The Lost Ones

Forgotten

"Pardon me, my lord, but there is an infant among the captured waterbenders. What shall we do with it?" the Fire Nation General asked as she stood before her Commander-in-Chief. "To whom does this infant belong?" the Fire Lord asked.

"The Chief, sir. She is the Princess of the Water Tribes," the soldier replied. The Fire Lord was quite surprised, for he had heard very recently of the twin princesses birth in the Northern Water Tribe. He nodded and turned to his comrade, "Did you catch word of the good news, General? It seems even ones as low as the water scum can produce royalty."

"Yes, my lord. It seems the Chief and his daughter, along with a dozen other waterbenders, were on their way to the Southern Water Tribe. The ship was filled with food, textiles, and up-to-date literature. Our ships have everyone in custody. What are your orders?" Hotaru ended.

Ozai sneered, "Execution."

General Hotaru nodded, and bowed before she made her way out of the balcony on which they stood. The area was very spacious, as it led into the palace's throne room. Ozai was proudly looking over his nation when he heard the soft footsteps of his toddler joining him. He turned and let out a low chuckle as he picked up the two year old boy. Ursa, the Fire Lady, walked in not too long after her son.

"Have you decided what was to be done with the Water Tribe ship, Ozai?" her question was directed toward her husband, but she kept her gaze on the giggling boy, Zuko.

Ozai sighed heavily before letting his eyes rest on his wife. "You know it is what has to be done, my love."
Ursa remained silent, but her face turned grave as she mourned the losses of the people she was expected to hate.

____

"Oh, no, Katara!" cried one of the palace cooks. Miki picked up the four year old from the mess of flour on the kitchen floor, then placed the toddler on top of the counter, right next to the six year old Prince Zuko. The son of the Fire Lord offered Katara a cookie along with a shy smile, she happily accepted the treat.
"Now," Miki cleared her throat as she smoothed out any wrinkles on her apron. She made herself comfortable on a small wooden stool in front of the pair. "Does anyone know what day it is?"

"Story!" They both answered. Miki smiled warmly, she was always delighted to have them in her kitchen.
"Exactly! But today, I have a new story for you, my dear," she lovingly pinched the chubby cheek of the young waterbender. "Today, I am going to tell you the story of two princesses. Beautiful sisters from the Northern Water Tribe," Miki began. "When they were born, everyone was so happy, they celebrated for almost a whole week!"

"Yay, party!" Katara clapped happily.

"Yes!" Miki laughed, but then, her smile faltered, and her expression grew sadder. "But not long after they were born, the council decided it was time they helped their sister tribe. A lot has happened since," she paused to look around. When she determined no one was near by, she dropped her voice. "Since the war started, the Southern Water Tribe has been hurt badly. So, they sent one of their princesses, along with Chief Hakoda and a few more waterbenders, to the Southern Water Tribe. They were going to help restore the nation to it's true glory!" Miki stopped for a moment, her heart swelled with affection when her eyes landed on Katara's bright blue orbs. "What happened next, Miki? Did they help the Water Tribe?" she urged.

"A very bad man came to the South Pole. He was there before Chief Hakoda's ship even arrived, so they were captured. They left no survivors," her sullen face moved away for a moment. She lifted a napkin and dabbed at the corners of her eyes with a sniffle. When Miki turned back to the children, a smile adorned her face once again.

"But don't be sad, my moon and stars," she encouraged both of them, the Fire Prince looked on the verge of tears as well. "They say there were no survivors, but that is not what we believe. We believe that the princess is alive. And one day, she will return home, and help this war end once and for all. Because of her, we have hope."