Hannibal

Sad Penny

Hannibal decided to buy the baby monitor and set it up when Penelope was downstairs so she wouldn't be suspicious about it.
Hannibal adjusted the camera and made sure it was out of reach, but still able to see Penelope's crib.
Later that night Hannibal set the monitor for the camera on his nightstand. He made sure the feed was still working then went to kiss his kids goodnight.
He first went into Frankie's room. Frankie was laying down, sucking on a pacifier. His eyes were drooping.
Hannibal quietly walked over and lowered the bar on the crib.
Frankie looked at him with a tired smile. Hannibal reached a hand down and gently rubbed Frankie's face.
"Nigh' dada." Frankie said.
"Good night, my little prince." He leaned over more and kissed Frankie on the head. "I love you." He said as he raised the bar back up. Frankie smiled again.
"Lo' too, dada."
Hannibal left the room with a smile. He then went into Penelope's room and saw that she was in Theo's arms, fighting off sleep.
"Don't wanna go to sleep, papa." She whined.
Hannibal leaned on the door frame.
Theo sighed as he looked over at the door.
"Wanna see if you can resolve this?" Theo asked. He looked just as tired as Frankie.
"Yeah. Go get some sleep, babe." Hannibal took Penelope from his husband. He kissed him on the lips and said, "Goodnight."
"Night. Love you two."
"Love you." Hannibal and Penelope said in unison.
Hannibal looked at his baby girl and could tell she was tired.
"Don't wanna sleep." She said quietly.
"Can you try for me?" Hannibal asked her.
"Scared." She looked like she was about to cry.
"What are you scared about, honey?"
"Bad stuff." She rubbed at her eyes. Hannibal kissed her cheek and picked up a pacifier off the changing table.
Hannibal then walked over to the rocking chair they had in the room. He sat down and offered his little girl her paci.
She took it, didn't put it in her mouth, but still looked as if she wasn't going to sleep.
"What will help you get to sleep?" He asked her.
"Not tired." She mumbled.
"What's bothering you, baby? I can't help if you don't talk to me."
"I'm scared."
"You gotta tell me what you're scared of."
"Lotsa stuff. Lotsa people."
"Nobody is gonna hurt you here."
Her lip wobbled at that.
"I promise you that if someone ever lays their hands on you again, I'll be very cross."
"Don't wanna get hurt again."
"Never again, sweetie. It will never happen again."
"I. I wanna sleep, but I have bad dreams."
"That's okay. You can always wake up me or papa if you need anything."
"I know. It's just bad sometimes."
Hannibal sighed then kissed her head. "Can we at least try to get some sleep?"
"Yeah." She said quietly. She sat up and put her pacifier in her mouth. Hannibal stood and brought her to her crib.
"I love you, baby girl." Hannibal said as he kissed his little girls head.
"La you too." She said around her paci.
"Goodnight, princess." He raised the bar on the crib and gave her one last comforting look before leaving.

-

Later that night, around 3 am, Hannibal got up to use the bathroom. When he came back be checked the baby monitor and noticed that Penelope was awake. She was very quietly laying there. He had to continue watching to make sure she was really awake. Hannibal went to her room and slowly opened the door. She didn't seem startled when he walked in her room and turned the lamp on.
She just looked at him with big eyes.
"How long have you been awake, sweetie?"
She looked sad then shrugged.
He lowered the bar on the crib.
He slowly picked her up and held her in his arms.
She looked so tired.
"Do you need a change?" He asked her.
She shook her head yes.
He walked over to the changing table and kissed her head.
He placed her down then went back to the bed.
He got her pacifier that had a panda attached to it.
She accepted it and put it in her mouth.
Her eyes were drooping.
He changed her quickly then picked her back up.
"Please tell me and papa when you need something, sweetie. We'll always come when you need us."
She just looked up at Hannibal as he spoke.
She could see that his words were true.
He sat down in the rocking chair for the second time that night and held his little girl in his arms.
She looked up at him with so much admiration. She never had anyone to look up to like that. Anyone.
She just looked at him sleepily.
He continued too rock in the chair and eventually, Penelope feel asleep.
He stood back up after a few more minutes of her sleeping. He kissed her head then laid her down in her crib.
He left the room with a smile.
He went back to his bedroom and laid closely to his husband.

