The Lost Journal

March 21st Negative 1987

When I awoke, Uzoma was already up, brushing her hair. I yawned to let her know I was up.

“Oh! Did you sleep well Taika?” she asked innocently.

“Yes, I hope the bed was comfortable enough.” I said.

“Oh yes, it was wonderful.” She smiled.

There was something odd about the way she replied. She’s made of water, there’s no way she slept. Water doesn’t sleep. I cleared my throat, got up, and went to my closet. Grabbing a blue, knee-length, dress I put it on and headed to the staff room with Uzoma. We met Benji and Castor there and planned a picnic for lunch.

“Alright, it’s settled then,” Castor said clasping his hands together, “We’ll meet after the fourth sun rises, on the plateau beside the Foreboding Wood, agreed?”

“Agreed.” We all answered. Benji and Uzoma went to prepare the food, leaving Castor and I with three hours of time to waste. We decided to go early and skip rocks in the spring. We flew on Alios, of course. We arrived with two hours and forty-five minutes to spare. Getting to the spring was an easy task, but we took longer than usual. As we were skipping rocks and laughing at one another I heard twigs snap about a quarter of a mile from us. Thomas appeared, anger raging through his bright sienna eyes. Oh no, sienna, he must have been hunting when he heard us. I saw blood on his bared teeth. Castor stood in front of me, his arms spread as to protect me. A low growl issued from both their chests.

“You two cut it out! You both can fight later tonight! Just stop it, okay?!” I shouted stepping in between them.

“Back up!” Castor growled.

Oh no he didn’t, was the first thing that popped into my head but now was no time for humor. Castor and Thomas have not tried to hide their hate for each other. They both put it out there like there’s no one getting hurt. Thomas has apologized for his behavior and he’s told me if I see something about to happen to run, but I can’t run anywhere in this forest, it’s too dangerous. The last time I went running through this forest alone I stopped to rest on a fallen tree and I saw my own death. The Foreboding Wood is very complicated, of course once seeing my death I began to run again thinking I had gone crazy, or I was hallucinating, but that’s not true. The Foreboding Wood shows you what will happen if you continue running. Sometimes it’s a good thing but most of the time it’s not. Most of the time the forest shows you death; your own, a friends, a family members, or even one that has already happened. The Foreboding Wood is a dangerous place and I’m not running through it alone. Thomas realizes this and tries hard to calm himself for my sake. It’s hard for him to do so, especially since he was just hunting. When he gets hungry there’s no stopping him, and when you can’t stop him people get hurt, and when people get hurt he disappears until he can live with himself again. I don’t want him leaving me now, or ever again, so I grab his arms and place them around my waist. I listen to his breathing ease a little and I know my touch is working. It’s something I’ve always been able to do to him, ease his pain and anger with only a touch.

“Please Thomas, stop. Just relax, remember?” I said as soothingly as possible, “You said we could hang out later right? Go home and I’ll meet you after lunch, okay? I promised to go on this picnic, we were just passing the time, it’s okay. You trust me, don’t you?”

He looked me in the eyes; his had changed back to their gorgeous magenta color that I love so much, “Thank you,” I said to him, “Now go home, and come up with a good excuse to tell your family okay? I’ll meet you on the border in a couple hours alright?”

He nodded and turned reluctantly to the direction he came, “We’ll settle this, Thomas, after the eighth sun has set!” Castor snarled as he walked away.

Thomas stopped and turned slowly, “I have nothing to settle with you, your Graciousness.” Thomas said, and turned to run.

Castor caught up with him and followed him, “Castor no!” I yelled. I know that Thomas can take him but I don’t want them fighting right now, Castor is the symbol and keeper of peace for Tirta, why can’t he be like that in public too? Knowing that I wouldn’t be able to catch up with them before the forest got to me or they killed one another, I began to run anyways. I was worn out after running for only ten minutes. I looked to the sky and it was almost time for Castor and I to be heading back so we could be on time for the picnic. Castor and Thomas being vampires, they could have already crossed the border. “What am I doing? I can’t run after them, I need to find Alios and head back to the palace.” I said out loud.

