Hannibal

We're in the waiting room and something ain't right.

Hannibal brought the little ones into the living room to watch a movie.
Penelope trailed behind him and said, "Daddy. I don't feel very good." She was swaying on her feet, looking ill. She moved to step forward, but ended up falling backwards.
Her head hit the coffee table and she was out cold.
"Penny!" Hannibal quickly set Frankie on the sofa and went to his other little one. "Penny?" Hannibal lifted her up. "Penny?" Hannibal turned towards his brother. "Hunter. Go get the phone and call 9-1-1!"
Hunter ran out of the room to get the phone.

-

The ambulance seemed to take forever. Frankie was crying and Hunter was trying to comfort him while still on the phone with the dispatcher.
"Is she gonna be okay?" Frankie sobbed.
"She'll be fine, buddy." Hunter shushed him.
Hunter could hear the sirens nearing. He told Frankie to stay put so that he could open the door.
Two men ran to the door with a stretcher.
They came over to Penelope and lifted her lifeless body.
"Can I ride in the ambulance? I want to stay with her."
"Are you her father, sir?"
"No. She lives with me though. She lives here."
"If you're not related we can't allow you to ride in the ambulance. I'm sorry, sir."
"What hospital are you taking her to?"
"Highland Park." The man responded. "We need to get her to the hospital." They quickly left the house and it was quiet between the three.
"Go to the hospital. I'll stay here with Frankie."
"Okay. Call Hannah. Tell here to come here. Call Four if you need him too." Hannibal grabbed his keys and was out the door in minutes.

-

Hannibal went to the front desk and said, "Um a girl was brought in by ambulance. I was wondering if I could see her."
"Are you related to her, sir?"
"No, but I know her. She lives with me. Please?"
"If you're not related then we are not permitted to let you through the doors. Feel free to wait. If she asks for you then we can send you back." The woman looked down at her computer.
"Can you at least tell me if she's alright?"
"I'm not supposed to do this, but what is her name?"
"Penelope Trent." He said quickly.
"She's in surgery. She hit her head and the back of her head began to bleed shortly after she came in. She is expected to make a recovery and be okay, but they had to go in to make sure nothing was critical." She read the report to Hannibal.
"Okay. Thank you so much."
"Feel free to wait, sir. If she does call for you then we are allowed to send you back."
"Thank you." He walked over to a chair and sat down. He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees.

-

Around 30 minutes later a couple walked in and went to the desk.
"Our daughter came in and they said she hit her head. Can we see her?" The woman said.
"What is her name? I will need some form of identification as well."
"Her name is Penelope Trent." The woman said and slid her ID forward. "I'm her mother Ellen. This is her father, Gary." He showed his ID.
Hannibal watched them show their IDs and get buzzed through the door. He felt sick.
Hannibal quickly pulled out his phone and called Theo.
He answered the phone and said, "Okay. Something must be serious. I've gotten a call from everyone in your family."
"Pen is in the hospital, T. She fell and she hit her head and I'm in the waiting room and her parents just got here and they let them through to see her. I don't know what to do, T." Hannibal was crying now. Wiping at his face and covering his mouth to stifle his cries.
"Breathe, Han." Theo said. "I'll take off and I'll be there soon."
"No. No. No. You need to get to Frankie. We don't need him freaking out. He needs one of us." Hannibal sniffled.
"Alright. I'll get home. I love you, Hannibal. She's gonna be okay."
"I know." He sniffled again. "I love you, T."

-

Penelope woke up and saw the face of her mother.
She mumbled.
She sat up and scooted away from her.
"What-"
"Honey. Lay back down."
"Why-"
"Be quiet. Just lay back down."
"Where's Hannibal?"
"What?" Her mother laughed at her.
"Where is he?"
"I don't have a clue what you're talking about."
"Hannibal!" Penelope shouted.
A nurse came in. "Ma'am. Why are you shouting?"
"I don't want these people in here." She pointed to her birth parents, trying to scoot further away from them. "I want Hannibal. I want to call him. Can I use a phone?" She asked. "Wait. I don't know his number." She looked panicked.
"Please. Get them out of here."

