Status: Completed!

Letters From You

prologue - the beginning

Shannon,

I'm not sure why I'm writing this email, honestly. I know you're probably never even going to see it. I guess I'm writing it because I'm having a shitty day. I just got dumped. You know why? He said I work too much. Like that's a bad thing. I guess that can't be the only reason, but I kind of tuned out after that. I feel like I just threw a whole year away. I wonder how long he knew that he was going to break up with me. I knew all along that it wasn't going to go anywhere real; that we weren't going to get married or anything, but still. I always figured I'd be the one doing the breaking up. Maybe that's shitty of me.

Anyway, I don't really know why I'm telling you of all people this, like you care. I know you probably don't. I guess it just feels good to throwing the information out there into the universe, even if no one ever picks it up.

I guess it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to mention that you're my favorite drummer. I've always wanted to pick up drumming myself, just never really had the opportunity. I can't believe I'm telling you this, but sometimes I spend nights at a time just scouring YouTube for videos from Mars shows from the stage to watch you drum. It's such an art, and you're so good at it. Thank you for being you. I'm going to stop embarrassing myself now, I think. Have a great day, Shannon.

Sincerely,

Ashton Valencia

~~~~~~~~~~


Ashton,

100% honestly, I'm mostly writing back to you because I couldn't resist it when I saw your name. Ashton Valencia? You sound like a comic book hero. Is that what you really are?

I'm sorry you got dumped. He's an asshole. You don't work too much, as long as you're making a living for yourself, that's all that matters. You've gotta hustle, you know? I'm sorry that you wasted your time. But at least there's a lesson to be learned. Don't waste your time on people that don't deserve it. I know I don't know you, but you're better than that.

I'm honored that you chose me to be the one that got to pick your information up out in that big old universe. I'm also glad that you like watching me play, it means a lot. Don't be embarrassed, it makes me feel all warm inside that you dedicate so much time to watching me do the thing that I love the most.

I do care, Ashton, just so you know. I know I might not be exactly who you want to talk to about stuff, but I care, and I'm here if you do want to talk any more.

Thanks for the email, and remember that you're a fucking superhero.

Shannon Leto