“Looking for me?” Alios purred behind me. He startled me and when I jumped I fell onto a stump from a tree that had died long ago. Preparing myself for what I might see, I put my hands on the sides of my head, these stupid visions cause pain to mortals but they give a vision all the same. I watched as the forest took me on the path I was running before, only in the vision I didn’t stop at this point, I kept running. After what seemed like an eternity I stopped and saw Castor, with a dagger in hand, run toward a defense less Thomas. I screamed and ran faster than I ever had before and jumped in front of Thomas just as Castor reached the area where Thomas was standing. The dagger struck me in the throat, de JA vu or what? When I had returned to reality I stumbled to my feet and got my bearings before I realized not only was this the second time I had seen my own death but, if that was my vision if I had kept running, then, that’s happening right now. My role being exempt from the scene which means…”Oh no! Thomas!!” I shrieked out loud. If I wasn’t there to stop the dagger then Thomas is going to be killed!

“Alios! Let’s go! We have to stop him!” I screamed with distressing pain.

Alios took flight position and let me onto his back. We flew faster and faster through the forest, dodging trees and canopies all along the way. Again after what seemed like an eternity, we reach the hill where Castor and Thomas stopped to fight. I see I’m just in time; Castor has just grabbed the dagger from his belt, and is looking at Thomas.

“Castor! If you take one more step I will take that dagger and shorten your life faster than you can run!” I screamed as I got off of Alios.

“Taika!” Castor said, obviously shocked, and he dropped the dagger.

“Yes, Taika! Give me the dagger you idiot!” I screamed at him.

He flung the dagger off the ground and handed it to me, I looked to Thomas, still alive, and looking pretty smug right now. I smiled, thankful that he was still alive but more so the look on his face. Also the way I had just embarrassed Castor, “It’s time for us to be getting ready for the lunch, come on Castor,” I said, “I’ll see you later, okay Thomas?”

He nodded and turned to run, he was gone in a flash. Castor began to go after him but I turned the dagger on him and held it to his chest, “If you ever do anything like this again I will have to hurt you.” I whispered furiously, “Let’s go.” I said walking past Castor. I threw his dagger in the ground at his foot.

“Tee look I’m sorry, I won’t do it gain, I promise.” Castor said, “Tee, Taika! Come on!” He caught up with me and we both climbed on Alios’ back and sped off towards the plateau. Uzoma and Benji were just arriving as we landed. I was still not talking to Castor and Uzoma was being secretive so I sat down beside Benji and struck up conversation. We sat, talked, and ate for a few hours. I let go of my grudge against Castor and decided if it was important Uzoma would tell me. The eighth sun was rising when we decided to head back, Benji and Castor took Alios and went home. Uzoma and I stayed back to talk a little longer. She got up and the grass she had been sitting in was wet, “You know, if I wasn’t made of water that would look really strange!” She laughed. After that we both went into hysterics about her Royal Highness “wetting the grass”. We laughed on our way to the edge of the plateau. When we calmed ourselves down, she asked, “Taika Nevaeh, Taika, Taika, Taika, don’t lie to me again, what happened back there?”

“Where? The meadow? Nothing, it’s fine now, no need to worry ourselves with it now.” I said.

“There is much need to worry ourselves with another vampire family! Taika, Castor loves you, as I understand it, so does Thomas. I want you to be happy, you’re like a daughter to me. If Castor and Thomas go off into the forest head-butting you have to let them! You can’t put off the final battle for much longer, dear.” She tells me.

“Final battle? Put off? What? Why? Of course I can delay their fighting!” I stuttered.

“You can delay it and you can deny it but you can never stop it! They are two very different vampire convents! They were “born” to fight Taika! There is nothing you can do about that!” She scowled at my foolishness. Tears hit the backs of my eyes, and I couldn’t stop them from coming out, “You have to make a choice, Taika, us….or them.”