-

When Hannibal woke up, he was happy to see that Penny was asleep through the screen. He got up and got dressed then went to her room. She was now awake and standing in her crib.
"Daddy! Daddy!" She bounced and reached for him.
He came over and lifted her up.
"Did you sleep good?" He asked her.
"Yeah. I had a dream about princesses!" She was so happy today.
Hannibal was glad that she finally got some sleep.
He laid her on the changing table and kissed her head.
"Can we play outside today?" She asked.
"Of course, honey." Hannibal changed her quickly then brought her to her dresser. She picked out a green shirt with dinosaurs on it and some short talls.
He dressed her and had to take a picture cause she looked absolutely adorable. He sent it out to the family group message then lifted his girl up.
"Can we go wake up Frankie?"
"Sure." Hannibal smiled at the girl.
She squirmed to be put down then ran over to Frankie's crib.
She reached through the bars and poked his face.
"Frankie." She whispered.
Theo had come to the door, but just stood there watching.
"Frankie. Wake up." She said to her older brother.
He stirred in his sleep and opened his eyes.
He gave her a smile and rubbed his eyes.
He sat up and looked to his daddies.
Penelope looked in the direction of them as well and ran over to Theo. He lifted her up with a smile.
"How did you sleep, baby?"
"Good. I had good dreams last night." She smiled as she hugged him. "And how did you sleep?" He moved his attention to Frankie.
"Good." The little boy said. "Wanna get out now, dada."
Hannibal came over and lowered the bar. He picked up the boy and kissed his cheeks several times.
Frankie giggled as he did so.
Hannibal brought the boy over to the changing table and got a new diaper. "Daddy?" Frankie was quiet.
"What, bud?"
"Wanna go see Hannah today." He said as he rubbed his eyes again.
"Yeah! Let's go see Hannah!" Penelope was happy to agree.

-

When we went downstairs uncle Four was there.
"Hey four. What are you doing here?" Hannibal asked him.
"Uh. Hunter is in the hospital again. He's done something really bad." Four looked like he had been crying.
"Um thanks. I'll see if Theo can clear his schedule so I can go see him." Hannibal looked like he was about to cry.
I squirmed and Hannibal gently placed me down. I quickly went into the kitchen and found Theo.
"Hey. Where's daddy?" Theo asked as he lifted me up.
I pointed to the doorway, but didn't say anything.
Theo just helped me into my highchair and said, "Well. What would you like for breakfast, sweetie?"
"Toast."
"French toast?"
"Yeah!" I smiled.
I watched him walk over to the kitchen area of the room. I looked at Frankie and he looked half asleep.
He didn't have food yet. He looked like he was about to pass out though.
"Frankie." I said to him.
He looked at me and said, "Huh?"
"Why you so tired?"
"Dinnit sleep good." Frankie told me quietly. It was like he didn't want Theo to hear him.
"What happened?" I asked him.
"Nothing bad. Jus coulnit sleep."
"Alright. Oatmeal for my prince and French toast for my princess."
"Thank you, papa." I said.
"Thank you." Frankie said with a yawn.
"No problem, babies." He sat down in front of us and helped both of us eat. When we were almost finished with our meals, Hannibal came into the room. He looked like he was about to cry.
Theo got up and hugged his husband.
I heard Hannibal start crying. Both me and Frankie were watching, not knowing what happened.

-

Hannibal came into the room with a small bag.
"Okay. So you guys are gonna stay here with papa. Okay?" Hannibal said to me and Frankie.
"Why?" I asked.
"I need to go see my brother." He sighed.
"Why can't we go with you?"
"Cause you just can't." Hannibal took a deep breath.
"Well that's not fair."
"Please, Pen. Just let me go without any argument."
"Fine." I said and looked away from him.
"I love you." Hannibal came over to Frankie and said.
"Love you too, papa." Frankie hugged him.
Hannibal knelt down beside me and said, "I love you, little one."
I didn't look at him. He gently ran a hand through my hair. I wanted to be mad with him. I wanted to go and he didn't understand that.
"I have to go." He sighed. "I'll see you later." He stood up and left.
I started crying the second he left the room.
Frankie quickly left then came back with Theo.
"What's wrong, sweetie?"
"Dinnit want daddy to leave." I sniffled.
Theo leaned forward to pick me up, but I scooted back.
He looked hurt.
I frowned deeper at that and just continued to cry.
"Okay. Well I'm gonna go make lunch. We can eat outside in the gazebo. Okay?"
Frankie looked at him and said, "Okay, papa."
I didn't say anything. I didn't want to eat and I didn't want to go outside. I wanted to sleep and I wanted my daddy.
"Can I come with you?" Frankie asked.
"Sure, pal." He lifted up Frankie. "Wanna come with us, Pen?" Theo asked me.
I shook my head and continued crying. I curled up on the sofa and my crying just got more intense. I was crying so hard I was gasping for air. I tried calming myself, but it wasn't working.
I focused on the coffee table, trying to stop myself from having a breakdown. I thought about the color of it and how it was made and where and I eventually fell asleep.

