Status: Complete!

Closer to the Edge

i n t r o d u c t i o n - g o t . t h e . j o b

*Natalia*

I got the interview through my friend Monty. I don't know how he heard about it, or even how he managed to get it for me. I wasn't going to go originally. I'd had plenty of jobs working with bands before. I usually didn't go for ones with bands I didn't know, though. Monty seemed stunned that I'd never heard of Thirty Seconds to Mars. I don't know how they'd managed to stay off of my radar, but they had. The only reason I did end up going is because Monty told me the payroll estimate that had been on the job listing and I absolutely couldn't resist it. He'd met them and told me I'd love them, so I went.

I walked into the conference room confidently, and was immediately taken down a few pegs because of how absolutely gorgeous the two men in front of me were. The first had long brown hair with just a touch of blonde on the ends. He had a friendly smile and the brightest blue eyes I'd ever seen. He was sitting straight up at the table, a stack of paperwork in front of him. The other was sitting much more lazily, nothing but a coffee cup in front of him. His chin-length dark hair was tucked behind his ears and there was a pair of thick black sunglasses on the table in front of him. He smiled, too, but in a much more reserved way, his bright hazel eyes sizing me up. Monty had told me beforehand that they were brothers, and it was easy to tell. Even though they were so different when you first looked at them, something about them was so synchronized that there was no way they weren't related somehow.

"Hi... Natalia. I'm Jared," the one with the longer hair and blue eyes stood, glancing down at his paperwork and then offering me his hand to shake. I did so, and the other one stood and introduced himself as Shannon. He offered his hand, too, but it was much more hesitantly.

The interview was pretty textbook, just questions about my experiences, who I'd worked with, how I handled tour, what I could offer as their perspective tour manager, questions about my own mannerisms and habits, stuff like that. Jared did most of the talking, but every once in a while, Shannon would jump in with something, catching me slightly off-guard every time. I suspected he was doing it on purpose.

When the questions were through, they thanked me for coming and said I'd hear back within the day, as they had to make a decision pretty quickly since a new tour started just a week from then.

I wasn't even back to my apartment yet when an unknown number flashed across my cell phone's screen.

"Hello, this is Nat."

"Hi. It's Shannon Leto."

It caught me off-guard yet again that he was the one calling. I was sure he was about to say they'd chosen someone else.

"Hi, Shannon."

"Looking at your experience and your references, we've come to a decision. You got the job!" he said it with more enthusiasm than I would've expected, and it made me involuntarily get excited.

"I did?" I asked, and he chuckled on the other end of the line.

"That's assuming you still want it?" he asked, and I could tell by his tone that he knew the answer.

"Yes! Of course I do!"

"Good. Meet us at our rehearsal space tomorrow at 10am. You can watch the band practice to get acquainted with the music and just hang out with us a while so we can get to know each other more. I'll text you the address."

"Alright, I'll be there."

"Great. See you then, Natalia," he said, and for some reason the way he said my name sent a singular shiver down my spine.

"See you."

The line went dead just as I pulled into my complex's lot. For some reason I couldn't believe that they'd chosen me. From what Monty had told me, there were a much bigger band than I'd ever worked with before. He told me I'd be in for a lot, and so had Jared in the interview. I was nervous, but at the same time ecstatic. Not only were they a much bigger band than I'd ever worked with, the Leto brothers were two of the most attractive men I'd ever seen.

"This is gonna be something else," I whispered to myself as I got out of the car. I couldn't have been more right if I'd tried.