“No,” I whispered, “No, no, no, no!” I kept screaming, I got up and ran for the forest. Even its visions and warnings couldn’t hurt me now. I looked back only once and saw Uzoma hang her head in discomfort.

I kept running, deeper, and deeper, into the wood. I stopped abruptly when I reached a clearing I had never seen before. I couldn’t decide whether to enter it or stay out. I laid my hand on a tree trunk and let the vision come to me. It showed me running to the clearing to find Thomas, dead, struck down by a silver dagger through his chest. I lifted my hand calmly off the tree trunk and walked toward the meadow. I did find Thomas, only he was alive, I couldn’t help but start crying again. He sat there and looked at me, confused. Once my emotions were under control I asked, “Why are you staring at me like that, Thomas?”

He looked at me with wonder and questions in his eyes, “Thomas? What is that? Why do you call me that?”
“Thomas, that’s your name, are you alright?” I asked him.

“I am fine, but I am indeed not Thomas!” He said, now angry more than curious.

I stumbled back a step. I noticed for the first time, his strange clothing and accent. He had the same messy auburn hair that Thomas does. There was something different about his eyes, they weren’t the gorgeous magenta color I know and love, they were like a liquid gold. “Your eyes, you’re not human,” I hesitated, “Are you?”

“Indeed I am not. I am a vampire, come from the Venetian family of Rome! Who are you, that so suddenly disturbs my thoughts?!” He questioned rudely.

I stood there, completely confused. He looked so much like Thomas! Unless Thomas had a twin that he never told me about. But that couldn’t be, Thomas told me everything! But maybe this was something he wanted to keep to himself. No, this must be a mistake. Thomas did tell me everything.

“Well, I am sorry for interrupting your thoughts. You look so much like someone I know.” I said kindly and slowly stepped back.

“Wait,” he said, “come back here.”

Reluctantly I stepped forward again, “Yes?”

This unknown man got up and pulled his cloak over his head before stepping in to the forest and out of the clearing, “What is your name?” he asked me.

“Taika Nevaeh and yours?” I said plainly.

“I am he called, Cosmo. I am here on a mission. Tell me Taika Nevaeh, where am I?” he asked.

What a silly question to ask, “You’re in Tirta my good man. Why are you here, a mission you say? Well what kind of mission?”

“Private matters to handle…well privately. Where do you live? I must find shelter for I have need to be rid of this retched cloak.” He says.

“It actually looks quite comfortable.” I told him.

“Yes well, it’s not. It gets very musty and thick in here.” He said disgusted.

“Well then why do you wear it?” I asked.

“I must, when Venetians enter the shadows nothing seems to go right anymore.” He informed me, ducking his head out of the reach of a branch.

I nodded, thinking it over slowly. I didn’t want to ask, specifically what would happen to them in the shadows. Lately, things going wrong involved death. I don’t think I could handle anymore death.

We continued to walk through the wood and out to the plateau edge, back to where Uzoma and I had been speaking what seemed like only a few minutes ago. She was still sitting there, her head hanging. I motioned for Cosmo to wait where he was standing and sat next to Uzoma. She looked up at me with a tear stained face.

“I am so sorry.” I said softly.

Uzoma looked up at me and nodded. “It’s alright dear; I just wanted you to understand the consequences of your choices.”

I nodded. “I understand now. I am so sorry about my actions before. But, when I was running, I found someone I think you’d like to meet.” I said and stepped back, motioning for Cosmo to come forward.

She looked up in shock and stood up, studying Cosmo. “Thomas?” She asked quietly.

Cosmo flashed me an angry look and looked at Uzoma calmly.

I smiled and shook my head. “Uzoma, this is Cosmo. He is from the Venetian family in Rome. He has come here on a private mission.”

Uzoma nodded and sat down, thinking. I walked to stand beside Cosmo, “I offered him a place to stay, would we be able to oblige?”

Uzoma got up carefully and brushed the non-existent grass from her dress, “Of course we could, and after all he is a stranger that you just ran into in the Foreboding Wood! Who just happens to come from the Venetian family of Rome! Well I don’t see what’s wrong with this situation! Do you?!” she asked impatiently.