-

Theo came back into the room and felt a pang in his chest.
Penelope was curled up on the sofa, asleep, with tear tracks on her face. He knelt down and kissed her head.
She whimpered in her sleep and he sighed. Frankie came into the room and said, "We should let Penny sleep."
Theo smiled to his little boy and said, "Yeah we should."
Theo went back to the kitchen and got two plates of food.
He brought them back towards the living room and looked to Frankie. Frankie looked surprised that they were still able to go outside.
"She'll be alright, buddy. I think she just needed some sleep."
Frankie gave one last look at his sister then went to the door with his papa.
Theo was glad that he got some one on one with Frankie. He rarely got that anymore. Wherever one kid went, so did the other.
Theo let Frankie go on his play set after they were done eating. He happily watched the boy from inside the gazebo.
"Hey, Frankie!" He got the boys attention.
"Yeah?" He looked at his papa.
"I'm gonna go check on your sister. Can you be a good boy for me?" Theo asked as he walked out of the gazebo.
"Yeah, papa!" Frankie smiled and just continued playing.
Theo walked inside with his and Frankie's empty plates and saw that Penelope was still asleep.
It had been an hour. Theo went to the kitchen and cleaned off the plates then went back to the living room to wake up Penelope.
He moved some hair from her forehead and quietly said, "Penny. Wake up, sweetheart."
She took a second to wake up then looked at Theo with a sad expression. "No." Is all she said before covering her face with her arm. Theo stood up and said, "Let's go change you then we can eat and play with Frankie outside."
"Not hungry and I don't need a change."
"Don't lie to me, missy."
"Not lying." She sniffled.
"Okay. Well I guess I can give the strawberry milk I made to someone else."
She slowly moved her arm.
"But Frankie doesn't like shawberries, papa!"
"But I do." He challenged.
She pouted the moved her arm. She sat up and wiped her eyes.
"Come on." He lifted her up then carried her upstairs.
"When is papa going to be home?"
"On Sunday." It was currently Thursday.
"Okay." She said quietly.
"You're a brave girl." Theo said. "Do you think you'll be able to wait that long?"
"I'll try, papa." She said.
He laid her down on her changing table and got the stuff he needed. "No kiss?" She asked with a confused frown.
Every time Theo laid her down on the changing table he usually gave her a kiss on the head.
"I'm so sorry. I'm just a little distracted, sweetie." He leaned over and kissed her head with a smile.
She smiled back with sad eyes. He just continued on and snapped her onesie closed. She was only wearing a onesie and it was warm enough outside that she wouldn't need anything else.
He lifted her up when he was done and brought her back downstairs.
She laid her head on his shoulder and he walked to the living room.
"Can you be a brave girl and go to the gazebo so I can get your food?"
"Yes, papa." He set her down and opened the door. He kissed her head and sent her out.
He quickly went to the kitchen and grabbed her food and the promised strawberry milk.
He walked past the door and closed it with his elbow.
He walked to the gazebo and Penelope was quick to open the door for him.
"Thank you so much, sweetie." He smiled and set her food down on the table.
She gave a weak smile back and sat down.
He sat beside her and pulled her hair back from her face.
He did a quick braid and put a hair tie in her hair.
She silently ate her food then sipped her chocolate milk. She only ate half of the food on the plate and decided she was done. She curled up on Theo's side. "Do you think you could eat two more bites for me?" He asked.
She shook her head no.
"Okay. That's alright." He kissed her head. "Would you like to go play with Frankie?"
She turned and looked at him sliding down the blue slide. It was the tallest slide and it was twisty.
"Yeah." She said quietly.
He kissed her head again and said, "Go ahead."
Theo sat there and watched his little ones play.