-

"Excuse me, Mr. Forester." The woman at the front desk said.
"Yes?" He stood up and walked over to her.
"Penelope is asking for you." She opened the door for him. "Oh god. Thank you."
She smiled. "Room 109!" She shouted after him.
He ran down the hall and found the room.
He opened the door and saw her parents sitting in the chairs next to her. A nurse was in the room and she looked at Penelope's parents.
"If she doesn't want you in here then you have to leave. She is of age so she's allowed to choose who is with her."
Hannibal walked over to the bed and sat beside Penelope.
She leaned towards him and hugged him, burying her face in his neck.
"What is this? Some kind of Stockholm Syndrome?" Her mother looked furious.
Hannibal looked at her.
"Ma'am I need you to leave the room."
"No! That is my daughter and I will stay here!"
The nurse looked to Hannibal and Penelope.
"She can stay. If she comes anywhere near me though, I will scream." Penelope said.
He mother looked angry.
Hannibal stayed on the side of the bed. He held Penelope's hand. He moved her hair so that he could see the tiny incision they made in the back of her head.
"Does it hurt?"
"No. I can't really feel it." She said quietly. "Is Theo going to come here?"
"No. He's staying with Frankie."
"What about Hunter?"
"I asked him to call Hannah and hopefully he did."
"I'm sorry." She mumbled. "I don't know what happened."
"Don't apologize, babe."
"Babe?" Ellen asked. "Why are you talking to my daughter like that?" She sounded disgusted. "Get out of here! Who even are you?"
"He's not going anywhere." Penelope grabbed his arm. "If anyone is leaving, it's going to be you." She glared at her parents.
Hannibal just grabbed her hand and said, "Don't get upset, darling."
Penelope took a deep breath.
"What are you doing with this man, Penelope?" Her mother asked. "Why did you leave in the middle of the night?" She sounded angrier and angrier with every word. "You left us and you're selfish!"
"Shut up!" Penelope yelled. "You don't get to act like you ever cared if I left or not!" Her face was going red. "You're a terrible mother and I should have left sooner!"
Penelope's father stepped closer and Hannibal held up a hand. "Do not come any closer." He warned.
"Or what?" Her father glared.
"I'm gonna kick your ass. That's what."
Penelope was a little shocked by the anger and vulgar word that came from Hannibal's mouth.
"Can you help me up? I need to use the bathroom." Penelope said quietly and looked to Hannibal.
He helped her out of the bed and walked her to the bathroom.
She went inside. She looked at Hannibal before she shut it and asked, "Can you ask Four to come here?"
"Yeah." Hannibal looked confused. "But why?"
"He's a doctor here, isn't he?"
"Yes." Hannibal seemed to realize what she was saying. "He's your doctor." He emphasized your.
"Yeah." She smiled. "Call him. Please."
Hannibal leaned forward and kissed her head.
"Go to the bathroom. I'll have him here in no time."
Hannibal let her shut the door. He turned towards her parents and leaned against the door.
"What are you doing to my daughter?" Ellen asked.
"I'm not doing anything." He said with a sigh. He got his phone from his pocket and asked Four to come to the hospital.
"I want you to leave and I don't want you to come back!" Gary yelled at Hannibal.
"I have the same amount of right to be here as you do." Hannibal said with an even tone.
Penelope walked out of the bathroom and walked back to the bed.
"When is Four gonna be here?" She asked.
Before Hannibal had a chance to speak, Four came into the room.
"Hey, darling." Four smiled to her.
"Hey." She held a hand out to him.
He walked over and held her hand. "How are you doing?"
"Good." She mumbled. She looked at her parents. "Those are my parents."
Her turned towards them.
He let go of her hand and held it out to her mother.
"I'm Dr. Forester."
"Hello." Ellen didn't accept his hand. She crossed her arms then looked to Penelope again. "Is this some kind of joke?"
Penelope looked at Hannibal. "Han. Can you come sit down?"
He smiled to her and sat on the bed beside her.
"Ma'am I need you to calm down. I was told that you've already been asked to leave." Four said.
"I am calm." She looked angry, but lowered her voice. "I just want this man away from my daughter."
"Your daughter is over 18, ma'am. She has a right to choose who can come into her room." Four spoke, sounding more professional than Penelope ever heard him sound. "Okay." Four turned to Penelope. "How are we doing in here?"
"Fine." She said quietly, looking to who she had come to know as her uncle.
"Are you feeling any discomfort or is the medicine still working?"
"I'm fine. Can't feel it." She said.
"Okay. The effects will last a while, but once they wear off, you should be able to leave."
"Like go home?" Ellen asked quickly.
"Yes. Like go home." Four responded. He looked to Penelope. "It is Penelope's decision on where she would like to go to though." He pointed out.
"That's not a question. She's coming home with us!" Gary yelled.
"I'm not going anywhere with you!" Penelope shouted.
"How about we step outside and let Penelope get some rest?" Four said.
Penelope looked scared. "Can Hannibal stay with me?"
"He can come back in a little bit. We're all going to step outside."
"Okay." She said quietly.
Everyone left the room and Four locked it with his security badge. Only other doctors could unlock it. You could also unlock it from the inside, but Four was sure she wouldn't.
"You need to leave your issues outside that room. Penelope isn't going to feel any better with people yelling by her bedside." Four said to his brother and Penelope's birth parents.
"You don't know shit!" Gary shouted.
"She is coming home with us!" Ellen shouted.
"Like I have already said. She has a decision on who she leaves with. She is an adult, ma'am." Four said evenly. He wasn't allowed to shout back at visitors, patients, or his co-workers.
Gary stepped forward and got in Hannibal's face. "There is no way in hell that she is leaving with you." He gritted his teeth.
Ellen turned and walked away.
"Well she isn't leaving with you either." Hannibal said.
"Hannibal. This isn't going to resolve anything."
Gary swung a punch when he thought no one was looking.
Four grabbed his arm and looked to him. "Do not throw punches in my hospital."
Gary looked shocked. He pulled his arm back and said, "We are going to leave here with her!" The anger quickly returned to him.
He stormed down the hallway in the direction his wife went.
"Can I go back in there now?"
"Five minutes." Four said, opening the door.
Hannibal hurried in and saw Penelope sitting near the top of the bed with her knees pulled to her chest. She was crying and shivering.
"Hey, darling. Everything is gonna be okay." Hannibal wrapped his arms around her and in turn she did the same. "Uncle Four is gonna stay here and make sure they can't get back in. I need to go home though." He explained, using his daddy voice. "Are you going to be okay without me?"
She gripped him tighter and said, "Don't want you to leave, daddy." She cried into his shoulder.
"I'll only be gone for a little bit, baby girl. I'll bring your panda so you can have it. Okay?"
She shook her head no. "I don't wanna be alone." She started coughing, because she was crying so much. "Daddy! I don't want you to go!"
"I know, sweetie. I won't be gone too long. I promise."
He had to pry her off of him so he could leave. "I'll even see if I can bring Frankie. Okay?"
She shook her head no. "Please don't go." She whined, pitifully. "I don't want you to go, daddy!"
"I'm sorry, darling. I'll be back very soon." He said with a sad face. "I love you very much."
"Dada please! Don't go!"
He left the room quickly.
"Take care of her. I'll be back soon, Four." Hannibal left quickly, getting more emotional as he left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Someone please correct me if I have already given Penelope a last name.
Title credit to Macklemore