I looked at her in complete awe, Uzoma never exploded, not like this. I had only seen this side of her once before when Adaeze came home one day after sessions and thought she was queen of the entire world. In fact she still feels this way, but does not show it to her mother anymore.

“My apologies Your Highness, I did not mean to intrude on anybody. I will get my things and be on my way, good day to you both.” Cosmo said with a bow and he began to turn away.
I flashed Uzoma a fuming look and grabbed Cosmo by the arm. “No one said you were intruding. Uzoma was simply saying that I don’t usually ask for people to stay with us that come from the Venetian family in Rome. In fact, I never do, but, she doesn’t mind.” I turned my head and smiled at Uzoma. “Does she?” I asked. Uzoma huffed a bit and then smiled back. “Of course not, you are welcome to stay with us.” She said to Cosmo and then glared at me. Cosmo smiled and walked over, taking Uzoma’s hand and kissed it gently. Uzoma blushed. “Thank you, for offering me your home.” He said quietly. Uzoma smiled and looked at me then looked at the sky. “Taika, we do need to get back and meet the others.” Uzoma said.

“I have to meet Thomas in less than twenty-minutes! Okay, Uzoma you take Cosmo back to the palace. I’ll meet Thomas and explain what’s going on.” I told them, “I’ll be back by nightfall, I promise. Make sure you feed our guest properly, Your Highness.”

“Your Highness? Oh please do not tell me that I am standing in front of Tirta’s best ruler for the past eighty years?!” Cosmo said, “But you don’t look a day over eighteen! My, my you have aged well.”

Uzoma blushed and then said, “Well the best, I don’t know about, I mean, really? Do you think so?” she blushed, obviously flattered, “Come, we will speak on the walk back to the palace.”
Cosmo stood beside her and held out his arm, to escort her on the walk.
“So tell me, why am I the greatest?” Uzoma asked, very vainly.

“Well I do very much appreciate what you did in your first ruling year! Oh my, those algae will be screaming to this day!” Cosmo said.
I listened for another second before I set out for the border.

“What took so long?” Thomas asked as I slowed to a jog, “Here, deep breaths. You need to regulate your breathing. Inhale, good, now…exhale.” He walked over to me and rubbed my back. His touch, it was so soothing. So soothing that I almost forgot that I had something to tell him, “Thomas, there’s a man, a guy, a-a-a-a-a-“He cut me off.

“A what, Taika?” he asked slowly.

“A…vampire. He’s come from the Venetians. On some, private mission.” I said.

Thomas looked disturbed, “We have to get out of here. I don’t want you anywhere near him, okay?”
I looked into his eyes and said, “Thomas, he’s staying at the palace with us, it’s kind of hard not to.”
“Damned to the breath of life for eternity.” He said.
“What is that supposed to mean?” I asked.
“It’s not important, but we need to get him out of there immediately.” He said hurriedly.
He let me on his back and we sped off away from the border.
We sped through the wood, careful not to touch any trees or logs. I still could not figure out why Thomas was so cautious with Cosmo, what was going on? I didn’t have time to think about it before we were at the palace.

“Ah, my good man!” Benji was saying to Cosmo as we walked through the door. They were laughing as if they had known each other many days now. I gave Thomas a warning look and he huffed.

“Cosmo,” I said walking toward him, “I hope that you have found everything alright?”

“Oh, but of course. I am well settled in, thank you.” He replied.

“Not for long.” Thomas said speeding toward him, fangs dripping with venom.
“Thomas, no! Stop it right now! Back up Thomas, he’s just here on a mission! Leave him alone!” I screeched.
“A mission to kill you all! That mission? Is that the mission you speak of?” he asked angrily turning on me.
I looked to Cosmo for confirmation, “Is that true? Is that why you came here?”
“That is not at all why I came here. The Venetian family ordered me here to keep him from murdering you.” He said.

