The Lost Ones

Promise

`"Mommy?" the young Fire Prince called out, sure he had heard his mother's voice.

"Shh, my darling. Go back to bed," he felt the familiar stroke of his mother's hand.
"But what's wrong, Mom?" Zuko's eyes were half open. He yawned as he sat up.
"Zuko. I have to go, now. Something has happened and I can't stay here anymore. Shh, shh, no you must stay here. I know this must be very scary but you are so strong, my sunshine. You and Katara need to take care of each other, all right? Can you promise me that?"

Zuko was fully awake now, his heart racing as he struggled to remember every feature of his mother's face. Painfully aware this might be the last time he sees her, he took a fierce hold of her hand. The ten-year old boy clung to his mother, tears escaping his eyes, "You're the Fire Lady! Whatever it is, we can fix it. You won't have to leave .."

Her sad smile all but shattered his heart. "I'm afraid it's a little bit more complicated than that, my turtle-duck. But you will see me again, I swear it. It won't be long before we are reunited, and finally doing what's right. Just be strong for now, okay? And stay with Katara. You two need each other." Ursa pulled her son into a tight embrace, and gave him many soft kisses all over the top of his head.

Finally, it was time for her to go. She unwound Zuko's arms from around her waist, and gave him one last kiss.
Zuko watched her leave his room, close his door silently, then he heard the fading sounds of her muffled footsteps.

He did not go back to sleep that night.