him.” He told her and her eyes lit up in fear when he said it.

“I don’t believe that’s possible, maybe the turning him into human part; but I’m not sure about how we go about lifting the curse.” She said running her fingers around the brim of the cup, deep in thought about the whole ordeal.

I stood up suddenly, that strong feeling of dread and despair taking over me once more. Meredith eyed me cautiously before looking out the window into her large backyard, there was a man standing there just staring into the window at us.

“Who on earth is that?” Kaleb asked nearly shouting staring back at the man who started inching closer to us, turning and nodding to the left of him.

“It’s not the demon is it?” I asked Meredith trying not to show the fear that I had felt within me, she shook her head but was also scared.

“It’s much worse than him.” She muttered watching as more people began to join the man; I could sense the danger about them as they began marching nearly lifeless towards the house.

“What could be worse than the demon?” Kaleb asked.

“The vampire hybrids he created.” Kaleb gulped at that answer, like he knew what was to come now at this point.

“…the what?” I asked breathlessly glancing at Kaleb hoping he would explain more. He reached into my bag and pulled out the journal that I had shoved in there, searching until he found the page he wanted.

“The demon, he created these hybrid vampire things that destroyed our town and more. He must have sent them back here somehow to do the same. Don’t worry too much though; you and I are safe from turning into one. You’re a witch and I’m a traveller, we’re immune to the bite.” He told me.

“As well as you Meredith, you’re a witch as well so you’re safe too. But the rest of town isn’t.”

“How do we stop them?” I asked as he shoved the journal back into my bag; he got up and wandered to the door.

“Come here.” He extended his hand out to me and I cautiously got up and went over to him, he opened the door and walked outside, my hand tightly around his. “Concentrate.”

I closed my eyes and concentrated on getting rid of the hybrids, I wasn’t too sure what exactly I was concentrating on but a brief moment later a large ring of fire looped around them; they were unable to escape.

“Will this stop them?” I asked watching as they angrily tried to get out of the fire, but were unable to.
“It won’t stop them but it will buy us some time.” He said glancing at Meredith who watched in amazement at the whole thing.

“I wasn’t sure I truly believed that you were a full witch when you first came here today, but seeing that…I definitely know it’s true. You’re only going to get stronger with time, I could train you.”

“I would like that.” I smiled glancing at Kaleb who nodded.

“Have you taken her there yet?” Meredith asked Kaleb and I looked at him in confusion, wondering what she meant by that.

“To 2152, not yet; but I believe it is time now.” Kaleb replied taking the orb out of his bag and placing it in front of us.

And with that that familiar flash of white light draped over my eyes as I was transported into the great unknown.