I was completely shocked, I had no words for a reply, but one formed anyways, “How dare you! I do not believe that you would accuse him of such a thing! Get out of here! NOW!” I yelled.
“I did not necessarily mean you and your family, I meant that he has been hunting a great deal and the Venetians are not happy with it.” He said folding his hands together.
“Well of course he’s been hunting! You can’t expect him to starve!” I told Cosmo.
“Not starve heavens no! Just diet is all, Venetians have a dietary guideline. We are also assigned missions to help those who still hunt the living. Thomas, what have you been hunting lately and where?” he said simply.
Thomas’ fangs had retracted, which was a good sign, considering I had not tried to calm him.
I watched Thomas carefully, half expecting him to pounce on Cosmo at any second, but instead he stood breathing heavily…and looking guilty.

“Thomas,” I reached and lightly touched him arm, “What is it? Where have you been?”
He looked me in the eyes and said, “Outside Tirta, I left the sea to go and find something other than fish and those nasty under-water-forest-dwelling bears and wolves.”
As Thomas sank his head in shame I stuttered to find the words, “You-I mean-how-why-when-.” I took a deep breath and finally understood where Cosmo was going with this, “You killed a human…didn’t you?”
I lifted his chin with my finger and searched his magnificent magenta eyes for an answer, “DIDN’T YOU!?” I screamed more so than asked, right to his face. Thomas is much taller than I am but by now I was face to face with a guilt-filled vampire.
I released his chin with an angry thrust and looked all around at Benji and Cosmo, and then back to Thomas, “How could you?! You promised! You promised me! You gave me your word!” I screamed with tears running down my cheeks.
Benji reached slowly for me to try to give me his shoulder to cry on. But I jerked away and ran for my chambers. When I turned the corner I saw Thomas with his head down again, and Cosmo just standing there and Benji giving them both an evil stare. What surprised me when I reached my chambers was, Benji had not flexed my emotions tonight; he couldn’t do it. He had lost the battle of my psyche! But I was too afraid of what would happen with me and Thomas to think about it right now.
I ran to my bed and jumped on it and began to cry my eyes out. A knock on the door had made me realize that I hadn’t closed it. Of course Castor was there with an apologetic look in his eyes.
“Leave me now! I do not wish to speak with anyone!” I screamed into a muffling pillow.
Instead of following my orders he came to sit on my bedside and set his hand on the small of my back. I looked up into his eyes; my face stained by tears, his blue and gold eyes, oh how gorgeous they are! He held my stare for a minute too long and I had to blink, and when I did tears ran profusely down my face. He picked me up off the bed and held me in his arms like a small child.
“I’m sorry,” he said.
I kept my head down; buried in his chest, “Why? You did nothing to me tonight.”
“But I didn’t exactly do anything to stop it either.” He whispered.
I shifted so that I could see his face, he was staring at me, “Castor, it is not your job to stop the happenings of this world, you can’t always keep me from getting hurt. Life is a path that leads down many dark places and then some have light and suns and creatures of the best sort. Then again, life is a journey. A journey that takes us all to the depths and back a hundred times, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing that you could do, to make it any better, or any worse.”

