The Lost Journal

March 22nd Negative 1987

The dreams that haunted my last night, I will never forget. My mother is alive? No, Adonis knows who she is, not where she breathes. As Uzoma promised a girl-that I have never met before- came to help me pack. She volunteered to finish up, so I left her to it. I walked to the kitchen to tell my good-byes.

“We’ll miss you. Come home safely.” Benji said. Of course he had tweaked everyone’s brain not to cry. He knew it would be harder to leave that way.
“I’ll come back soon. After all, I can’t leave my new throne unattended.” I smiled, halfheartedly.
As we gathered our things, I saw I was missing my necklace. The one my mother had given me before…well I don’t know what. Someone laid it across my chest and fastened it. I would know that sweet smell anywhere, “Taika,” Th0mas sighed, “I’m sorry. I know that you don’t want me here. I also know that you can’t forgive me. But please understand how, very, very, very, very sorry I am.”
I played with the charm for a minute; a silver star, on a silver chain. It looked more like a star a person might draw on paper, than a real star. He still stood behind me, not touching me, but I could feel his breath on my neck. “Thomas, I want you here. I want to forgive you. I want to love you again. But mostly, I want you gone. You hurt an innocent human, I can’t quite forgive that. You promised me…” I trailed off.

He sighed and took my hand-still behind me-“I’ve made other promises. Ones that I can be expected to keep. I promised to love you forever, to behave myself, and to marry you. Even now, I keep those promises, even now that you can’t stand me. La Tua Cantante, my love, La Tua Cantante.” He whispered the last part to me.

“Whether my heart beats for you is no consequence to my conscience! Only my heart aches for you, nothing more!” I whispered furiously. The tears rimmed my eyes, but never spilled over. Castor arrived with Michael in tow. They both noticed Thomas immediately and came to stand in front of me. Michael glared at Thomas and pulled me into his chest. I set my hands on his shoulders and rested my head on his chest. A heartbeat, not a human, a transitional, but right now he was as close as I could get.

Castor put a hand on my shoulder and kissed my hair. He walked away taking Thomas with him. Michael lifted my chin with one finger. For one long moment he looked me in the eyes. Michael; so much like a god out of a Greek Myth. Strong, beautiful, tan, warm, loving, sheer perfection. He closed his eyes and didn’t open them until he had kissed my forehead. He hugged my tightly-too tightly. I began to push on his shoulders and he released me, keeping only his large hands on my waist. I dropped m hands from his shoulders and took both of his, I giggled as I realized how tiny my hands are compared to his. He laughed a deep throaty sound. Uzoma appeared with the girl who packed my bags. I turned to meet her, “Uzoma, thank you.” I sighed, “I am so glad that you told me. It is easier to leave when I know what awaits me.”

“Yes well, your dear Michael would have told you on the way.” She laughed.

I turned back to Michael, “You knew?” I accused.

“You didn’t ask.” He smiled.
I scowled at him and then laughed, “Well at least I would’ve found out before we got there.”

He nodded once, a huge grin across his face.

The Iphigenian representatives cam from their chamber hall and we walked to the ships. Tirta is just like a big bubble under water. We have forests and mountains and different terrains-as any land would-inside our very own shield.

As far as I know I’ve never been outside of Tirta. Although I don’t remember much from my past; not because I was so young-but because of the accident. I can’t say that I much of that either.

La Tua Cantante, Thomas had said. The first words he spoke to me. His Coven, or family, had found me and tried to attack. He stopped them and all I remember is hearing his soft purr in my ear, “La Tua Cantante, I’ve been waiting.”

We reach the ships and begin loading. First we steer the ships to a wide river. Once in the river we are carried to the top of the “shield” and we are deposited right on the surface of the water. It’s a vast ocean, dark and threatening. I set my things down in my designated cabin. I and one of the Iphigenian representatives, share a cabin. Castor, Michael, and the other representative share the one down the hall. Thomas stays on deck the entire time. The trip should only take around four days, so I settle myself in the room and prepare for the journey. I learn my cabin mates name in Anal. She is a very kind lady, and only nineteen.

We play many card games with Castor and Michael while Ba’al, the other man, talks with Thomas. All of us have a, much needed, good time.

The third night on the ship I overhear Michael and Castor on the bow.

“I’m telling you, something’s not right!” Michael whispered.
“Calm down transformer, I’m sure you’re overlooking something.” Castor said.
“Ugh!” Michael grunted, ignoring the inferior comment, “Something’s wrong with this situation, you’d think he’d have made his move by now, damn it!”

“In due time, boy, due time. But what makes you think that he would have chosen now to do something, hmm?”

“It just feels like him. I know that he’s not here yet, but he’s on his way, and he’s planning something bad.” Michael whispered cautiously.

“The Lucius Ennead have better things to do than hunt down Thomas. Besides, it wasn’t him this time.” Castor said, simply.

So that was it. The Lucius Ennead is looking for Thomas, again. I hadn’t seen Cosmo in the last few days at home. Where did he go? Well, maybe I just missed him, is all. No, I would have seen him, at the least trailing behind Uzoma. I wonder if he left without saying good-bye.

A rustling of cloth behind me made me jump, “Oh!” I gasped.
“I apologize, dear Taika, I did not mean to startle you.” The figure said. I knew the voice, and the black cloak was a definite give away.

“Cosmo, what are you doing here? Where have you been? Well I mean, at the palace, obviously you aren’t supposed to be here, well you’re not supposed to be here now either. What was I saying?” I rambled.

He chuckled and gave my hand a kiss, “Taika, you make me smile. Come, let us tell the others of my arrival.” Without offering to escort me, he wedged his arm between my elbow and my waist. When we walked out on the deck, Michael and Castor had resumed a game of chess and Thomas was sitting on the edge of the ship, watching the waves. I noticed him stiffen when the wind blew.

Michael and Castor looked guiltily surprised. Had they been referring to Cosmo, earlier? Cosmo worked for the Lucius Ennead. The rule keepers, I guess one could say. There are nine rules that all of the Iphigenians, Zul’s, and Tirtians, have to abide by. I have not been permitted to learn these rules; all I know is that if one creature goes on a killing spree-or even kills outside of their hunting grounds-they are sought by the Lucius Ennead. That process is how I came across Cosmo in the woods. Thomas killed outside of his territory and so he had to be stopped.

Anal made a small fire in the pit and Castor, Michael, Cosmo and I sat around it and talked. I sat in between Michael and Castor, and across from Cosmo and Anal. I was speaking with everyone but I noticed Cosmo seemed especially interested and he was staring at me all night. Anal and I went to our cabin, with Michael following. We had an extra bed and because we now have an unexpected visitor, someone needed to give up their bed. Of course Michael knew the ‘consequences’ of that so he gave up his, with out a fuss. He made his bed and Anal and I pulled our curtains shut so we could change. Michael didn’t try anything, thank goodness. And when I opened my curtain Anal was already in bed and Michael was morphing into a dog so he could sleep. I have never seen a transitional sleep before, this could get interesting. He jumped onto the bed and circled a few times. I couldn’t tell in the dark but it looked like he was a white husky. I laughed quietly to myself and then crawled into bed. The last noise I heard was scratching and whimpering, then a faint growl, not that of a dog.