Status: Currently under edit; so if things seem off thats why.

Winter Nights

~2152~

"Run!" Kalebs voice shouted from behind me, I heard bombs go off underneath my feet, and people screaming from all around me. I felt fear inside of me, and I tried so hard to run as fast as I could but my body wouldn't let me do so.

"What is this?" I shouted to Kaleb as I finally reached a safe place for the moment. "I thought the future was suppose to be better than this?"

He frowned kicking a rock on the ground, "Its because of the demon, I told you; he took over and made the world total chaos."

"You don't say." I replied sarcastically.

"We need to get out of here and make a run for it to those buildings over there." Kaleb said pointing to some tall buildings over off in the distance. "That's my apartment."

I nodded and he peered over the wall and looked out to see when it was safe to run over to the building.

"3...2...1... and now!" And with that we both took off and made a run for it, crossing over a small bridge over a stream; I turned around and seen that I was being chased by someone.

I ran as fast as I could and finally Kaleb and I made it into the apartment building, I was out of breath and panting more than I ever had before.

"Dammit, the elevator is broken." Kaleb muttered to himself. He looked over at me and shrugged his shoulders, "Stairs it is then."

Within moments of climbing the stairs we were up in Kalebs apartment, there wasn't much furniture residing it in. Just a couch, table and twin size bed in his room.

"Is it just you here?" I asked sitting awkwardly on his couch.

"Yeah, mothers gone to war and you know about my father."

"You're mothers in the war? That's pretty awesome..."

He snickered, "Yeah, she was chosen by the society to go to war, she didn't really have a choice in the matter."

"The society?" I questioned wondering where I had heard that before.

"They dictate what we do, where we go, who we talk to, our entire future is basically all up to them. You take a test at 17 and based on the results is what they decide for you." He got up and wandered around the room for a moment, "Except for me, I've been a traveler since my father died; my future is what I want it to be."

"I always would have thought the future would allow more... choices?"

"It could, eventually; if we stop the demon."

"We can turn him back to human, but how?" I asked him remembering what Meredith had said. "And why can't we lift the curse?"

"It's all a bunch of law mumbo jumbo, but I know there has to be a way around it."

"What are we doing here anyway, what's the purpose of you bringing me all this way?" I asked getting up off his couch and pacing around the room, watching Kaleb stuff his backpack with something.

"I need to tell you a story, about my father before he died."

"Alright, go on..."

"Well, when he first found out he was a traveler was when he was really young; probably when he was around 10 years old. He was playing out in the back field and a man approached him and told him to go with him and that he was destined for something big, my father being young and naive went with the man to a giant factory and there were 6 other young boys along with him. They were sent on a mission, and who ever came out alive from that mission would be the first traveler clan ever known." He told me, with a serious tone in his voice.

"What was that mission?" I asked, and Kaleb put a finger up to his lips indicating for me to hush for the moment while he explained more of the story. I nodded and let him go on.

"Once that mission was complete, my father and only two of the other young boys came out alive. His best friends Jimmy and Darren, they were the first in the traveler clan. Being in the traveler clan brought great perks to them, they were able to read minds; travel to wherever they wanted in time, and be immune to vampire bites. Years went by, missions by the traveler clan were complete and when my father was 21 another string of travelers were sent to be recruited. My father never wanted me to be a traveler, but when he died I became the third generation of travelers. That girl from your high school Samantha, she is as well; she's also from my time. Anyway, that's not important; I wanted to tell you that because there's another important part to this, every traveler is paired with a witch, either from the future or the past but you're my partner in all of this." He told me.

"Wow..." I muttered. "So, what next then?"

"Now, we fight. Together."