He stared at the ground for a moment and then looked me in the eyes. Then away again quickly. Why couldn’t Castor look me in the eyes? What was he hiding from me...or even…what did he do?
“Castor what happened? You can tell me, my night can’t possibly get any worse.”
“Taika, I was spying on Thomas for the Venetians, if it hadn’t been for me you wouldn’t have found out about this whole mess.” He said quietly.
I thought for a moment, Thomas wasn’t going to tell me. He was going to keep moving on with our lives and not say a word to me. He knew how I felt about killing humans and he didn’t want to scare me or upset me and he knew he had broken the one promise that made me love him. If Thomas had never sworn to me that he would not kill humans I would never have told him that I loved him. That promise was the one thing holding us together. And Castor blames himself for all of this. I lifted my head and kissed him on the cheek, “Thank you Castor, at least you had the nerve to tell me.”
“Taika I was never going to tell you, because I didn’t want to see you hurt. I love you, more than Thomas does, but I wasn’t going to tell you what he had done because I knew it would hurt you.” He admitted.
“That does make me angry Castor but you were doing what you thought was best for me, Thomas did what was best for him, and now I am going my own direction. If he can’t keep a simple promise, or even tell me when he breaks it, then he is not the vampire I thought I loved.” I said just as Benji came in.
“Prince, your mother wishes to speak with the both of you. The meeting is ready to begin!” he said excitedly.
Castor stood up and set me gently on the ground. I flattened my skirt and followed him out of the door. I had almost forgotten about the meeting. Uzoma’s whole purpose for coming was for this confrontation and now the time had come.
Castor and I walked in on a strange scene. Iphigenia, the country that had allied with us many years ago, had representatives there. I was expecting their King, Adonis, but I saw him nowhere. Zulashaka had sent Michael, his sister, and their father Penabrin. Penabrin was a big man with a long white beard. I automatically assumed it was a sign of high position, or a really strange fad. I have never seen King Adonis, but I have been told of his kind nature, and of course, his long white beard. From the stories told of his reign I know that he is a fair and just man, I only hope that I would be able to meet him someday. I would probably fall to my knees and cry; he is my idol, my hero, and my role-model. In everything I do, I try to imagine what he would think of it. Although, it is not always easy, since I have never met him, but I still try my best. After greeting everyone, and giving Michael a hug, I sat down next to Castor. Uzoma walked into the room and motioned for me to come and sit next to her. She sat at the end of the rectangular table and Penabrin sat at the other end. On my left side were the representatives from Iphigenia. On Uzoma’s right side sat Adaeze, her daughter, Castor on her other side and then Michael on Castor’s other side. His sister stood in a corner on the other side of the room. Not only was she very timid and shy, but she was not really invited to this meeting. Penabrin wished her to attend so one day when she was old enough she could make these decisions on her own. However, one thing I do not understand is, how she is not old enough to attend an important meeting, but her father, Penabrin, let her get married and she now has a three year old daughter. The situation in Zulashaka is none of my concern. If their customs were different it was not my place to tell them when they could reproduce. As we all sat, the meeting commenced. Uzoma began asking the representatives their opinions on who they want to be ruler of Tirta. A couple people said that they were very concerned about former treaties and boundary lines being kept. The conversation about boundary lines made me think of the occurrence between Thomas and myself. Uzoma noticed my uncomfortable state and let the subject drop. Benji came in with drinks, and after trying to hold a conversation with Michael’s sister, left.
“I feel that another option should be viewed.” Said Penabrin.
