The Lost Journal

Prologue

He sat there and watched as she slept. There was nothing he could do to wake her up. I stood and watched him. He was so peaceful. He came around everyday, at least twice, to watch her sleep. I wished that there was something I could do for him; he was so sweet, caring, and innocent. If only she knew what he did, said, and thought as he watched her. I couldn’t stand it any longer, “Boy, would you like something to drink?”

“No ma’am.” Was all he would reply, “Do you think she’ll wake up before I have to leave?”

“All we can do is hope. You should be getting home right about now, though.” I’d answer.

“Yes ma’am, thank you for letting me come.” He would say as he bowed to me.

“Now, now dear, ‘tis no need to bow to royalty which bears no crown.”

“Yes ma’am.” So polite that little boy. He whistled for his shark, jumped in the water and sped off toward Tirta.

I closed my daughter’s door and went down the stairs to the kitchen hall. I called for Benji to get me a hard one. He politely replied to me, “Duchess tell me, if you were to begin drinking now, at only three past, what would the young man think when he came back after dinner?”

“Alright, alright, fine, get me that sweet drink that you make.” I replied.

“It’s called sweet tea, your courtliness. It comes from the south…” I stopped listening after the first ten million times I had heard the story. Don’t get me wrong, I love Benji, but sometimes you’d think he was a hundred years old the way he repeats stories. At that moment Adonis walked through the door. More so inched, for Adonis was an old man. Adonis was king of Iphigenia. A very well liked ruler, as well as envied by Zulashaka. Zulashaka was a country near Iphigenia. Their Queen Gunvor was a good ruler but, she was not better than the likes of Adonis. He was very tough and strong, of course ever since his wife, my mother, died, he hasn’t been the same. Adonis has a very strong sense of humor, give him the situation of death and he might say something like, “Death? I can’t die, then there wouldn’t be anyone to be me!”

“Father, he came again, the boy. He came to see her again. We hope to see him after supper.” I told him.

“I have already informed you that if that boy keeps coming she might never leave the palace again! He’s the whole reason my granddaughter is like this!” He said pointing furiously at my daughter’s door, “He’s nothing but trouble and if I ever see him in her room again I will personally escort him out of my palace!”

“Father!” I exclaimed, “He’s doing his best to make it up to us! And her! I don’t believe you would act in such a manner!”

“I apologize Duchess, forgive me. You are right, I would not normally act this way, I sincerely apologize.” He said calmly.

“It’s alright father, but please do talk to the boy. He may live in Tirta, but they still look up to you sire. Would you mind coming to see him after dinner?” I asked cautiously.

After a couple sighs and a session of pacing across the kitchen my father agreed to see the boy. I walked him to his room on the top floor of the castle, he talked about my mother all the way there. It took all I had inside of me not to cry. You see I never knew my mother; she died the following day I was born. Morana, I will never forget that name. Morana is the woman that killed my mother; Morana is a plague in herself. I have absolutely no clue as to whether she can control her powers. No matter what though, I will never forgive her and if I happen to see her, she has no chance of ever breathing again.

After the food was served the boy of course went to see my daughter. They played a card game all night, while Adonis paced outside her bedroom. I tried my best to calm him but nothing seemed to work. I decided to take my leave and sleep. Once to my bed, I sat and began to write this. Prepare for my daughter’s story, told by her journal. None of us had realized that this night that we have just lived, would be the last time I ever saw my daughter, or my family for that matter.