I looked to Castor and Adaeze, who both seemed to be listening intently. How they could sit and listen to the insults, I had no idea. Castor seemed to want to say something, but did not. I gave him an encouraging look and he spoke with great fear, “What other option is there? We,” he indicated Adaeze, “Are the only royal children of Tirta. How could there be another option?”
“I know one.” Michael said quietly.
Everyone in the room turned to listen to him. He took in all the faces and spoke clearly and slowly, “More than ten years ago, Taika Nevaeh walked into all of our lives. She has since then accomplished many things. She has made friends with all of the citizens of Tirta; she has very compelling and overpowering opinions. Everyone has fallen for her. Would you all be able to say the same about these two?”
The question hung in the air for a long time. I couldn’t believe what Michael might be suggesting. Even the thought made my stomach jump. “Michael, could you be suggesting what the rest of us have been thinking for the past several weeks?” Uzoma asked curiously.
So they had all been thinking about it…it made me wonder when someone was going to warn me…maybe this is why she wanted me here…I had to leave, “Would anyone like some water? I can go get some.” I said stepping away from the table.
Uzoma watched me questioningly. She smoothed her dress and got up with me. I looked around the table. Everyone was watching us, Michael had a huge grin across his face, Castor was silently congratulating me with a smile, and everyone else was just staring. I suddenly noticed Adaeze looking, utterly shocked. I stood there another minute, and took in all their faces.
“You all feel this way?” I asked nervously.
A series of nods went around the table. Uzoma rested her hand on my shoulder, “We do, do you trust our decision?” she asked.
I couldn’t find the words to speak, my voice was suddenly lost. I couldn’t breathe anymore than I could speak, feeling light headed I decided to force air into my lungs by sucking in a deep breath. It was noticeable because everyone in the room thought I was about to pass out. Michael and Castor immediately jumped up and ran to my side and Uzoma was rubbing my back she looked at me with worry circling in her eyes. I looked into her eyes and gave her a hug. She was surprised by the action, but returned the movement. Tears started in my eyes and dripped down my cheek. Uzoma inhaled deeply and turned to everyone else, “I am hoping that this is a yes.” She said as she grabbed my hands and enclosed them in hers.
My voice was still at a loss, so I shook my head and Michael hugged me from behind. Castor walked over with a silver band in his hands and set it atop my head. I pulled my hair back and wrapped a band around it. Castor pulled it out slowly and turned me so I was facing him. People in the room had started to move again and no one noticed us, except Michael. He kept an eye on us the entire night. Castor grabbed my hand and gave it a light kiss. When he looked at me with is gorgeous blue and gold eyes I felt breathless, again.
“Congratulations,” he started, “Queen Taika.” And he smiled when he said the last part. I smiled back and excused myself. I was proud, and happy, but right now I couldn’t stomach what had just happened. I had become Queen of Tirta in less than thirty minutes. It was so overpowering I wasn’t sure how to handle it. Michael followed me out of the door and took me outside the palace. He bent down and morphed into his more popular mustang, and offered me a ride.
“I know of a place.” He said.
I climbed on his back without another word. We rode through the forest for about an hour when Michael pulled up short. He carefully reared up so I slid to the ground. I stood there, confused, and he transformed back into a human. Something was wrong, but that was all I knew, until I heard his voice from up above me, “You move on pretty fast,” Thomas said, “Your Highness.”
Thomas jumped down form the trees, and landed squarely on his feet. Michael stood diagonal to me, not necessarily guarding, just protecting. Michael saw the angered rough look on Thomas’ face and looked to me. Obviously something that resembled fear flickered across my expression, because Michael got defensive. He crouched and his figure faded from creature to creature; waiting for Thomas to make a move.
“Oh, hold yourself, thing!” Thomas spat, “I’m not here to hurt anyone.”
Michael didn’t relax, he only watched my face as I shook my head, “I don’t trust him…” I barely whispered. Michael didn’t like Thomas to start with…so this didn’t help anything.

Thomas snorted, “Please, Taika…I’m here to apologize. You’re here with…that.” He said, with apparent disgust to my company.
Michael was still fading when he spoke, “Better than leaving her with you.” A low growl began in Thomas’ throat.
“Hush, thing.”
“That’s Michael to you, Thomas.” He retorted.
“Show him no respect, Michael, he deserves less than nothing.” I said.

Thomas clenched his jaw, but spoke with pain, “Taika, I’m sorry. You have no idea what guilt I have been living with.”
“But you were going to let me think you had done no wrong! You were going to keep this a secret! You were going to do it again!” I tried to scream but my voice cracked twice.
He looked at me apologetically. I wanted to run into his arms and take him back…no. He had killed a human. Someone, just as innocent as myself, has been cheated out of the game of life. I will never forgive him. He was ashamed, I could tell, but the action remains. I laid my hand on Michael’s shoulder. He relaxed his crouching position and stopped fading. Michael turned his head to look at me, but I never looked away from Thomas. He was staring at the ground, now.
“Let us leave him, Michael. I’m sure Uzoma wishes to celebrate with all of us there.” I said softly.
Michael nodded and wrapped his arm around my waist-and a low growl from Thomas-as we turned and began to walk away. Thomas was at my side in a second. His eyes pleaded with me, while his soft expression had hardened, “You’re leaving me,” he realized, “forever?”
I thought about it for a minute. A lifetime with out Thomas-no, an eternity. Was it worth it? Breaking myself because I knew he wasn’t safe? Could I ever be safe in this world? Had I completely over-looked my own feelings for safety precautions? No. I have made my decision based on trust and lies, safe or not, I couldn’t be with Thomas any more.
“Forever.” I confirmed. Thomas sank to the ground and put his face in his hands. I watched him for a minute then left with Michael. He followed until we reached the palace, and I knew it. Thomas-thinking that I care for him no more-followed me to make sure I was safe. However I do still care for him. I only wish I could tell him that. It would make everything better…well…almost everything. The representatives based their decision for me to be queen, because I didn’t let my emotions interfere. And I am most certainly not starting now.
Once at the edge of the forest Michael stopped. I looked at him for a fraction of a second before he spoke, “This could possibly sound quite passé, even stupid. I’m sure you are well aware of it, but…I have to be sure.” He hesitated, “I will never do anything to hurt you. It’s not like that between us anymore, I know. Just remember I’ll always be here for you.” He finished as I began to consider the opportunity of banishing Thomas.
“I know,” I assure him, “I know that.” He half smiled and held my hand as we began to walk again. Penabrin and Michael’s sister were waiting to leave and the Iphigenian representatives were going to stay another night. As they have further to travel. Uzoma did not look pleased when we got back. Michael hugged me good-bye and promised to return in the morning. Even after I assured him that he did not have to make the commute he still insisted on coming. Penabrin shook my hand and congratulated me. After giving Uzoma some sort of warning look the three of them left without another word.
Uzoma pulled me to the side and spoke softly, but quickly, “As you know, Adonis is sick. He has information you may need.”
“What?” I asked confused.
“Pack your things; we’ve already assembled a party to travel with you in the morning.” She said.

“Uzoma, why? Whatever will I do in Iphigenia? What information does he have that you, now, with-hold from me?” I asked again.
She looked me in the eyes for a second and then grabbed my hand, “Let’s get you to bed, deary. Long day ahead of you.”
I objected all the way to my chambers and when she finally had me tucked in securely, she sat on the edge of the bed.
“Uzoma,” I began, “You realize that any information you with-hold from me, no matter importance, can be considered treachery?”
She stared at me in mock horror, “A threat? Not even three hours into your new reign! Tisk, tisk what a shame!”
I glared at her for a minute then sighed, “Fine, I won’t hold it against you. But honestly, why can’t you tell me and save me the trip?”
She looked down at the comforter and started tracing the marvelous patterns with her index finger.
“This is not my secret to tell, Taika. Adonis with-holds this from you, not me. If I had a right, I would indeed tell you. However, this is your business, not my own. Now get some sleep, like I said, long day ahead.”
“What about my things?” I asked.
She thought for a second, “I’ll send someone in the morning.”
“Who has been assembled for my travelers?” I questioned, curiously.
“Castor, Michael, the Iphigenian representatives and…Thomas.” She cringed on the last name.
“Why Thomas? He has no business here!” I yelled furiously.
“Whether you two are getting along or not, he is needed. Accept it and get some rest.” She began to walk away.
“Uzoma wait,” she turned to look at me, “If this has something to do with me, you have every right to tell me. If Adonis doesn’t understand that then he is not the fair man I thought he was. Now tell me.”
She hesitated and then walked to the door. I had failed to retrieve information. How could anyone possibly think I was good enough to be queen when I can’t even convince Uzoma to tell me a secret? She turned once more to stare at me.
“What?” I whispered.
She grabbed the door-knob and began to pull the door closed and then stopped again-to stare at me. I made the saddest face imaginable. Scrunching my eyebrows together and pulling them up in the center, and of course, sticking out my bottom lip. She sighed and closed the door a little more, “He wishes to tell you congratulations…and” she hesitated…not looking at me this time. I couldn’t see anything but her hand now, but I could hear the words that rang in my head as I went to sleep that night, “He knows who your real mother is.” And the hand disappeared.